HORROR: Toronto Hospital Preps Assisted Suicide For Children, Might Not Inform Parents

Franklin Pierce

The oft-mocked "slippery slope" arguments from conservatives with regard to euthanasia are terrifyingly coming to fruition in Canada.

Last month, a group of medics from Toronto's Hospital for Sick Children outlined their plans for administering "medically assisted suicidal" for patients under the age of 18 in the "near future." The paper, published in the British Medical Journal, asserts their commitment to "patient confidentially" with such hypothetical children, stating that there will likely be cases where a "capable" child patient could undergo the "assisted suicide" without parents being informed first.

"This article explores the ethical challenges of providing Medical Assistance in Dying (MAID) in a paediatric setting," reads the paper's abstract. "More specifically, we focus on the theoretical questions that came to light when we were asked to develop a policy for responding to MAID requests at our tertiary paediatric institution."

"While MAID is currently available to capable patients in Canada who are 18 years or older—a small but important subsection of the population our hospital serves—we write our policy with an eye to the near future when capable young people may gain access to MAID," the paper affirms, adding, "By providing a record of our in-progress thinking, we hope to stimulate wider discussion about the issues and questions encountered in this work."

And parents might not be notified about their child's "decision" to have doctors kill them.

HORROR: Toronto Hospital Preps Assisted Suicide For Children, Might Not Inform Parents

Never understood why people dont just stick around and see what happens. What really screws my mind around is the people who are too scared to try drugs because they might get addicted. You literally want to kill yourself, try ANYTHING not to feel that way.

Never understood why people dont just stick around and see what happens. What really screws my mind around is the people who are too scared to try drugs because they might get addicted. You literally want to kill yourself, try ANYTHING not to feel that way.
I liked, but to a point.

I am for euthanasia. Even for kids. If the choice between a drawn out battle with a terminal painful debilitating disease or passing relatively peacefully, give me and my child the right to choose the least worse option.

I am for euthanasia. Even for kids. If the choice between a drawn out battle with a terminal painful debilitating disease or passing relatively peacefully, give me and my child the right to choose the least worse option.
The last part of your post .. “give ME and my child “ would you want a child to decide that without your knowledge ?

The oft-mocked "slippery slope" arguments from conservatives with regard to euthanasia are terrifyingly coming to fruition in Canada.

Last month, a group of medics from Toronto's Hospital for Sick Children outlined their plans for administering "medically assisted suicidal" for patients under the age of 18 in the "near future." The paper, published in the British Medical Journal, asserts their commitment to "patient confidentially" with such hypothetical children, stating that there will likely be cases where a "capable" child patient could undergo the "assisted suicide" without parents being informed first.

"This article explores the ethical challenges of providing Medical Assistance in Dying (MAID) in a paediatric setting," reads the paper's abstract. "More specifically, we focus on the theoretical questions that came to light when we were asked to develop a policy for responding to MAID requests at our tertiary paediatric institution."

"While MAID is currently available to capable patients in Canada who are 18 years or older—a small but important subsection of the population our hospital serves—we write our policy with an eye to the near future when capable young people may gain access to MAID," the paper affirms, adding, "By providing a record of our in-progress thinking, we hope to stimulate wider discussion about the issues and questions encountered in this work."

And parents might not be notified about their child's "decision" to have doctors kill them.

Interesting how you left out the next paragraph.

Roust...Stupid comment. In many ways. Wtf?

A man has a right to die just as surely as he has a right to live.

This makes seatbelts and seatbelt laws complete bullsheet. Me wearing a seatbelt does not in any way make other citizens around me or in my car safer. Just me. If i want to die in a catastrophic potential car wreck rather than being a quadriplgic nuisance, thats my right. Period. If you dont think so youre a hypocrit dem in disguise and need to mind your own damn business.

My freedoms, or any other US citizens freedoms, only end when they infringe upon another mans right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Mind your own damn business. In case you missed it the first time.

