Josh Heupel Nominated for CFHoF

TAF

Oh Yeah...I mean it!

ALSO THESE VFL's Nominated...

1717521074852.png

In case you were wondering...

GPPN3h8WMAAvwHL

Last edited:
We all know Josh was a great player at Oklahoma. What many don't know is the road he took to greatness.

"When I was young and growing up, I knew the Lord, but I didn't love the Lord. And there is a fundamental difference between those two. God was not No. 1 in my life. Football was my god at that time - that's not something I'm proud of, but that's how it was. But God humbled me quickly."

There's a lot of inspirational content in the story I linked below.

The main point I will make is not only do we have a great coach, we have a great person at the helm.

Athlete shares personal message of evolving faith

Last edited:
We all know Josh was a great player at Oklahoma. What many don't know is the road he took to greatness.

"When I was young and growing up, I knew the Lord, but I didn't love the Lord. And there is a fundamental difference between those two. God was not No. 1 in my life. Football was my god at that time - that's not something I'm proud of, but that's how it was. But God humbled me quickly."

The main point I will make is not only do we have a great coach, we have a great person at the helm.

Very inspirational!!

Pay wall.

Evolving Faith is very real and it is refreshing when people are sincere when talking about it. You find new and deeper meaning in everything as you get older, closer to your mortality, and love and treasure your family more and more.

Nothing helped me understand the Lord more than being a father.

Reactions: Gandalf
Don't know how to do that. Instructions please?
Here you go. This is easier.

Athlete shares personal message of evolving faith​

Josh Heupel
Published April 7, 2001

To tell you a little bit about who I am: I come from Aberdeen, S.D., which is in the northeast corner of the state. It is 45 minutes from the North Dakota border and an hour from the Minnesota border.
My dad is the head coach for a Division II four-year college, Northern State, which is in Aberdeen. My mother is the principal at the public high school in town. She was my principal. It made for some uneasy nights at home.

As far as I can remember, I've enjoyed the game of football. I enjoyed being around my dad and his team. I knew at a young age that I wanted to play college football. I wanted to play at a great university. I was successful in high school. But not a lot of great opportunities came my way.

When I was young and growing up, I knew the Lord, but I didn't love the Lord. And there is a fundamental difference between those two. I went to church on Sunday mornings. I went to a Catholic school until eighth grade. But I hadn't given God authority over my life.

I left high school and had the chance to go to a Division I-AA university, Weber State in Ogden, Utah. It was my first time away from home. God was not No. 1 in my life. Football was my god at that time - that's not something I'm proud of, but that's how it was. But God humbled me quickly. I redshirted my first year. Then, battling for a starting spot in the spring, I tore the ACL in my knee. I battled back and got some playing time the next fall, and then my coach left. While I was at Weber State, I was living for Josh Heupel. I was not living for the Lord. I'd look at the mirror in the morning, and there wasn't a smile on the outside or on the inside. I wasn't happy with who I was and what I was as a person.

So I decided to transfer to Snow Junior College, thinking that was the change I needed in my life. I thought the new challenges and new opportunities would revive my life. I thought that would make me excited and happy.

That first spring I was at Snow, more and more weight was being placed upon my shoulders. Yet every morning, when I looked in the mirror, I was less happy with who and what I was as a person.
I still wasn't moving. I was stationary. I decided - because I knew the Lord at one time in my life and what He could do - I would give God all the authority in my life.

I decided I would love God. I decided that Josh Heupel's way wasn't going to be the way I went anymore. I was going to do what He wanted, when He wanted and how He wanted it done.

I just knew there was more to life - more peace and more joy about what was going to happen each day. When you wake up and it's not easy to get out of bed, or you're not excited about what could happen each day, you need to make a change.

I had tried everything my own way to try to make it easy to get out of bed. But none of that had worked. Nothing had filled that void I was seeking to fill. It was almost as a last resort that I completely turned myself over to God.

