I’ve been a UT baseball fan since the early 90s

NighthawkVol

I remember the stars of the team being Doug Hecker, Mike Basse, and Chris Freeman, to name a few. I remember going out in the backyard as a kid to listen to games on the radio and hoping we’d one day be among the SEC greats like LSU and even Florida. I remember getting my Manny’s Baseball Land catalog and ordering those cool new black caps that Delmonico brought to the program. Delmonico was a young up and comer, tutored under the great Mike Martin at FSU. We hoped he would bring us glory. To some extent, he did.

A few years later, I remember staying at my friend’s house so we could watch the Vols in the CWS against Clemson; our first CWS since 1951. His grandmother had satellite and that was the only way to watch the game. The Vols, behind Todd Helton and Bubba Trammell did beat Clemson. But I recall that a little known Outfielder/Pitcher named Scott Schroeffel was the real hero of that game. And while RA Dickey was the star pitcher, Nashville’s Wyatt Allen was our best pitcher that postseason. We couldn’t get last Cal State Fullerton, though. No one could. But I believe we were the 2nd best team in Omaha that year.

Of course, there were two more CWS appearances before landing in the wilderness. It became harder to follow UT baseball. Meanwhile, the popularity of college baseball around the nation and the SEC exploded. I desperately wished that UT would be good again so we could participate in the fun and improved exposure the sport was enjoying. Instead, we languished. Hated Vanderbilt built a national power. Gross.

Vitello has changed all that. This not only feels good, but it feels real. Permanent. Not an up and down thing like Delmonico had, but a solid foundation…a team that will compete for Omaha year in and year out. And a fan base that has fallen in love. I’m in love too. I’d rather have a great baseball program than a great basketball program any day of the week. That’s what we have now. And this board has become really fun because folks participate as a result of all the success. I don’t just “lurk” to get news, I engage…and I’ve enjoyed that.

For those of you who have been baseball fans for years like me, you deserve this success. Soak it in. And if you’re just now catching on due to this team’s success…welcome aboard. You’re seeing how great college baseball can be.

We’ve had a great season. Super Regionals start tonight. I believe that this team will win 2 games and make it to Omaha. Once there, I wouldn’t bet against them.

Thanks, y’all, for being a part of this incredible ride. Let’s enjoy the rest of it, starting with a win in Game 1 tonight.

Go Big Orange!

Last edited:
One of the prizes of my childhood was my Steve Searcy rookie card. I thought it was so cool that a guy from just down the road from me, was a Detroit Tiger! From that point on, I was a Tennessee baseball fan, all thanks to Steve Searcy.
GBO!!

I remember the stars of the team being Doug Hecker, Mike Basse, and Chris Freeman, to name a few. I remember going out in the backyard as a kid to listen to games on the radio and hoping we’d one day be among the SEC greats like LSU and even Florida. I remember getting my Manny’s Baseball Land catalog and ordering those cool new black caps that Delmonico brought to the program. Delmonico was a young up and comer, tutored under the great Mike Martin at FSU. We hoped he would bring us glory. To some extent, he did.

A few years later, I remember staying at my friend’s house so we could watch the Vols in the CWS against Clemson; our first CWS since 1951. His grandmother had satellite and that was the only way to watch the game. The Vols, behind Todd Helton and Bubba Trammell did beat Clemson. But I recall that a little known Outfielder/Pitcher named Scott Schroeffel was the real hero of that game. And while RA Dickey was the star pitcher, Nashville’s Wyatt Allen was our best pitcher that postseason. We couldn’t get last Cal State Fullerton, though. No one could. But I believe we were the 2nd best team in Omaha that year.

Of course, there were two more CWS appearances before landing in the wilderness. It became harder to follow UT baseball. Meanwhile, the popularity of college baseball around the nation and the SEC exploded. I desperately wished that UT would be good again so we could participate in the fun and improved exposure the sport was enjoying. Instead, we languished. Hated Vanderbilt built a national power. Gross.

Vitello has changed all that. This not only feels good, but it feels real. Permanent. Not an up and down thing like Delmonico had, but a solid foundation…a team that will compete for Omaha year in and year out. And a fan base that has fallen in love. I’m in love too. I’d rather have a great baseball program than a great basketball program any day of the week. That’s what we have now. And this board has become really fun because folks participate as a result of all the success. I don’t just “lurk” to get news, I engage…and I’ve enjoyed that.

For those of you who have been baseball fans for years like me, you deserve this success. Soak it in. And if you’re just now catching on due to this team’s success…welcome aboard. You’re seeing how great college baseball can be.

We’ve had a great season. Super Regionals start tonight. I believe that this team will win 2 games and make it to Omaha. Once there, I wouldn’t bet against them.

Thanks, y’all, for being a part of this incredible ride. Let’s enjoy the rest of it, starting with a win in Gane 1 tonight.

Go Big Orange!

Great memory you have there! Small correction though, Bubba was not on the 95 team and neither was Wyatt Allen.

Scott Schroeffel was a great player we got when he transferred from FSU. Chris Freeman was an incredibly nice guy who flat out could pitch. He attacked hitters and knew how to get outs. Devastating split finger.