By the way, i have a blood pact with my best friend/ also boss..made 25 years ago and renewed every few years...if either of us gets mortally wounded and becomes a quadriplegic etc and a burden to those we love most...we are obligated to kill eachother. We mean that. Being a burden to those i love most is a very real fear...and is for him too.

If you think that is any of your business, or the feds...eff you and the horse you rode in on...oh, and mind your own damn business.

The last part of your post .. “give ME and my child “ would you want a child to decide that without your knowledge ?
I would not. Have a hard time imagining a scenario where i would be agreeable to it.

Reactions: 0nelilreb

Agree. Just because we technically can keep going a little longer due to the ever expanding field of modern medicine and treatment, does not mean that we should in all cases. For many, that type of life is no life to live at all, and to hell with anyone who suggests you have no say in how you choose to go in such an awful situation.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Agree. Just because we technically can keep going a little longer due to the ever expanding field of modern medicine and treatment, does not mean that we should in all cases. For many, that type of life is no life to live at all, and to hell with anyone who suggests you have no say in how you choose to go in such an awful situation.
My mom was physically viable for almost 24 months after her dementia destroyed her mind and personality. It was surreal to accept she (the essence of who she was) was dead even though her body was still alive. Before that time, i knew what is was to be alive. Now, I'm not so sure. And that's real talk.

My mom was physically viable for almost 24 months after her dementia destroyed her mind and personality. It was surreal to accept she (the essence of who she was) was dead even though her body was still alive. Before that time, i knew what is was to be alive. Now, I'm not so sure. And that's real talk.

Similar to my grandmother. Truly is one of the most depressing things to experience.

Similar to my grandmother. Truly is one of the most depressing things to experience.
Agreed. It is my biggest fear.

Later that year, dad passed from pancreatic cancer. Once his fate was inevitable, i think he would have preferred to check out early. I cant say for sure because i was unable to ever broach the subject with him. I couldn't bring myself to do it.

I saw you gave 300 dollars to Duncan and his wife fighting cancer. Thats a lot of money, a lot more than i can afford to give, and i just want to say that i respect that, and you very much. His wife and my dad got cancer at the same time. My dad left quick, and with his dignity, and they are about to go back thru the Hell that is cancer. Youre a damn good guy.

I work with dementia patients and it’s very hard on the families. It is, however, much better for the person to have a viable body and their mind gone...... then be fully aware and a broken down body.

reading the article the story gets even weirder/worse.

it sounds like the "victim" wanted to be killed. possibly doing worse on the test to get her diagnosis of Aspergers on purpose, which allowed the hospital to kill her. also sounds like the doctor has been tied to other questionable cases, and in this case might have been sought out after the last doctor to see the "victim" refused the "victims" request of euthanasia.

what a messed up world we live in.

I am kinda fine with medical assisted suicide in the case of terminal patients, or those in extreme pain. but that doesn't sound like the case here. she was just unhappy, maybe depressed. instead of trying to help/treat her they just kill you over there.

I work with dementia patients and it’s very hard on the families. It is, however, much better for the person to have a viable body and their mind gone...... then be fully aware and a broken down body.
I agree with this wholeheartedly. My father passed away from Alzheimer's. The last year of his life, his mind was gone for the most part, but when I would walk in and see him he would light up. He didn't know why or who I was, but he was happy. Mom on the other hand had a broken body and her last few months were painful. Dad had the better deal by a long shot. Tomorrow is 7 years since I lost my dad. I miss him every day still.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. My father passed away from Alzheimer's. The last year of his life, his mind was gone for the most part, but when I would walk in and see him he would light up. He didn't know why or who I was, but he was happy. Mom on the other hand had a broken body and her last few months were painful. Dad had the better deal by a long shot. Tomorrow is 7 years since I lost my dad. I miss him every day still.

My dad had Parkinson’s and was much like your mom , the last 7 days were terrible . I understand completely . 4 years this past August . Some days are much harder than others to make it through .

VN Store

Back