It could be worse. We could have lost to Vandy.

Exactly… Alabama beat Georgia the week before. You have to come ready to play. These upsets have always happened but they’ve become more commonplace.

There’s probably zero players on Vandy’s team who would start for Bama. Bama didn’t forget how to play from one week to the next. The same with Tennessee.

While the offense has been concerning recently, I fully expect them to play much better this Saturday. It’s just sad these team‘s [not just TN] mental states are so fragile now, no matter how much the coaches pound into them not to overlook anyone.

No one on here would pick Vandy to beat Alabama in a rematch next week if it were to occur….even if it was played at Vandy again.

Reactions: SonOfGodVolforlife
It could really be worse. You could be a Steelers fan stuck with mediocre Mike as your coach where 9-8, 8-8-1, 10-7 are the ceiling and some consider it successful. But I digress.

Reactions: volmanjr
Exactly… Alabama beat Georgia the week before. You have to come ready to play. These upsets have always happened but they’ve become more commonplace.

There’s probably zero players on Vandy’s team who would start for Bama. Bama didn’t forget how to play from one week to the next. The same with Tennessee.

While the offense has been concerning recently, I fully expect them to play much better this Saturday. It’s just sad these team‘s [not just TN] mental states are so fragile now, no matter how much the coaches pound into them not to overlook anyone.

No one on here would pick Vandy to beat Alabama in a rematch next week if it were to occur….even if it was played at Vandy again.
I don’t understand the overreaction at all. We played a team that could be 5-0 to the wire with Josh Huepels lowest offensive totals. It’s the nature of the beast that is the SEC. Don’t think bc a team in the sec is 3-2 is garbage bc any given Saturday a team in the sec can win.

Reactions: VolNExile
After the Bama/UGA game, I heard a bunch of different variants of "I hate to break it to the rest of the country, but there is basically no drop off from Saban to DeBoer." And not really from Bama fans, mostly talking heads. I found that to be an interesting take given that they just blew a 28 point lead and needed a score on their last drive to come back and win. Then to lose to Vandy the very next week...lol

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
After the Bama/UGA game, I heard a bunch of different variants of "I hate to break it to the rest of the country, but there is basically no drop off from Saban to DeBoer." And not really from Bama fans, mostly talking heads. I found that to be an interesting take given that they just blew a 28 point lead and needed a score on their last drive to come back and win. Then to lose to Vandy the very next week...lol
That honeymoon ended quickly. The Saban alumni are torching DeBoer. Not only about the loss to Vanderbilt, but the Malichia Moore tantrum at the end. Not sure if everyone knows what that is about. In a nutshell, he embarrassed himself. The coach sent in another player to substitute for him and, as a captain, told the player to go back to the bench. You can see the defensive coach standing there with a wtf look on his face. That led to throwing his mouthpiece and kicking the football after the ref spotted it.

All that seems trivial, but when the inmates are guarding the asylum, it's bad. Insubordination to a coaching staff shows some real chinks in the armor. I guess 'ol Malichia misses Saban and hasn't accepted the new sheriff in town, and maybe feels like he doesn't have to obey him.

Someone even commented that they thought DeBoers shirt he was wearing on the sideline looked like it came from WalMart.

The wheels might come off the Bama bus pretty fast.

Check out Harris's evaluation of the situation. (He flashes his championship rings). He's obviously pizzed, and I think former players feel the same way. This is not new - the last time Bama went into to wilderness, the old "Bear" guys backseat drove the program. Saban was the first to have the balls to tell those guys to stuff it (including Paul Bear Bryant jr) and he was going to run it his way.

The old joke, How many Bama fans does it take to change a light bulb could be back. The answer is one. The other hundred thousand stand around and tell you how great the old light bulb was.

That honeymoon ended quickly. The Saban alumni are torching DeBoer. Not only about the loss to Vanderbilt, but the Malichia Moore tantrum at the end. Not sure if everyone knows what that is about. In a nutshell, he embarrassed himself. The coach sent in another player to substitute for him and, as a captain, told the player to go back to the bench. You can see the defensive coach standing there with a wtf look on his face. That led to throwing his mouthpiece and kicking the football after the ref spotted it.

All that seems trivial, but when the inmates are guarding the asylum, it's bad. Insubordination to a coaching staff shows some real chinks in the armor. I guess 'ol Malichia misses Saban and hasn't accepted the new sheriff in town, and maybe feels like he doesn't have to obey him.

Someone even commented that they thought DeBoers shirt he was wearing on the sideline looked like it came from WalMart.

The wheels might come off the Bama bus pretty fast.

Check out Harris's evaluation of the situation. (He flashes his championship rings). He's obviously pizzed, and I think former players feel the same way. This is not new - the last time Bama went into to wilderness, the old "Bear" guys backseat drove the program. Saban was the first to have the balls to tell those guys to stuff it (including Paul Bear Bryant jr) and he was going to run it his way.

