I think we take the 2008 Vandy Game approach

JMSqb11

You guys remember how run heavy we were with BJ Coleman? I think we passed the ball maybe 10 times. If our lineman want to say how good they are and how they want to be the best O-Line in the nation, I say we run the ball over 45 times vs Florida. Maybe boring, but hell, it keeps the clock rolling and if it works, no one will be whining and moaning.

I'll hang up and listen! :hi:

Reactions: 1 person
You guys remember how run heavy we were with BJ Coleman? I think we passed the ball maybe 10 times. If our lineman want to say how good they are and how they want to be the best O-Line in the nation, I say we run the ball over 45 times vs Florida. Maybe boring, but hell, it keeps the clock rolling and if it works, no one will be whining and moaning.

yea - I'll go with the whining and moaning - I could be wrong - but for some reason I am thinking that there is a little bit of difference between this Florida defense - half of whom will be playing in the NFL and Vanderbilt's defense when Coleman was quarterback. I don't think we could exclusively run it against Austin Peay and Western Kentucky, or Oregon this year - what makes you think we - or anybody else could just run the ball exclusively against defenses like Florida or Alabama?

Remember when General Neyland's teams held everyone else scoreless. Let's just try that and win 3 - 0.

Reactions: 1 person

I expected us to try that last week...the Gators have a much better run D so I'd be surprised to see us actually try to play power football...

Seems like we tried that last weekend

I think if the coaches choose to rely on our running game, our chances are shot. Our running backs are serviceable - but a bit predictable - they definitely won't get the main haul of plays. Florida's defense will know how to shut us down if that's the case. Receivers and and QB are one of the least experienced positions on the team. They're going to get plenty of play. jmo

We have a line built for protecting a pocket passer, A QB built for...well I'm not sure but I've seen him hand it off left, hand it off right, throw it in the dirt and throw it behind everyone...and we have RBs that favor speed over power as their running style....SO, I'm not sure what we will do for offensive production Saturday

they were locked into the run because both Crompton and Coleman had issues distinguishing jersey color that day. We have different issues now and lack a Foster, Hardesty or Creer in the backfield

No, as much of a proponent of run, run, run as I have been - its one of my favorite soapboxes - this is not the game for that.
I would have been happy if we didn't attempt a pass against Oregon. We had them outmanned at the LOS and were having some success running. Our main goal should have been to shorten the game by running clock and keeping the Ducks off of the field.

We DO NOT have Florida outmanned at the LOS. They are stifling against the run. Their offense is not scary, so it is not as imperative to keep them off the field like it was last week. Eating up clock should not be a concern either.

This week mandates a more balanced attack - we will need to take risks and open up to have a shot.

VN Store

Back