Jackson Mississippi Water Crisis

Jackson, Mississippi, preparing to go without water periodically for up to 10 years as crisis continues

This and other similar incidents just demonstrate the internal decay of our country. This is what I would expect out of a 3rd world country, not the USA. Crazy stuff.
That’s because you CANNOT get things done with all the bureaucracy. I have a road getting ready to wash out that I’ve been reporting decline on for two years.

In China, they don’t need permits or impact studies/ . They just do it. The countries declining because policies strangle the ability to get the simplest things done.

Jackson, Mississippi, preparing to go without water periodically for up to 10 years as crisis continues

This and other similar incidents just demonstrate the internal decay of our country. This is what I would expect out of a 3rd world country, not the USA. Crazy stuff.
We know some people who moved to the Jackson area about five years ago and the water was enough of a problem then that it was among the reasons for them to avoid the city. The city has been mismanaged for so long that many people who can afford to leave have left. They think the businesses that remain will start leaving/closing soon. The city may not be much more than the Capitol and some hospitals if it goes on another decade. .

It’s the inherent inefficiency of government. Tax dollars get laundered through the bureaucracy and distributed to pet projects like diversity programs, green initiatives and transit schemes that nobody wants to use.
They haven't figured out how to make money off fixing the problem or they know it won't go to fix the problem.

Supporting a corrupt Ukraine is more important .

Reactions: dovervolz
We know some people who moved to the Jackson area about five years ago and the water was enough of a problem then that it was among the reasons for them to avoid the city. The city has been mismanaged for so long that many people who can afford to leave have left. They think the businesses that remain will start leaving/closing soon. The city may not be much more than the Capitol and some hospitals if it goes on another decade. .

It’s pretty much just that now. I’m there quite a bit and I hate having to be downtown. It’s not a safe place. Just north of Jackson is Madison which, if you have the means, you live there. There’s no reason to go into Jackson itself and few redeeming qualities.

Reactions: AM64
It’s the inherent inefficiency of government. Tax dollars get laundered through the bureaucracy and distributed to pet projects like diversity programs, green initiatives and transit schemes that nobody wants to use.

It's not even that complex locally. The local utility company is a political patronage job that pays 90-100K for "cashiers" who barely work.....

Well over half of MLGW's employees have nothing to do with electricity. They are bureaucratic jobs.. The money is going to overpay cashiers while trees don't get trimmed or water mains don't get repaired because there's not enough money to hire those trained professionals....

Do MLGW and MPD

Not apples to apples (MLGW includes both water and electricity) and serves entire county. Still more officers in Memphis than MLGW employees...

Jackson Water is still very manual with payments, meter reading, etc.

Not apples to apples (MLGW includes both water and electricity) and serves entire county. Still more officers in Memphis than MLGW employees...

Jackson Water is still very manual with payments, meter reading, etc.
Fair enough.

Feels like MLGW outnumbers MPD at least 17:1 lol

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
I haven’t seen anybody suggest that the Jackson water problem is anything other than mismanagement and the city’s inability to now raise enough revenue to fix the problem that it neglected for 10-20 years.

I haven’t seen anybody suggest that the Jackson water problem is anything other than mismanagement and the city’s inability to now raise enough revenue to fix the problem that it neglected for 10-20 years.

True, but many on the left have blamed the state govt.

Jackson's long-term issue has been gross, local mismanagement. The people and businesses rapidly leaving the city (creating the revenue void) is just a symptom of that. Jackson continues to double down by adding more bureaucratic waste (to a much smaller customer base) which just continues the cycle...

True, but many on the left have blamed the state govt.

Jackson's long-term issue has been gross mismanagement. The people and businesses rapidly leaving the city (creating the revenue void) is just a symptom of that. Jackson continues to double down by adding more bureaucratic waste (to a much smaller customer base) which just continues the cycle...
There is some fault with the state government but it’s a minority share. The state received a bunch of money to help fix the problem at the end of the Obama Administration and sat on it.

If it weren’t for the Brett Favre thing, they might get a complete pass on that, because the reason they sat on it is because they didn’t want the city grifting it out to their people but given how the State government operates is say they just wanted it grifted to their people, so I don’t mind them getting some flak for the situation too.

But the Jackson city government went to war with their trash collection vendor and let literal garbage pile up on the streets. Their incompetence is multi-generational and deserves almost all of the blame for ignoring this.

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
There is some fault with the state government but it’s a minority share. The state received a bunch of money to help fix the problem at the end of the Obama Administration and sat on it.

If it weren’t for the Brett Favre thing, they might get a complete pass on that, because the reason they sat on it is because they didn’t want the city grifting it out to their people but given how the State government operates is say they just wanted it grifted to their people.

Fair points with Favre...

VN Store

Back