The old joke, How many Bama fans does it take to change a light bulb could be back. The answer is one. The other hundred thousand stand around and tell you how great the old light bulb was.

IMO, there's a bit of a chicken or the egg thing with the Malachi Moore meltdown. Many folks (like Damien Harris) think it shows that DeBoer isn't really in control, guys don't respect him, the culture has degraded, etc.

While that might be possible, I think it should also be noted that Saban never lost to Vandy, or never lost a game like the one Alabama just did. The Louisiana-Monroe game in his first season isn't a proper comp because he inherited a team that went 6-7 the year before while DeBoer inherited a CFP team. Saban also never blew a 4 TD lead and had to score on their final drive to come back and win.

Did Alabama lose that game because guys don't accept the new sheriff in town, or did they lose the game and so that's why they don't accept the new sheriff in town? If Saban blew leads and lost games like this, how much would his players have still been behind him? Maybe I'm too cynical, but a lot of "having a good culture" in an activity like sports is simply winning a lot.

Reactions: ptcarter
IMO, there's a bit of a chicken or the egg thing with the Malachi Moore meltdown. Many folks (like Damien Harris) think it shows that DeBoer isn't really in control, guys don't respect him, the culture has degraded, etc.

While that might be possible, I think it should also be noted that Saban never lost to Vandy, or never lost a game like the one Alabama just did. The Louisiana-Monroe game in his first season isn't a proper comp because he inherited a team that went 6-7 the year before while DeBoer inherited a CFP team. Saban also never blew a 4 TD lead and had to score on their final drive to come back and win.

Did Alabama lose that game because guys don't accept the new sheriff in town, or did they lose the game and so that's why they don't accept the new sheriff in town? If Saban blew leads and lost games like this, how much would his players have still been behind him? Maybe I'm too cynical, but a lot of "having a good culture" in an activity like sports is simply winning a lot.
You are right about the winning curing all, and the chicken and egg thing too. Alabama was out of timeouts when Moore refused to come out. OK, I'll admit I'm taking a little pleasure in the meltdown and I can't remember which youtube I watched, but it had a coach on it that said, even if they were out of timeouts - game was over and (you'll hear this a lot) IF SABAN WAS COACH.. he'd have taken the penalty, come out on the field and dragged him back to the sidelines by his facemask. Being a 5th year senior, and a captain doesn't shouldn't give a player the right to overrule a coaching decision. I heard Mark Richt has lost control of his Georgia program. This might be the same thing.

You are right about the winning curing all, and the chicken and egg thing too. Alabama was out of timeouts when Moore refused to come out. OK, I'll admit I'm taking a little pleasure in the meltdown and I can't remember which youtube I watched, but it had a coach on it that said, even if they were out of timeouts - game was over and (you'll hear this a lot) IF SABAN WAS COACH.. he'd have taken the penalty, come out on the field and dragged him back to the sidelines by his facemask. Being a 5th year senior, and a captain doesn't shouldn't give a player the right to overrule a coaching decision. I heard Mark Richt has lost control of his Georgia program. This might be the same thing.
If Saban was the coach, they would have never lost that game to begin with.

IMO, that's why meltdowns and insubordination like that didn't really happen when he was there. They basically always won, and when they did lose it was basically always to another really good team (again, not counting his first year). They never lost as 3+ TD favorites or blew 4 TD leads. From 2008 until he retired, they didn't have a single loss that could be described as embarrassing. If they did, then Saban probably would have had guys melting down too.

If Saban was the coach, they would have never lost that game to begin with.

IMO, that's why meltdowns and insubordination like that didn't really happen when he was there. They basically always won, and when they did lose it was basically always to another really good team (again, not counting his first year). They never lost as 3+ TD favorites or blew 4 TD leads. From 2008 until he retired, they didn't have a single loss that could be described as embarrassing. If they did, then Saban probably would have had guys melting down too.
OK I found it. The link starts at the time when Coach Bull Jones comments. He makes some good points about Coaching an MM's behavior.

Bama’s loss to Vandy, along with the inherent Schadenfreude because it’s Bama, is the reason I’m not ready to just punt on the season automatically. I joked to a gump buddy of mine after we lost to Arky, “I can’t even rant that we’ll lose to Bama by 40, ‘cause y’all had an even worse loss than we did!”

The reality is that it was a really weird weekend, and this is shaping up to be a weird year. There are huge question marks for UT, Alabama, Georgia (by virtue of the Alabama loss), and Miami. Did Ole Miss just have a bad week against UK? Are we and Bama really a class above them? Then you have Texas and OSU who may be great but are untested and could fall as flat as we did at some point. Finally, there’s A&M, which looks like it might have a chance to overachieve and maybe do as well as 10-2 with some luck, plus Arky which could easily be 5-1 or 6-0 right now and in a spot to contend for a SECCG berth.

Maybe it’s just this season, but some combination of the transfer portal, NIL, and the particular players and coaches doing their thing right now has led to what looks like a great deal of parity, at least in the SEC. It’s resembling basketball right now.

VN Store

Back