Josh Heupel Monday press conference

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member

NOTES:

>Everybody is disappointed by the outcome. I showed our guys the middle part of the game and things we need to do to make that a ballgame in the fourth quarter.

>I love going to battle with these guys every single week and I'm looking forward to the next opportunity on Saturday.

>On Aaron Beasley (ankle injury) we'll see his availability this week.

>On Hendon Hooker coming back, we'll have those conversations after the season.

>Jeremy Banks' consistency, toughness, and continued growth has been a big part of what we've done defensively.

>Cedric Tillman has been extremely focused on continuing to change his body. He's spent as much or more time understanding what we're doing. He's gained a ton of confidence. His work habits have continued to grow. Guys that put the most into it get the most out of it.

>On going to a bowl, it shows progress and we get another few weeks of practices with the guys.

>Ramel Keyton did a nice job last week. There are some things he'll learn and get better from, like press coverage. We'll see about JaVonta Payton's eligibility this week.

>On having to play the best programs in the country on the schedule, we're in a race to get there as fast as we possibly can, and we will.

>Byron Young played with relentless energy. Just great energy from him all night long.

>Joe Milton has continued to grow and needs to continue to push and compete. It was good to see him have some success. He did some really positive things on Saturday.

/the end

Last edited:
I didn’t hear the question, but I hope they just don’t assume they’re going to a bowl. It is likely, but everybody also assumed they would beat a certain team a few years ago and it didn’t happen. I’m more concerned about South Alabama than Vandy, who seems to have quit.

Reactions: Voltopia
Body language and reading between the lines…..
Coaches did their best against Ga but knew they were outmanned.. First time I’ve gotten that vibe all year. This is a team, and nobody is greater than the team.. He is very hesitant to praise any individual player’s talent above the team, as he constantly mentions it takes all 11 to make a play work or emphasizes a play wrks because of another player’s blocking. Constant development is the team’s goal…. Never heard a coach talk so much about what goes into player development. (I personally have been looking for a coach that could show fans development and improvement during the season). This team plays one game at a time.. He always mentions the next opponent is the only team they get to play this week. That is why I think they beat the teams they should and scare the others.

Regardless of recruiting ranking, I do believe this team will greatly improve over the next few seasons. There will become a time when top players will be needed to challenge for the East or SEC, but with the foundation CJH is building, it will not require all 5* guys to get it done. Exciting times ahead.

If we finish 7-5, and I think we will,
Hype deserves SEC coach of the year.
I know, it will be difficult to out vote Kirby.

I didn’t hear the question, but I hope they just don’t assume they’re going to a bowl. It is likely, but everybody also assumed they would beat a certain team a few years ago and it didn’t happen. I’m more concerned about South Alabama than Vandy, who seems to have quit.
Statistically the odds of us losing to both Vandy and South Alabama are like 1/2,500. If we beat either one we are bowling

It’s more impressive taking over a 3-7 team that lost 35 players to the transfer portal with the NCAA investigation still going on, and still going 7-5 in the regular season.

Kirby inherited a 10 win team with one of the most talented rosters in the SEC.

Not even close to the same thing.

Heupel deserves it more.

It should be either Hype or Sam Pittman imo, but probably gonna be Kirby, especially if they beat Bama.

l3vRlwbQrNfnUmGSk.gif

Reactions: ScornedPapaVol
One of the most impressive things about Heupel is the fact that he has not once that I have heard mentioned recruiting better players. He is devoted to his guys, and will not throw them under the bus. Contrast that with Slingblade McGump, who b&^%ed and moaned about his roster constantly that first season. His comment at Bama at halftime made me cringe at the time. Quick way to lose a team.

Heupel knows we need more and better players, but he is smart enough to know his players know that too, and there is no need to dismiss them with such a comment. Even Fulmer tended to throw guys under the bus in the later years.

He may or may not be 'the guy', but Heupel continues to impress me. He is, to his core, a coach. IF he can just recruit and build his roster, he will be a force to be reckoned with. But....that is a substantial IF.

