Is the strategy this season to put everything on film?

mrmax86

Fight. Strain. Compete.
I had always thought the best strategy was to hold your best plays for tougher competition. But that log jam in my head has been broken up this season.

Are we putting everything on film (which is a LOT) and basically challenging teams to attempt to prepare for all of it?

If so, I actually love it.

I think Hype feels like it doesn’t matter. No one is stopping his offense, if the team executes. There is nothing really to prepare for other than maybe run gassers to get ready for the pace of the game. Once you figure out that we are going to spread you out all over the field, you pretty much have it figured out. That doesn’t mean you’re going to stop it.

I specifically remember us going vanilla against weaker competition previously under Heupel. Just a testament to the power of this team.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
This offense continues to evolve. With CJH finally having the depth at TE that he has been wanting and the quality at QB he has expanded the playbook. Jordan Rodgers really focused on Nico's footwork last night. He pointed out how fundamentally sound he is. You can't help but be excited for the rest of the season. With the elite defense it is going to be a blast.

Who says we have run our ENTIRE playbook?
We should be good.
Unless someone on our schedule hires Connor Stalions as a consultant.
With an elite C, QB, RB, and a talented/heady TE and WR corp, Heupel can run pretty much whatever he wants at this point. Bully ball with twelve personnel, bombs galore, RPOs, legit read options and options, inside zone game has been filthy, etc.

With an elite C, QB, RB, and a talented/heady TE and WR corp, Heupel can run pretty much whatever he wants at this point. Bully ball with twelve personnel, bombs galore, RPOs, legit read options and options, inside zone game has been filthy, etc.
I agree.
When you are elite at what you do, throw it all out there for the world to see and let opponents spend practice time on all the possibilities.
Plus, the mental side of them realizing, oh shat, this is going to be tough…….

I agree.
When you are elite at what you do, throw it all out there for the world to see and let opponents spend practice time on all the possibilities.
Plus, the mental side of them realizing, oh shat, this is going to be tough…….
Absolutely! And Heupel is a master of showing a look a couple of weeks in a row, just to bait a good opponent with a counter off of the same look in the future

Personally I think he has just shown tidbits in an attempt to see what works well with this group in a game situation. Take what they do well and what they don't and go from there with the play book.

Reactions: ZoeVol
I had always thought the best strategy was to hold your best plays for tougher competition. But that log jam in my head has been broken up this season.

Are we putting everything on film (which is a LOT) and basically challenging teams to attempt to prepare for all of it?

I was thinking about that. I don't think they are necessarily putting everything on film, but enough to see that we are going to be so diverse and adaptable that you can't prepare for us. You better focus on your own weaknesses and not worry about trying to exploit ours...hence the onside kick.

I was thinking about that. I don't think they are necessarily putting everything on film, but enough to see that we are going to be so diverse and adaptable that you can't prepare for us. You better focus on your own weaknesses and not worry about trying to exploit ours...hence the onside kick.
The onside kick was what made me think to make this thread.

I agree with this. I told my son last night, the crazy part about the offense is that we have not really started used our main WRs yet. I think what’s on tape shows you have to defend against the run and TEs. Which will open up our WRs more. There is some tape out there for teams to look at but I think we have a lot more in the tank.

With weapons all over the field (and quite a few waiting on the sidelines), how do you stop this offense?

People keep saying "he'll bring all sorts of new things against OU" and I agree but I think it's because he respects Venables as a really good coach and he needs to, not because it's OU.

Reactions: Ernie McCracken
With weapons all over the field (and quite a few waiting on the sidelines), how do you stop this offense?
I think the only way is with a suffocating overload of talent--speed, strength, agility, in all 11 spots, every play, all game long.

Think the 2021 and 2022 Georgia defenses. They could probably put a big dent in our running game by manhandling even our talented OLine, while covering our receivers in man. AND put a spy on Nico to limit his ability to convert with his feet.

Those two years, Georgia had (basically) an NFL defense playing against college teams.

I don't think anyone short of that talent level can stop us, though. And I don't think any team has that defensive talent level this year. Georgia certainly doesn't. Bama doesn't. Dunno about Texas or Ohio State yet.

So there will be holes in the defenses of even the best teams we play this year. And Heupel will find them and direct Nico & Co in exploiting them.

We're gonna score more than 30 points in every single game this year. And maybe more than 40.

And with a defense that can hopefully hold ANYbody to around 20-28, that's gonna turn into a lot of Ws.

Go Vols!

I think the only way is with a suffocating overload of talent--speed, strength, agility, in all 11 spots, every play, all game long.

Think the 2021 and 2022 Georgia defenses. They could probably put a big dent in our running game by manhandling even our talented OLine, while covering our receivers in man. AND put a spy on Nico to limit his ability to convert with his feet.

Those two years, Georgia had (basically) an NFL defense playing against college teams.

I don't think anyone short of that talent level can stoop us, though. And I don't think any team has that defensive talent level this year. Georgia certainly doesn't. Bama doesn't. Dunno about Texas or Ohio State yet.

So there will be holes in the defenses of even the best teams we play this year. And Heupel will find them and direct Nico & Co in exploiting them.

We're gonna score more than 30 points in every single game this year. And maybe more than 40.

And with a defense that can hopefully hold ANYbody to less than 20, that's gonna turn into a lot of Ws.

Go Vols!
At times it feels like the only ones that can slow down our offense is us.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Absolutely! And Heupel is a master of showing a look a couple of weeks in a row, just to bait a good opponent with a counter off of the same look in the future
I believe the reason Heupel does it is this…
Personally I think he has just shown tidbits in an attempt to see what works well with this group in a game situation. Take what they do well and what they don't and go from there with the play book.
Plus this!

Reactions: VolunteerVandiver

It's not like the TN playbook is 8 plays deep + I'm sure they review film of opponents and see "this safety likes to bite when the QB looks outside" or "that D lineman isn't strong, we can push him if we need to" or "watch how they fake the blitz on 2nd and long vs when they come. See how this guy creeps up"

There's plays and then there's tweaks to each team. That's where the players and coaches study each opponent for hints and tells.

Just because we ran the out routes on NC State because they shaded the middle doesn't mean we'll run out routes on everyone.

I can promise you this…in this offense, there is a ton of plays designed for the TE that CJH hasn’t used yet while at TN. I think you will see some against Bama and UGA and possibly Oklahoma.

We have just never had the talent at TE as we do now.

Reactions: Kev70
I am amused that we have used so many looks this year. We used almost entirely different formations last night than from our previous game. Plus we used different base blocking schemes (though it seems we always have the trap at the ready).

VN Store

Back