Is the BCS going to be BS again this year

Smokey

What does everyone think about the BCS rankings out today. Big story being Miami at number 2 and Oklahoma at number 3

After the 1st BCS release it can now officially be called a JOKE! The removal of SOS was because the PAC-10 and the Little EAST could not compete, and inturn has made the BCS poll useless and immaterial.

Actually I want to see small conference "powerhouses" play good BCS teams. That way when they get the beat down, the announcers can look like morons.

I understand everyone is upset that Oklahoma is 2nd in both polls but 3rd in the BCS. One thing to remember though. If the desired outcome is to always have the No. 1 and 2 teams in the AP and UE polls play for the National title.... why have a BCS at all?? However, if the intent of adding computers is to eliminate human bias, then there should be no complaints. Last season, the result was based upon Southern Cal's weak schedule and loss to a 7-5 Cal team. Also remember, that the computers get more accurate as the season goes along... the more data entered, the more accurate the outcome. Of course no computer is going to be perfect.... but you can't tell me that Georgia (5-1) should be 6th and Tennessee (5-1) should be 13th.... and that one is in the 'human' polls. Tennessee lost to the current 4th ranked team and let's see... and oh, Georgia lost to Tennessee!

If you want to compare schedules to see where the poll voters must be either biased or crazy:

Tennessee has
lost to 3rd (AP) ranked Auburn (7-0)
beaten 6th (UE) ranked Georgia (5-1)
beaten 19th (UE) ranked Florida (4-2)
beaten 37th (BCS) La Tech (4-3)
beaten 56th (BCS) Ole Miss (3-4)
beaten 77th (BCS) UNLV (2-5)

Georgia has
lost to 9th (BCS) ranked Tennessee (5-1)
beaten 17th (UE) ranked LSU (4-2)
beaten 36th (BCS) South Carolina (5-2)
beaten 71st (BCS) Marshall (3-3)
beaten 95th (BCS) Vanderbilt (1-5)
beaten IAA Georgia Southern (6-1 overall.... 0-1 against IA teams)

Originally posted by allvol@Oct 19, 2004 9:14 AM
if the intent of adding computers is to eliminate human bias, then there should be no complaints.

Exactly! As long as the criteria is laid out in advance, what can you possibly complain about?

The BCS is imperfect. But if nothing else, it does guarantee that the #1 and #2 teams will always play for the national title; not because of the formula, but because the BCS forced the major bowls to drop their conference tie-ins.

this weeks BCS standings are just more proof that we need some sort of playoff system. just assume USC, Auburn, Oklahoma, and Miami end up without a loss. You can bet Auburn and Miami will be left out because USC and Oklahoma are the media's favorites. Teams like Tennessee get the shaft simply for playing in a good confrence.

I know this is how the Oregon State Athletics Association does things... There is a championship bracket with sixteen teams, and more of the top teams are taken from stronger divisions (divisions like the one I play in, the better ones, send the top 3 or 4 teams each year, on a rotating schedule), while weaker ones get at least a team, or maybe two.

I think the BCS could be well-off for doing the same. Like, take the top three teams from the SEC, Big Ten, Big 12, the top two from ACC, Pac-10, and the top teams from Big East, C-USA, Independent, Mid-American, Mountain West, Sun Belt and WAC.

Yeah, that's more than 16... You get my point, though. They could also keep track of which conferences get more seeds than others by keeping record of interconference play.

VN Store

Back