Hubbs is reporting Spence

Why in the world this guy would turn down this job with the pay raise that we were offering is beyond me. Clemson must be offering him a raise or something. I don't see why anyone would rather be an OC at Clemson than UT.

Apparently that has been the plan all along, to leverage the UT job for more $$ at Clemson, and I don't think an official offer was ever made. His loss.

If Fulmer hires Kippy Brown as OC I am going to be very disappointed. This is his chance to show us something. Shake things up. Demonstrate an ability to adapt and change with the times. Fulmer is dangerously close to wasting a gem of an opportunity to win back some of us.

Nothing about hiring Spence seemed like an upgrade over Cutcliffe...and, with the current state of Tennessee football, Fulmer with have to make a splash with this hire and bring in an offensive coach that has some clout.

This will all work out, and UT will get its man, but it doesn't really look good for Tennessee to have a Clemson coach turn down a higher paying job in Knoxville to stay with the Tigers.

Great... who really wanted him anyways?

The spread guys want someone else (Hatcher) and the 'pocket passer' gang likes KB and DM far more.

Kippy Brown is my last choice, utmba. I'd rather have Sanders back quite frankly. Everything I have read, which could be complete horse manure, has indicated that it is Spence or Brown. I was not thrilled over Spence but I figured he was a heck of a lot better than Brown or Adkins. It really drives me nuts that so many people are on Brown's bandwagon right now. The guy was an OC for one stinking year in Miami when the Dolphins were in a jam and needed a warm body. He did not last in the position and in the near decade since nobody else has offered him a similar opportunity. I just don't think he is qualified. I think two things are going one here. One, people like the fact that he has UTK ties. While I don't think that means much I accept that it is a feather in his cap under the present administration. Second, there seems to be some assumption that he will be a great recruiter but the guy has not recruited in 15 years. I just don't get it.

Brown has turned countless players into pro bowlers is why some people are hot on him--Andre Johnson is one-- He is excellent with WRs and RBs. I like you am not sure about his recruiting ability and his play calling ability. Thus like others we hope for some sort of package with him being asst head coach/wrs/rbs/coach and another OC like Spence. I am not sure how this is going to play out but feel good that Brown will make our Rbs and WRs better at least.

I got no problem with him coaching WR and/or RB (might be quite a chore to do both), I just want someone with more experience/success as an OC or head coach with playcalling responsibility.

Why in the world this guy would turn down this job with the pay raise that we were offering is beyond me. Clemson must be offering him a raise or something. I don't see why anyone would rather be an OC at Clemson than UT.
He also turned down huge money from Alabama last year, and an opportunity to coach in the NFL. Apparently he and Bowden are really close and his family situation had a role in keeping him there last year.

I'm glad he is isn't coming, didn't really seem like an uprade from Rut to me. The question still remains, who is going to take the reins? Will CPF make a splash hire?
I hope so or we could be doomed to more mediocre football on Rocky Top.

Kippy Brown is my last choice, utmba. I'd rather have Sanders back quite frankly. Everything I have read, which could be complete horse manure, has indicated that it is Spence or Brown. I was not thrilled over Spence but I figured he was a heck of a lot better than Brown or Adkins. It really drives me nuts that so many people are on Brown's bandwagon right now. The guy was an OC for one stinking year in Miami when the Dolphins were in a jam and needed a warm body. He did not last in the position and in the near decade since nobody else has offered him a similar opportunity. I just don't think he is qualified. I think two things are going one here. One, people like the fact that he has UTK ties. While I don't think that means much I accept that it is a feather in his cap under the present administration. Second, there seems to be some assumption that he will be a great recruiter but the guy has not recruited in 15 years. I just don't get it.

HB, Jimmy Johnson doesn't hire 'warm bodies' as OC's. When CJJ retired, KB went back to being a position coach for a couple years before taking the HC job for an XFL team in his home state, if you count Memphis. He's a Tennesssee man, so Memphis was desirable and we all know how badly Memphis has tried (and failed) to get pro football over the years. So, the XFL was a total bust. KB went right back to being an NFL position coach and interviewed for the HC position with the Texasans in Jan 2006.

He had the popularity of Trooper when he was on the hill before. The guy can coach AND recruit.

VN Store

Back