Hoosiers

Voldog1998

Watched this movie the other day and hadn’t seen it in awhile but it has to be the greatest basketball movie ever and could make a claim to be the best sports movie ever. Gene Hackman and Dennis Hopper are just fantastic in it and it’s loosely based on a true story. What are some of y’all’s favorite sports movies?

Watched this movie the other day and hadn’t seen it in awhile but it has to be the greatest basketball movie ever and could make a claim to be the best sports movie ever. Gene Hackman and Dennis Hopper are just fantastic in it and it’s loosely based on a true story. What are some of y’all’s favorite sports movies?

I would probably say as far as basketball movies go I might like Glory Road a tad better. Mostly just because Hoosiers is so dated though.

My favorite sports movie is Any Given Sunday, followed pretty closely by Greatest Game Ever Played.

Reactions: Voldog1998

Hoosiers is top 5 in my book. Not sure I understand the dated comment above - it's a period piece.

Top spot would be tough for me between The Natural and Tin Cup.

Hoosiers is top 5 in my book. Not sure I understand the dated comment above - it's a period piece.

It's just a really old movie, some parts are hard to watch because of it.

I would probably say as far as basketball movies go I might like Glory Road a tad better. Mostly just because Hoosiers is so dated though.

My favorite sports movie is Any Given Sunday, followed pretty closely by Greatest Game Ever Played.
Glory Road was set in 1966…didn’t see any smartphones. 🤔

Most movies that my family liked growing up were watched 2 or 3 times, maybe. Then there are movies like Hoosiers, which we must've watched 25x. That and Major League (just my Dad and I, shhhh) are the only sports movies we watched that many times.

I think the lighter ones are usually best. It's hard for Hollywood to get sports right, so when it's a serious movie, it really takes me out of it when they **** up rules, and the most basic stuff.

Major League
The Sandlot
Hoosiers
Warrior
Dodgeball
Happy Gilmore

I think the lighter ones are usually best. It's hard for Hollywood to get sports right, so when it's a serious movie, it really takes me out of it when they **** up rules, and the most basic stuff.

Major League
The Sandlot
Hoosiers
Warrior
Dodgeball
Happy Gilmore

Ok scrap everything I said if we're considering Warrior a sports movie (as it should be, I hadn't thought about it)

Warrior is absolutely, indisputably, my favorite sports movie. IMO it's the most underrated movie there is.

Ok scrap everything I said if we're considering Warrior a sports movie (as it should be, I hadn't thought about it)

Warrior is absolutely, indisputably, my favorite sports movie. IMO it's the most underrated movie there is.

It kinda breaks my rule about Hollywood not knowing the sport, but it's still so damn good. I'm not that big of a fan of Nolte, but that's one of the greatest performances I've ever seen. Legitimately

Those are some good ones. I need to watch Glory Road again.

Exactly I think they captured 1951 and 1952 Indiana wonderfully in the movie I’m sure there is some goofs in it but I always felt like it does a good job of taking you back to that time period.

Warrior is a awesome movie.

It kinda breaks my rule about Hollywood not knowing the sport, but it's still so damn good. I'm not that big of a fan of Nolte, but that's one of the greatest performances I've ever seen. Legitimately
Remember Nolte was the coach in Blue Chips too.

Hoosiers is definitely up there. I know a lot in Rudy is fictitious, but I still enjoy it.

Tin Cup is an all time favorite . So many great lines. A League of Their Own is a favorite. The Replacements. Bull Durham. Any Given Sunday.. Pacino’s pregame speech is amazing . Major League. The Express. We Are Marshall.

I probably could go on.

Hoosiers is definitely up there. I know a lot in Rudy is fictitious, but I still enjoy it.

Tin Cup is an all time favorite . So many great lines. A League of Their Own is a favorite. The Replacements. Bull Durham. Any Given Sunday.. Pacino’s pregame speech is amazing . Major League. The Express. We Are Marshall.

I probably could go on.
Great list of movies there. I love Bull Durham

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Remember the Titans
Draft Day
The Greatest Game Ever Played
The Legend of Bagger Vance

Sports comedies:

Major League
Caddyshack
The Sandlot (a true nostalgic film)
A League of their Own

Sports dramas:

Remember the Titans
Friday Night Lights
Hoosiers
Coach Carter
Glory Road
Days of Thunder
Field of Dreams (a true guy cry)

My all time favorite sports movie is Miracle.

I mean, we all know how it was going to end but the build they did to have coach build those kids and get them to hate him so much that they bonded together and finally realized they were all playing for the same team was great. And when Eruzione hit that go ahead goal, the chill bumps came out. Just very well acted and hit all the right notes for me throughout.

VN Store

Back