Here are a few of my favorite readings and what they mean to me:
"No weapon formed against you will prevail."
- Isaiah 54:17

This really became something that stuck in my head when I first got to the University of Oklahoma. Not because of the players or coaches, but I realized how many people were doubting me as a football player or as a person. There is a lot of skepticism at the Division I-A level, where the media and microscope are more intense. It's not like I paid attention directly to it - because I didn't. But, indirectly, I heard some things.

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."
- Philippians 4:13
We believe that as human beings, we have limitations. However, when you put your trust and belief in Christ, anything is possible. This is something you should feel each and every day. Again, as a football player, if I put all of my trust solely in myself, I would surely come up short. However, by putting my faith in God in all things, I've found everything will come to pass. That includes our faith. Our faith is something that is continuously evolving. It is a necessary constant in our lives, but one that is constantly expanding. People who have experienced faith have to keep it in their life; if they don't, they can feel the absence of it.
There are those who want to say they have faith, yet they are never satisfied with anything. They are always searching for something to fill that void created by the lack of faith. They might know what it is that they are searching for, or maybe they do not. That's why I believe one of my duties of my faith is to share it. And let me tell you, that gives me a great sense of joy and peace. In fact, speaking to others about faith might be more of a blessing to me than to the people I'm speaking to.

"Then Moses led Israel from the Red Sea, and they went into the Desert of Shur. For three days they traveled in the desert without finding water. When they came to Marah, they could not drink its water because it was bitter. (That is why the place is called Marah.) So the people grumbled against Moses saying, 'What are we to drink?'
"Then Moses cried out to the Lord, and the Lord showed him a piece of wood. He threw it into the water, and the water became sweet.
"There the Lord made a decree and a law for them, and there He tested them. He said, 'If you listen carefully to the voice of the Lord your God and do what is right in His eyes, if you pay attention to His commands and keep all His decrees, I will not bring on you any of the diseases I brought on the Egyptians, for I am the Lord, who heals you.'
"Then they came to Elim, where there were 12 springs and 70 palm trees, and they camped there, near the water."
- Exodus 15:22-27

This speaks to me about how our walk with Christ needs to be continuously evolving. Too often people settle for less than the whole. They settle for just a piece, instead of the whole thing. They are satisfied with the blessing they receive today and wake up with that same satisfaction tomorrow, instead of an excitement for what is ahead the coming day. You have to celebrate today, but be ready to search for tomorrow's blessing.

I can apply that to my own life. I was blessed at Weber State during my redshirt freshman year as the starting quarterback. After that year ended, I had to be looking for the next blessing. That took me to Snow College. Yes, it was a great year at Snow.

But had I given up the search and exploration there, I would have never gone on to Oklahoma and the blessings that awaited me there.

And that is why I am ready for the next challenge, wherever that might take me. The following fields overflowed: SECTION = Oklahoma NOW! RELIGION - ETHICS - VALUES
Archive ID: 845652

Here you go. This is easier.

Athlete shares personal message of evolving faith​

Josh Heupel
Published April 7, 2001

To tell you a little bit about who I am: I come from Aberdeen, S.D., which is in the northeast corner of the state. It is 45 minutes from the North Dakota border and an hour from the Minnesota border.
My dad is the head coach for a Division II four-year college, Northern State, which is in Aberdeen. My mother is the principal at the public high school in town. She was my principal. It made for some uneasy nights at home.

As far as I can remember, I've enjoyed the game of football. I enjoyed being around my dad and his team. I knew at a young age that I wanted to play college football. I wanted to play at a great university. I was successful in high school. But not a lot of great opportunities came my way.

When I was young and growing up, I knew the Lord, but I didn't love the Lord. And there is a fundamental difference between those two. I went to church on Sunday mornings. I went to a Catholic school until eighth grade. But I hadn't given God authority over my life.

I left high school and had the chance to go to a Division I-AA university, Weber State in Ogden, Utah. It was my first time away from home. God was not No. 1 in my life. Football was my god at that time - that's not something I'm proud of, but that's how it was. But God humbled me quickly. I redshirted my first year. Then, battling for a starting spot in the spring, I tore the ACL in my knee. I battled back and got some playing time the next fall, and then my coach left. While I was at Weber State, I was living for Josh Heupel. I was not living for the Lord. I'd look at the mirror in the morning, and there wasn't a smile on the outside or on the inside. I wasn't happy with who I was and what I was as a person.

