Illinois poised to End Cash Bail and possibly set alleged Criminals Free

Franklin Pierce

While the nation’s attention was focused on the transition of power in Washington, Illinois state lawmakers last week passed a massive criminal justice reform bill that would, among other things, end cash bail.

The bill came in response to the police killing of George Floyd and others last year, which sparked a wave of protests across the country calling for criminal justice reform.

Should it go into law, almost everyone in jail would be released while awaiting trial unless prosecutors could convince a judge that the defendant is a threat to public safety. In such cases, the accused would remain in jail without the opportunity for cash bail.

Illinois poised to end cash bail and possibly set alleged criminals free

Too lazy to look it up on my own, so I want to see if anyone knows off the top of their head.

Do the for profit prisons include jails? Or are they completely separate buildings/institutions.

And yes I know prison is long term, jail temporary.

Too lazy to look it up on my own, so I want to see if anyone knows off the top of their head.

Do the for profit prisons include jails? Or are they completely separate buildings/institutions.

And yes I know prison is long term, jail temporary.

Nashville's jail is a for profit.

Reactions: LouderVol

VN Store

Back