It's early, but how is our current #1 class shaping up...

pualsline

poakley@safeoak.com
So my original post was blown up and shown how wrong I was. The point is that we have a great class so far for 2014. They are constantly upgrading. So discuss the top ranked class here, or merge with another thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 people
So you're saying that 3078 points has yielded those final overall recruiting rankings since 2002? Is that what those numbers mean?

I believe there is a cutoff on the number of recruits that can count towards that total points in some or most services. After the number has been reached, they will take the highest rated players and average that.

Last edited:
Imagine what he'll be able to pull in in the future if he can coach this 2013 squad to 8 or 9 wins.

Sky's the limit. What a hire.

I believe there is a cutoff on the number of recruits that can count towards that total points in some or most services. After the number has been reached, they will take the highest rated players and average that.

There is. Rivals only counts the top 20 or 21 recruits. It's been ooutlined here on Volnation a few times.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Imagine what he'll be able to pull in in the future if he can coach this 2013 squad to 8 or 9 wins.

Sky's the limit. What a hire.

We had 3 playmakers last year and we lost all three. QB and top two WRs. I really hope we would win that many games. But our first three road games are at Oregon, Florida, and Alabama. No other team in America plays that kind of teams. At least we do have a coach now. We will be back soon. I just wish Butch Jones could of been hired here when Kiffin left.

Reactions: 2 people
While this sounds great if you apply the 20 recruit rule then the picture looks very different

Let's sign 40!

too-much-want.jpg

currently we have 14 commits with 1390 rivals points.

so we are averaging 99.29 points per player.

We can sign a total of 31 recruits including EE. If we can continue this trend of points we will earn 3078.

3078 points would earn you this recruiting ranking for each prospective year.

2013- 2nd (Alabama 1st with 3166)
2012- 1st
2011- 1st
2010- 1st
2009- 1st
2008- 1st
2007- 1st
2006- 1st
2005- 1st
2004- 1st
2003- 1st
2002- 1st

yes, this does include a few extra recruits by has potential to be an absolutely amazing class for us. Butch gets it, and is doing it right.

Rivals counts only the highest rated 20 prospects, whereas 247 uses a Gaussian distribution formula (often called the bell curve) to prevent larger classes from attaining significantly more points than the smaller classes. So, as I'm sure others have pointed this out already, but this isn't how the points are accumulated in the team rankings.

If we continue on with the momentum we have now, we should sign around 5 other Rivals250 players and hopefully at least 7 more 4 stars. With those stats we would be looking at a definite top 5 class.

Edit: I take that back after looking at the previous top 5 classes over the years. Currently we have 5 4 stars. In order to be a 'definite' lock for a top 5, we would probably need at minimum 10 more and one or two five stars.

Double edit: In other words your math is entirely wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Thanks, that gives us a quantifiable target. If 3078 points will give you the mythical recruiting national championship, that translates to an average of 153.9 points for the 20 highest ranked signees. That may be doable, but we probably need to land a few 5-star recruits and as many top-250 prospects as possible. For a complete breakdown on Rivals’ ranking methodology and the tiered-bonus point system assigned to top-250 prospects, see Rivals.com Football Recruiting - Rivals.com Football Team Recruiting Rankings Formula.

Honestly, if we don't finish in the top 5 with this kind of start, I will be disappointment.

Recruiting rankings can be deceiving, especially early on. A top 10 finish is expected, however at the current rate we are going to have to expect a few of our current 3 stars to be bumped to 4s, Hurd will need his 5th, a couple 4 star JUCO players should be expected, and the addition a couple big fish ala Adoree Jackson, David Cornwell, & Josh Malone would boost our chances tremendously. Besides that Butch and co need to wrap up the guys currently in the 250 that we are in on, namely DJ Smith, Rashaan Gaulden, Cortez McDowell, & Petera Wilson.

Note: “JUCO and Prep School national rankings do not have bonuses. Only those prospects’ RR rating will be considered in the point calculation.” The significance of this statement is that, even if you should sign the nation’s no. 1-ranked JUCO prospect, his point total will be based exclusively on his Rivals Ranking, which ranges from 5.2-6.1. For example, a player ranked as 6.0 would automatically receive 135 points. If he was, hypothetically, the top-ranked prospect overall, he would receive an additional 100 bonus points. Bonuses decline progressively down to nos. 246-250, who receive 3 bonus points. Within Rivals’ methodology, JUCO players simply are not eligible for bonus points.

Recruiting rankings can be deceiving, especially early on. A top 10 finish is expected, however at the current rate we are going to have to expect a few of our current 3 stars to be bumped to 4s, Hurd will need his 5th, a couple 4 star JUCO players should be expected, and the addition a couple big fish ala Adoree Jackson, David Cornwell, & Josh Malone would boost our chances tremendously. Besides that Butch and co need to wrap up the guys currently in the 250 that we are in on, namely DJ Smith, Rashaan Gaulden, Cortez McDowell, & Petera Wilson.

Is that including the other team's players that will get bumped too?

Incidentally, if you are curious, Jalen Hurd and Todd Kelly currently have 6.0 rankings. As, currently, the 19th-ranked prospect nationally, Hurd would receive an additional 61 points, for a total of 196 points. Kelly is 61st, so that gives him an additional 40 points, for a total of 175 points.

We presently have no commitments with a 5.9 ranking, but Daniel Helm, D’Andre Payne and Vic Wharton all have a 5.8 ranking, so they receive a base of 105 points. Helm and Payne are ranked 175th and 206th nationally, respectively, so they receive bonuses of 18 and 11 points, respectively, which raise their final totals to 123 and 116 points. All of this is, of course, subject to significant change as updates are made to both individual and top 250 rankings, but it gives you some idea of precisely where these numerical values come from.

P.S. 5-star athlete = ranking of 6.1.
4-star athlete = ranking from 5.8-6.0
3-star athlete = ranking from 5.5-5.7
2-star athlete = ranking, presumably, 5.2-5.4.

Note: “Unlike the old formula, the new formula uses a prospect's Rivals Rating (RR), not the prospect's star rating, as the key factor in the formula to compute the point totals

If we continue our current trend, we would land in the top 10 most likely but not top 5. Either way, I'll take a top 10 class and run like I stole it.

VN Store

Back