How Far Will NIL Capitalism Go?

WoodsmanVol

It takes wisdom to understand wisdom.
Word is OK State players will have QR codes on their helmets. You use your phone or other device to scan and make donations to their NIL collective or something. Now, I don't pay attention to QR codes myself. I think the digital age makes it too easy for clever but malicious people to steal and otherwise rip you off. But I wonder, how far is this NIL thing going to go. Personally, I don't oppose players getting in on making money off their name, image, and likeness. I believe had the bigwigs not been so greedy and one-sided, we probably never would have had the NIL mess we see now. But capitalism being what it is, I wonder just how far this is going to go.

Word is OK State players will have QR codes on their helmets. You use your phone or other device to scan and make donations to their NIL collective or something. Now, I don't pay attention to QR codes myself. I think the digital age makes it too easy for clever but malicious people to steal and otherwise rip you off. But I wonder, how far is this NIL thing going to go. Personally, I don't oppose players getting in on making money off their name, image, and likeness. I believe had the bigwigs not been so greedy and one-sided, we probably never would have had the NIL mess we see now. But capitalism being what it is, I wonder just how far this is going to go.
I noticed the same about OK State. A sign of the times and quite the conversation piece. I’m not sure where it’s all headed, but it will be interesting, no doubt.

I don’t know what the program’s financial status is, but I’d bet we see a lot of the “second tier” athletic programs implement some out-of-the-box ideas to remain as competitive as possible.

Reactions: BDP!
Im not crazy about putting a qr code on the helmet. The helmet seems like a bit too much.

But i would be all about putting one on placards at the stadium, on sponsored commercials during games, etc.

NIL has us back in the game. The money we as a collective fan base has raised has landed some serious talent that otherwise maybe we wouldn’t get.

rand-capitalism.jpg

Reactions: Frozevol
There are no depths that teams will go to raise NIL money. You will see similar things in the commercials schools run during games. Every chance they get, these things will be front and center.

Do the QR codes go to the players or to their collective?

I’d LOVE to grease the players directly.

Collective not so much!

Reactions: VolFanatic27
Do the QR codes go to the players or to their collective?

I’d LOVE to grease the players directly.

Collective not so much!

I think collectives but individual contributions are probablynext. Can you imagine? Your favorite player scores a TD and you immediately spot him $100?

Reactions: kcvols1

I was watching the stars edition of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire and the NIL question popped up and host Jimmy Kimmel is a lifeline option and he provided them with the answer to the question, "What does the L stand for in NIL?"

One of the participants during this game was Jason Ritter,

Ray Romano and Brad Garrett participated in the other game tonight.

I'm waiting for the first story of an unscrupulous equipment manager that puts a QR code on some helmets that point to their own bank account to syphon off some of those impulse dollars.

Reactions: EZE and WoodsmanVol
I'm waiting for the first story of an unscrupulous equipment manager that puts a QR code on some helmets that point to their own bank account to syphon off some of those impulse dollars.
Bet it happens. Greed and thievery seems to be DNA driven these days.

Reactions: kcvols1
There should be QR codes for individual players.
This way, when a homer sees a player make a play, and is swept up
with team spirit, they can take their mobile and donate on the spot.
You'll know which player brought the money in because it's tracked.

Cyber theft, clever 'puter people figure out ways to do it. Just ask the likes of Chase Bank, Pfizer, IMF, and various insurers.
Not to mention so many elder and even wealthy folks who should not be so easily preyed upon.

The only thing I care about is watching the team I grew up with put on a jersey and play on Saturday. The in-between doesn't matter to me. The names don't mean anything, the money means nothing to me. I'll watch that team when the names come and go and the money comes and goes. Whether they're good or bad I'll support them. I'll donate to non profit charity and watch football.

Heck as a player, just put a QR for your Venmo!

Why not cut out the middle man?

Reactions: OneVolNation
Heck as a player, just put a QR for your Venmo!

Why not cut out the middle man?
Likely the only reason that won't happen is because the helmets belong to the schools.

It's extremely clear from the behavior of the schools that they support and sue to broaden the freedom of NIL and the transfer portal.

The schools..... read it carefully..... THE SCHOOLS are the ones destroying what we've known as college football.

I think collectives but individual contributions are probablynext. Can you imagine? Your favorite player scores a TD and you immediately spot him $100?
Imagine when McGrath hit that FG to beat Bama if we could have thrown him some dough?

Instant millionaire. I know I would have hit him with a $100 spot, minimum.

Reactions: OneVolNation

VN Store

Back