So I decided to transfer to Snow Junior College, thinking that was the change I needed in my life. I thought the new challenges and new opportunities would revive my life. I thought that would make me excited and happy.

That first spring I was at Snow, more and more weight was being placed upon my shoulders. Yet every morning, when I looked in the mirror, I was less happy with who and what I was as a person.
I still wasn't moving. I was stationary. I decided - because I knew the Lord at one time in my life and what He could do - I would give God all the authority in my life.

I decided I would love God. I decided that Josh Heupel's way wasn't going to be the way I went anymore. I was going to do what He wanted, when He wanted and how He wanted it done.

I just knew there was more to life - more peace and more joy about what was going to happen each day. When you wake up and it's not easy to get out of bed, or you're not excited about what could happen each day, you need to make a change.

I had tried everything my own way to try to make it easy to get out of bed. But none of that had worked. Nothing had filled that void I was seeking to fill. It was almost as a last resort that I completely turned myself over to God.

Here are a few of my favorite readings and what they mean to me:
"No weapon formed against you will prevail."
- Isaiah 54:17

This really became something that stuck in my head when I first got to the University of Oklahoma. Not because of the players or coaches, but I realized how many people were doubting me as a football player or as a person. There is a lot of skepticism at the Division I-A level, where the media and microscope are more intense. It's not like I paid attention directly to it - because I didn't. But, indirectly, I heard some things.

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."
- Philippians 4:13
We believe that as human beings, we have limitations. However, when you put your trust and belief in Christ, anything is possible. This is something you should feel each and every day. Again, as a football player, if I put all of my trust solely in myself, I would surely come up short. However, by putting my faith in God in all things, I've found everything will come to pass. That includes our faith. Our faith is something that is continuously evolving. It is a necessary constant in our lives, but one that is constantly expanding. People who have experienced faith have to keep it in their life; if they don't, they can feel the absence of it.
There are those who want to say they have faith, yet they are never satisfied with anything. They are always searching for something to fill that void created by the lack of faith. They might know what it is that they are searching for, or maybe they do not. That's why I believe one of my duties of my faith is to share it. And let me tell you, that gives me a great sense of joy and peace. In fact, speaking to others about faith might be more of a blessing to me than to the people I'm speaking to.

"Then Moses led Israel from the Red Sea, and they went into the Desert of Shur. For three days they traveled in the desert without finding water. When they came to Marah, they could not drink its water because it was bitter. (That is why the place is called Marah.) So the people grumbled against Moses saying, 'What are we to drink?'
"Then Moses cried out to the Lord, and the Lord showed him a piece of wood. He threw it into the water, and the water became sweet.
"There the Lord made a decree and a law for them, and there He tested them. He said, 'If you listen carefully to the voice of the Lord your God and do what is right in His eyes, if you pay attention to His commands and keep all His decrees, I will not bring on you any of the diseases I brought on the Egyptians, for I am the Lord, who heals you.'
"Then they came to Elim, where there were 12 springs and 70 palm trees, and they camped there, near the water."
- Exodus 15:22-27

This speaks to me about how our walk with Christ needs to be continuously evolving. Too often people settle for less than the whole. They settle for just a piece, instead of the whole thing. They are satisfied with the blessing they receive today and wake up with that same satisfaction tomorrow, instead of an excitement for what is ahead the coming day. You have to celebrate today, but be ready to search for tomorrow's blessing.

I can apply that to my own life. I was blessed at Weber State during my redshirt freshman year as the starting quarterback. After that year ended, I had to be looking for the next blessing. That took me to Snow College. Yes, it was a great year at Snow.

But had I given up the search and exploration there, I would have never gone on to Oklahoma and the blessings that awaited me there.

And that is why I am ready for the next challenge, wherever that might take me. The following fields overflowed: SECTION = Oklahoma NOW! RELIGION - ETHICS - VALUES
Archive ID: 845652
Appreciate that. Thank you.

Reactions: VOLfrombama

VN Store

Back