Incredible Article

can you paraphase the article , i'm having trouble getting past the 1st page.

Here's a good one from Finebaum:

"However, one thing Spurrier was struck by was the fascination -- if not obsession -- Alabama fans continue to have with Tennessee and Fulmer, whose role in the Alabama-NCAA case has been well documented and much reviled in these parts. What most fans seemed to forget is that Spurrier was among the first to go public with his concerns about Mike DuBose and the Alabama program, notably over allegations concerning Justin Smiley."

And was Spurrier actually standing up for us?

When another Alabama fan raised doubt about Tennessee's recruiting reputation, Spurrier came to the defense of his new best friend yet again.

"I think they've been basically pretty clean," Spurrier said of the Tennessee program. "Nobody has ever accused them of anything, have they? "I think they've been pretty clean unless they get accused and convicted of something. I assume everybody is innocent until proven guilty."
Doesn't Steve know that rational thought has no place in the state of Alabama?

thanks! LIO sent me the complete article, doesn't sound like the visor throwing , hissy fit throwing coach that I grew to despise, maybe the trounceing he took in the NFL has humbled him some!

Maybe he is saying these things hoping Phil will take it easy on him this fall when he comes to Neyland.

I can't stand Spurrier but I respect the man.

I like that Fulmer likes the man and jabs back

Page 2 of 3

Clearly, the biggest threat for Florida in the SEC East right now resides on the western side of the Smoky Mountains, not the other side.

Spurrier, who was in Birmingham last week to play in a celebrity pro-am, couldn't resist pulling out the needle, even for a nanosecond.

"I know coach Fulmer would love to be here in Birmingham," said Spurrier, an avid golfer. "But he felt like his golf game probably isn't quite up to par. I know he's not too fond of coming to Alabama right now."

During his visit to Alabama, Spurrier was asked by many Tide fans in the huge crowds following him about his own future in Columbia. Interestingly, Spurrier will get a whopping taste of football from the state of Alabama this year. The first home SEC game for him will be against Alabama, followed the next week by Troy and then the following week at Auburn.

However, one thing Spurrier was struck by was the fascination -- if not obsession -- Alabama fans continue to have with Tennessee and Fulmer, whose role in the Alabama-NCAA case has been well documented and much reviled in these parts. What most fans seemed to forget is that Spurrier was among the first to go public with his concerns about Mike DuBose and the Alabama program, notably over allegations concerning Justin Smiley.

An Alabama fan asked the former Heisman Trophy winner for a favor. In the event the Gamecocks are ahead when they meet the Vols on Oct. 29 in Knoxville, could he possibly run it up the way he used to while coaching the Gators? Spurrier seemed shocked by the request.

"I thought Auburn was your big rival," Spurrier said. "I didn't know Tennessee had replaced Auburn as the team the Bama people dislike the most. Is that what's been happening? I've been gone from the SEC for awhile, but I didn't know that."

When someone mentioned that Tennessee had reeled off victories in nine of the last 10 games against the Tide, Spurrier nodded his head, as if he were beginning to understand the animus.

When another Alabama fan raised doubt about Tennessee's recruiting reputation, Spurrier came to the defense of his new best friend yet again.

"I think they've been basically pretty clean," Spurrier said of the Tennessee program. "Nobody has ever accused them of anything, have they?

page 3 of 3

"I think they've been pretty clean unless they get accused and convicted of something. I assume everybody is innocent until proven guilty."

Obviously, Spurrier and Tommy Gallion must not be on speaking terms.

Spurrier even refused to knock Fulmer's corpulent physique.

On his recent 60th birthday, Spurrier, in an effort to show South Carolina fans he is "a young 60," challenged a 50-year old sportswriter from The State (the Columbia newspaper) to participate with him during a workout regimen. Hold your breath now, but Spurrier started with 300 sit-ups and 300 push-ups. Then, he did 60 press-ups and 60 curls with a 15-pound weight, 60 triceps extensions with 40-pound weights and 60 pull-downs with a 60-pound weight. Spurrier also did 20 minutes on the treadmill, 20 on the StairMaster, and 20 on a stationary bike. Then, Spurrier rode a mountain bike 60 laps around the stadium (a total of 30 miles).

The sportswriter quit halfway into the workout.

Asked if Fulmer could even do the first leg of this workout, the 300 sit-ups, Spurrier said: "He told me he's been working out a little. His wife is a big workout lady, so is my wife. Phillip hasn't followed his wife's lead until recently."

And that was it. No fat jokes. No jokes about being first on line Sunday morning when Krispy Kreme opens. Nothing.

Others may be excited about Spurrier's return to the SEC. But I liked the old Ol' Ball Coach better than the new and slightly sanitized one.

(Paul Finebaum's column appears Tuesdays and Saturdays in the Mobile Register. Contact him at finebaumnet@yahoo.com)

VN Store

Back