Just How Good Is This Heupel Guy?

All due respect to Heupel, who I do think is a great coach and doing a great job for Tennessee, this isn't really a full picture of the situation unless it also includes transfer portal information. Tennessee's NIL outfits have been recognized as doing an excellent job, and some of that money has gone to bringing in transfers who could make an impact on Tennessee but who aren't reflected in the traditional recruiting rankings.

I appreciate this thought, but honestly don't believe our lads are "a lot less."

I think progrms like Bama, Ohio State, Georgia, and Texas get rating bumps that over-inflate the talent of their players. A 4-star signs with Nick or Kirby? Bump to 5-star coming soon. And the inverse for programs that haven't been in the national title scene in recent years; a 5-star might get bumped down after signing with the Vols.*

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy, so that the rating services seem smarter than they really are.

Given that, the Bamas and UGas on that list are not as strong as they seem. Nor are the Newcomers (for lack of a better word) quite as under-powered.

I mean, just watch our lads play against the best. They hold their own. Sometimes they do more than that. That more than anything else tells me our TRUE talent levels aren't nearly that far apart.

~ ~ ~

Having said that, I do agree with you that Josh & Co are really good developmental coaches. As well as geniuses at play-calling and scheming. And great leaders. It's all good with them. We have the very best, I firmly believe. There's not a better collective coaching staff in college football, I don't think. Honestly.

But yeah, our lads aren't that far behind the Ohio States and Texases. We're actually probably very close in most position groups QB, yes. RB, yes. TE, yes. OL, could still stand a bit of improvement. WR, yes. DL, hell yes. LB, yes. DB, looking a lot like yes right now. Special teams yes. We have tons of talent, all over.

Go Vols!

* That will start changing as we become a regular in the playoffs. It will fix itself. To our benefit and some other teams' loss. We were a "program like Bama, Texas, and Ohio State" for most of our history, before the Dark Ages hit. We're getting back there now. The rating services will adjust to us over the next couple of years.

Florida State is the 13th most talented team according to 247. They are 1-4. Talent helps but you need a coach that can bring it all together.
Haven't watched FSU this year , but I think their players are really down as a result of being screwed out of the playoffs last year. Thet have lost games this year to teams they shouldn't have.

Heupel has a better record against Bama than does Kirby Smart. Smart is 1-6 against the Tide.

So much for dynasty underway in Athens!!!😂😂😂😂😂

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
All due respect to Heupel, who I do think is a great coach and doing a great job for Tennessee, this isn't really a full picture of the situation unless it also includes transfer portal information. Tennessee's NIL outfits have been recognized as doing an excellent job, and some of that money has gone to bringing in transfers who could make an impact on Tennessee but who aren't reflected in the traditional recruiting rankings.
Which speaks to the importance of a healthy athletic department.. Something Tennessee did not have in the two decades leading up to the Josh Heupel hire. Danny White knew what he had in Josh Heupel. We didn’t, but he did.

Bingo

Consider this…

TeamAP Rank2024 Class CompositeRange (rank-comp)
Alabama110
Texas24-2
Ohio State330
Tennessee417-13
Georgia523
Oregon660
Penn State711-4
Miami814-6
Missouri919-10
Michigan1016-6

The ceiling is high for Tennessee. Doing a lot more with a lot less. (Coach Dork is doing surprisingly well, too)
Coach Dork also isn’t playing anyone

Consider this…

Alabama110
Texas24-2
Ohio State330
Tennessee417-13
Georgia523
Oregon660
Penn State711-4
Miami814-6
Missouri919-10
Michigan1016-6

The ceiling is high for Tennessee. Doing a lot more with a lot less. (Coach Dork is doing surprisingly well, too)
I pains me to admit it , because he's just one of those freakin faces , but he's a pretty solid coach. Not on Heupel's level , but better than I gave him credit for at first.

Reactions: BDP! and Caspian
Coach Dork... Vandy took him to 2 overtimes. Probably a testament to a better Vandy team, but don't overthink it. It's VANDERBILT. (ptcarter drops mic).

The 247 talent composite does include transfers.I assume that is what they are using.

Reactions: casual-observer
I believe the composite includes transfers, net. Can someone confirm?

A team’s mentality is totally on the coach, especially in college football
Nah, it's not.

The coach plays a big role. But he has even less control over these lads than their parents did. Ever been a parent of a teen boy? Yah, it's like, put on a catcher's mitt and just stand by for the stuff to hit the fan again, heh.

So the coach, if he's a good leader, and one who connects well with 18-24 year old lads, plays a bigger role than any other single person. But he's far below 50% in control.

The seniors and other leaders on the team actually play the next biggest role, probably. I mean, the assistant coaches as well, but the upperclassmen drive a lot of how the lads prepare and set themselves for games.

Put it this way: if the head coach sets the tone, drives the narrative, then the leaders in the locker room give it the stamp of approval and enforce it...or don't.

So no, not "totally" on the coach.

Go Vols!

Reactions: greenbacknative
Consider this…

Alabama110
Texas24-2
Ohio State330
Tennessee417-13
Georgia523
Oregon660
Penn State711-4
Miami814-6
Missouri919-10
Michigan1016-6

I’d trade traditional rival Ark for Alabama with him, then compare.

I think the rankings the OP referenced do include portal transfers.

If not here are the portal rankings for 2023 and 2024:

Last edited:
Reactions: BADGER_VOL
Here are the portal rankings for 2023 and 2024:

Well then he sure isn’t killing it to make up for the HS recruits…

I think we have a good coach who develops players very well, knows how to put them into a system to maximize their talents, and keeps the team working hard and focused.

And if he can do that while still improving talent level he’s bringing in…. 🤔 😈

I don't think Huepel is doing more with less this season. In 2022 he definitely outperformed the talent he had. In 2024 I believe we are the most talented team in the country player for player. Recruiting rankings might not reflect it but I believe the eye test does.

We're not taking the back seat to anyone this year either in talent or coaching. We have the best players and the best coach.

VN Store

Back