Is Oklahoma a must win?

Feels like this has playoff implications written all over it.

To do what? get into the playoff? Its early so a stumble could possibly be recoverable but I cant image we end up in final 12 with anything less than 10-2 record. Considering Georgia is a tough win and maybe Alabama too in spite of new schemes, etc. So that leaves us with little room to choke OK.

To do what? get into the playoff? Its early so a stumble could possibly be recoverable but I cant image we end up in final 12 with anything less than 10-2 record. Considering Georgia is a tough win and maybe Alabama too in spite of new schemes, etc. So that leaves us with little room to choke OK.
Yea, a 10-2 SEC team is most definitely in the 12 team playoff. It's not out of the question that a 9-3 SEC team is in.

After watching Jackson Arnold in their bowl game, that game should be a penciled in as a "win." Losing that game would certainly damage our playoff hopes and have to be offset with beating a Georgia or Bama.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Feels like this has playoff implications written all over it.

setting expectations to get to the playoffs is setting oneself up form disappointment. My expectations is to compete every time they hit the field and let the chips fall where they may.

2022 was a good chance with a QB having an elite type season to make some noise yet they fell short. That should communicate how difficult it is to reach the top. The top now is qualifying for the playoffs. Its going to be hard..

Too many fans are expecting too many SEC teams to reach playoffs. It might happen, but I have my doubts. SEC seasons are going to chop up SEC teams from reaching that goal. The league is unbelievably hard now.

JMO

It's interesting reading the landscape of teams and conferences.
Seems most fans feel it's going to be easier to get in the playoffs now that it''s 12 teams.
😏

I love the sentiment some express that every game is a must win, and going 15-0 requires wins every week. Those are some good Vols fans, there. :)

At the same time, yes, I think Oklahoma is a key to a very successful season. If we win that game, I see 11-1. If we lose it, could be an 8-4 or 9-3 season. The mental competitiveness and confidence of our team hinges on that win, more than even the Florida game, because we can always mentally bounce back from Florida ("it's the curse!").

The Oklahoma game really tells us something this year.

Go Vols!

Yes, Oklahoma is a must win and should be a win. They will struggle to win 7 next season and if we are one of their 7Ws it's going to be another mediocre season.

Reactions: HighRockvol
On a serious note, it's a must win because you don't want to have to rely on beating Bama and/or UGAly to get to 10-2 and make the playoffs.

If UT loses to all 3 I don't see them making the playoffs, which should be the goal in year 4.

Is Oklahoma a must win?​

source.gif

In my mind the losable games on the schedule are Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Oklahoma and NC State. We'll be certain favorites in two of those and maybe slight dogs in two. I think winning 3/5 of those puts us squarely in the conversation (unless we just get shelled in the two we lose).

No game is really a must win game in the offseason. However, if you lose to any of Oklahoma, Arkansas or Kentucky, then it's going to be hard to run through Georgia, Florida and Bama to have what most would consider a successful season. NC State game is the one I have circled we need to get through because I don't think that's going to be an easy game, either.

Reactions: wmcovol

VN Store

Back