Humphrey begged police not to arrest him

Athensvol

Humphrey begged police not to arrest him

Georgia star told officers, 'You will ruin my career,' during traffic stop

By CHRIS VIVLAMORE
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 06/27/08

University of Georgia basketball player Billy Humphrey pleaded with police not to arrest him and was later warned that he could be tasered, according to the police report of his drunken driving arrest obtained by the AJC.

Humphrey, 20, was arrested Tuesday morning in Gwinnett County for DUI, failure to maintain his lane and purchasing alcohol while under age.

According to the police report, Humphrey said "Please, please, please. I am begging you not to do this. You will ruin my career." The report indicates that Humphrey made the statement after acknowledging that he had "a few drinks" and was responding to the officer's question on what he had been drinking.

Prior to submitting to field sobriety tests, the police report states "the driver told me that he knows that he had been drinking and that he was only going two more lights up the road and then he was going to his mom's house. The driver then asked me if I could just follow him home."

After agreeing to and failing several sobriety tests, the report states the Humphrey was "slightly hesitant" when asked to turn around to be placed in handcuffs. "The driver was advised that if he did not turn around, he would be shot with a taser," according to the police report. Humphrey was placed in double-locked handcuffs.

According to the police report, an inventory of the silver Chevy Monte Carlo Humphrey was driving discovered a half full quart bottle of Bacardi rum in a black back pack on the back seat.

It was Humphrey's second arrest on alcohol-related charges since February. According to Georgia Athletic Association rules, he faces a 15-game suspension. Humphrey, from Dacula, was also placed on probation for 18 months and entered into a pretrial diversion program as a results on a November felony weapons charge for having a butterfly knife in his dorm room. He was suspended for a total of four games last season for the two incidents.

Georgia head coach Dennis Felton issued a statement Thursday indicating that the school was looking into the matter and would not immediately comment.

Humphrey was Georgia's second-leading scorer last season and helped the team to the NCAA Tournament.

he'd be stupid to not mention who he was. you never know some cop might be a fan and let him off.

he'd be stupid to not mention who he was. you never know some cop might be a fan and let him off.
Absolutely. Which one of us wouldn't try everyting possible to keep from getting busted after getting caught being stupid?

I just don't understand why guys do this. You've got everything laid out in front of you and you just throw it away. It just doesn't make sense. :no:
The landscape is littered with dumbasses. Explanations for that are few and far between.

I just don't understand why guys do this. You've got everything laid out in front of you and you just throw it away. It just doesn't make sense. :no:

It's frequently because these young men are simply too immature to understand the consequences behind their actions. They feel invincible, and many times college life is the first time they've been allowed such a large amount of freedom so they make stupid choices. It really isn't all that different than any number of college students. The difference is we don't hear about them because they don't have athletic scholarships to lose.

Absolutely. Which one of us wouldn't try everyting possible to keep from getting busted after getting caught being stupid?
Lord knows I dropped my dad's name trying to get out of a few speeding tickets (he was a state trooper)

The unfortunate thing here is this may also end Felton's career at UGA. He has done a pretty good job trying to clean up the mess left him by the Harricks, but with Evans and Adams riding him he may not survive after next season. He is one of the few UGA coaches I actually like, as long as they aren't playing UT.

VN Store

Back