Is the team leaving on Friday for the game?

Volgrad98

Give my all for the VOLS
I was listening to the Ainge show and I thought I heard one of them say that the team leaves for Oregon Friday. Is this correct?

I would think they would leave Thursday to be there all day friday to get ready. Also to get a walk through practice in Friday am and possibly again Fri eve.

I would think they would leave Thursday to be there all day friday to get ready. Also to get a walk through practice in Friday am and possibly again Fri eve.

Yea, that's the usual protocol. But I could have sworn one of them said Friday. Maybe in my pre coffee state, I missed something.

You do have the time change in your favor when you're headed west. Hope they leave early, tho.

in another thread it said the plane was leaving around 5pm on Friday. Shouldn't affect them much if they stay on their regular schedule

Stay too long and the players start getting West coast time, I believe that CBJ wants them to stay on the EDT so they are ready for the early evening game...same as the WKU was.

Reactions: 3 people
I want them there today, and I want the game to start at 8 pm. I am ready. Someone make some calls and make that happen.

Reactions: 2 people
Stay too long and the players start getting West coast time, I believe that CBJ wants them to stay on the EDT so they are ready for the early evening game...same as the WKU was.

Yes, if they leave Friday, their internal clocks will remain on EDT, and kickoff at 3:30 PM EDT will feel like a 12:30 PM kickoff.

Listened to The Nation with Chris Lowe on Sunday night. The team is leaving on Friday and doing a quick walk through when they arrive since no one on the team has been to the stadium before. Then they'll be leaving right after the game and expect to be back in Knoxville by 3am Sunday morning.

Also mentioned that they plan on just keeping their bodies on eastern time while there. So the 12:30 local kickoff will in fact feel like a 3:30 eastern kickoff for them.

Last edited:
Listened to The Nation with Chris Lowe on Sunday night. The team is leaving on Friday and doing a quick walk through when they arrive since no one on the team has been to the stadium before. Then they'll be leaving right after the game and expect to be back in Knoxville by 3am Sunday morning.

Also mentioned that they plan on just keeping their bodies on eastern time while there. So the 12:30 local kickoff will in fact feel like a 3:30 eastern kickoff for them.

Get them back quick to start prepping for the gators.

The reason the team is leaving Friday instead of the traditional Thursday (for west coast games) is because Butch wants to keep them on a normal road game schedule, which means leaving on Friday. In this case, the team will just leave Knoxville a few hours earlier to account for the longer flight.

The reason the team is leaving Friday instead of the traditional Thursday (for west coast games) is because Butch wants to keep them on a normal road game schedule, which means leaving on Friday. In this case, the team will just leave Knoxville a few hours earlier to account for the longer flight.

I'll buy that. Plus, that's one day that the team doesn't have to do anything stupid like break curfew.

These are young men that recover from jet lag in 30 minutes, not like us old guys that take 3 days. The time differential & leaving on Friday is much ado about nothing IMO.

Keeping them on eastern game day time makes sense. Also, a direct flight from knoxville to eugene is roughly 4 hours. The time zone change to get there gives you 3 back. So, if you leave at 1 pm on Friday, you will arrive in Oregon at 2 pm local time, with plenty of time to do the practice/walkthrough, dinner, then lights out.

They would have to get a waiver from the NCAA to go on Thursday since school is in session and an additional day would be missed.

With the trip to Florida looming, Butch is keeping them on eastern time during the whole trip, and they'll get back no later than they would after a night conference game.

They would have to get a waiver from the NCAA to go on Thursday since school is in session and an additional day would be missed.

With the trip to Florida looming, Butch is keeping them on eastern time during the whole trip, and they'll get back no later than they would after a night conference game.

Exactly.

This game is at 3:30 local time. Will be over at 7-7:30...on the plane at 9:30.

You fly faster West to East. They'll be back to the airport by 1:30 AM tops.

Last year's Miss St. game kicked off at 9:15 ET and didn't end until after 12:30AM ET...They probably didn'y get home until 4:00AM.

This isn't that big of a deal to the team. As fans without access to private jets it's a much bigger effort and time use.

VN Store

Back