I knew we were the best team in Omaha and would win it that year. We unfortunately ran into a buzz saw in Cal State. Mark Kotsey destroyed pitching during the tournament and pretty much carried them to the championship. Augie Garrido was their coach.

If you watch the news story from WVLT with me earlier this week, I made a statement about our 95 team and this year's team. I'm very proud of what the 95 team accomplished and can't tell you how thankful I am to have been a part of it. But it's time to take our accomplishments and go to the next level. That next level is to win a championship.

Additionally, we arguably had better talent on the 94 team. Our pitching was lights out. Chris Freeman, Bronson Heflin, and RA Dickey was the rotation. We had the power duo of Bubba Trammel and Helton.

Looking back at that year, we were loaded.

Great memory you have there! Small correction though, Bubba was not on the 95 team and neither was Wyatt Allen.

Scott Schroeffel was a great player we got when he transferred from FSU. Chris Freeman was an incredibly nice guy who flat out could pitch. He attacked hitters and knew how to get outs. Devastating split finger.

I knew we were the best team in Omaha and would win it that year. We unfortunately ran into a buzz saw in Cal State. Mark Kotsey destroyed pitching during the tournament and pretty much carried them to the championship. Augie Garrido was their coach.

If you watch the news story from WVLT with me earlier this week, I made a statement about our 95 team and this year's team. I'm very proud of what the 95 team accomplished and can't tell you how thankful I am to have been a part of it. But it's time to take our accomplishments and go to the next level. That next level is to win a championship.

I was thinking of Ryan Meyers. Both he and Allen were Brentwood Academy guys, I believe. But Meyers was the one who pitched so well in the postseason that year.

Forgot Trammell was gone by then. But Copley was on that team, right?

Reactions: ArdentVol
I was thinking of Ryan Meyers. Both he and Allen were Brentwood Academy guys, I believe. But Meyers was the one who pitched so well in the postseason that year.

Yes, Ryan Meyers. He really was an unsung hero of that postseason and really the season all together. He had a great cut fastball.

Trammel's last year was 94. Jordan Beck reminds me of Trammel.

Copley was a freshman. Beautiful long swing. Very similar to Max Ferguson. I believe he was All SEC freshman and maybe national recognition.

Yes, Ryan Meyers. He really was an unsung hero of that postseason and really the season all together. He had a great cut fastball.

Trammel's last year was 94. Jordan Beck reminds me of Trammel.

Copley was a freshman. Beautiful long swing. Very similar to Max Ferguson. I believe he was All SEC freshman and maybe national recognition.

I hadn’t thought of the Beck-Trammell comparison, but now that you mention it, I see it.

Meyers was the Saturday starter that year after Dickey on Fridays. Was Schroeffel the Sunday guy? Seems like he was. Then played CF when he was t pitching.

Good post, I'm a bit older than you and it feels good to be relevant again.
To all the old timers and newbies, party it up this weekend. No matter the outcome just keep on partying.
Hopefully the last game we play will be winning it all in Omaha.

Let's GBO !!
Very well said Greg. Zues best summarizes my feelings. Dad introduced me to Vol ball some time in the early 50s,. Remember Bill Wright's teams but it was Scrap Iron's presence that got me to my first DV game.l
Time for- my pre=game ritual.

GBO!!!! It has ben a long winding and rocky road

I hadn’t thought of the Beck-Trammell comparison, but now that you mention it, I see it.

Meyers was the Saturday starter that year after Dickey on Fridays. Was Schroeffel the Sunday guy? Seems like he was. Then played CF when he was t pitching.

If i remember, most of the season it was Dickey and Meyers on Friday and Saturday. Sunday's were a play it by ear. Schroeffel started but so did Helton. If Helton threw relief on Friday or Saturday, he typically didn't start Sunday, Schroefell did. Delmonico did an amazing job of juggling our pitching staff and putting us in the best position to succeed.

I think Coply was just after 95 like 96 or 97 . He was a soddy kid. I could be wrong. It's only been decades.

I started watching college baseball that 94/95 year. Watched every pitch. I had a few connections to Helton and was a big fan. He was nice to me as teenager when nobody was watching. I still wish him the best.

Thanks, y’all, for being a part of this incredible ride. Let’s enjoy the rest of it, starting with a win in Gane 1 tonight.

Go Big Orange!
Cool you are one of the few that deserves what’s happening now. I am not one of them.

I think Coply was just after 95 like 96 or 97 . He was a soddy kid. I could be wrong. It's only been decades.

I started watching college baseball that 94/95 year. Watched every pitch. I had a few connections to Helton and was a big fan. He was nice to me as teenager when nobody was watching. I still wish him the best.

Copley played in 95. He hit a hr in the CWS, I think it was against Stanford or Oklahoma. Don't remember who it was we played. Thinking it was Stanford.

I've seen Helton and talked to him recently. He's enjoying retirement.

It's weird to see a program like Dallas Baptist be in the mix. Anyway....I go way back to when Clarksville little league all stars made it nationally. If memory serves...they made it as far as a game against Florida's all stars and lost when the catcher Hartwig dropped the ball on a play at the plate. I recall someone telling me some of those guys made the Vols roster.

VN Store

Back