One of the most impressive things about Heupel is the fact that he has not once that I have heard mentioned recruiting better players. He is devoted to his guys, and will not throw them under the bus. Contrast that with Slingblade McGump, who b&^%ed and moaned about his roster constantly that first season. His comment at Bama at halftime made me cringe at the time. Quick way to lose a team.

Heupel knows we need more and better players, but he is smart enough to know his players know that too, and there is no need to dismiss them with such a comment. Even Fulmer tended to throw guys under the bus in the later years.

He may or may not be 'the guy', but Heupel continues to impress me. He is, to his core, a coach. IF he can just recruit and build his roster, he will be a force to be reckoned with. But....that is a substantial IF.
This.

In related news, Sark threw his dudes under the bus today similar to Pruitt. Not a good idea when your seat is setting the curtains on fire first year.

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
This guy is the real deal. The way he answers questions tell you why the kids play hard for him. Other guy's lose their team, Pruitt, Botch, Sark, Mullen. You lose your team and it's a wrap.

Im a very big CJH fan and have been since spring practice. However, win the Pitt and Ole Miss along with the other 5 weve won..amd henis a shoo in to win it. Win one of them and maybe he shoudl be considered.

But if we had won less than 7, i for one would have been disappointed. So IMO 7 wins with this schedule is good...but not great.

I had my doubts about CJH in January.

I will however say, I have been pleasantly surprised by the Vols this season. This team is perhaps the most fun to watch group we have seen take the field in at least 20 years. We may not be a great team, but by God at the end of the game you are gonna know you have been in a fight.

For that, I will always be grateful to CJH and I truly hope that he is able to fully restore the program.

NOTES:

>Everybody is disappointed by the outcome. I showed our guys the middle part of the game and things we need to do to make that a ballgame in the fourth quarter

>I love going to battle with these guys every single week and I'm looking forward to the next opportunity on Saturday.

>On Aaron Beasley (ankle injury) we'll see his availability this week.

>On Hendon Hooker coming back, we'll have those conversations after the season.

>Jeremy Banks' consistency, toughness, and continued growth has been a big part of what we've done defensively.

>Cedric Tillman has been extremely focused on continuing to change his body. He's spent as much or more time understanding what we're doing. He's gained a ton of confidence. His work habits have continued to grow. Guys that put the most into it get the most out of it.

>On going to a bowl, it shows progress and we get another few weeks of practices with the guys.

>Ramel Keyton did a nice job last week. There are some things he'll learn and get better from, like press coverage. We'll see about JaVonta Payton's eligibility this week.

>On having to play the best programs in the country on the schedule, we're in a race to get there as fast as we possibly can, and we will.

>Byron Young played with relentless energy. Just great energy from him all night long.

>Joe Milton has continued to grow and needs to continue to push and compete. It was good to see him have some success. He did some really positive things on Saturday.

/the end

we're in a race to get there as fast as we possibly can, and we will.—— I love this comment. He’s not taking the easy way out and making it clear his standards are high.

This.

In related news, Sark threw his dudes under the bus today similar to Pruitt. Not a good idea when your seat is setting the curtains on fire first year.
In terms of high pressure jobs, Sark is out of the frying pan and into the skillet with a brief layover in Tuscaloosa. I am sure the money was almost irresistible, but he is really risking his health IMHO.

It’s more impressive taking over a 3-7 team that lost 35 players to the transfer portal with the NCAA investigation still going on, and still going 7-5 in the regular season.

Kirby inherited a 10 win team with one of the most talented rosters in the SEC.

Not even close to the same thing.

Heupel deserves it more.

Perhaps, but if UGa wins out in the regular season and wins the SEC CG, Kitby will win the award.

"Deserve's got nothin' to do with it." — William Munny.

Reactions: Beagle Bill

South Alabama is going to be without Bentley which was their best chance to beat us. I think we will be fine.

WTF Bentley transferred from South Carolina to South Alabama made 0 sense to me. It would be like moving to a job that pays less with a less prestigious company.

South Alabama is going to be without Bentley which was their best chance to beat us. I think we will be fine.WTF Bentley transferred from South Carolina to South Alabama made 0 sense to me. It would be like moving to a job that pays less with a less prestigious company.

Sometimes, it's not about money.

VN Store

Back