Just how good is this team?

Dudleys87

2B1A1
There was only 1 team out of the greatest teams of all time that had a better overall record than Tennessee:

1983 Texas Longhorns at 66-14

The closest teams after them are

‘95 Cal St Fullerton and ‘77 Arizona St at 57-9 and 57-12 respectively.

Lead division 1 in HRs ending 4 shy of the all time record posted by LSU in ‘97 at 188

The 1st overall 1 seed to win the title since Miami in ‘99.

This team had their ups and downs but they stand among the legends of the game now and no one can take it away.

It's hard to judge who is the best across different eras and different situations. Some of those teams amassed records in conferences much weaker then today's SEC. LSU's homer record was done in the live bat era. I can't say they are the best, but they rightfully take their place among the best.

You put our hitting stats/ranking and pitching stats/ranking together, combined with the record in the post-1992 era (which limited games played to a max of 56 plus postseason) and there is an argument that this is the best team in college baseball history.

Because there is an argument, I am proclaiming this the Best Team in College Baseball History. You can't beat my argument, ergo, we ARE the Best Team in College Baseball History.

End of discussion. :cool:

The FSU game was the the point I realized this was a team of destiny. Moore hitting for the cycle in Omaha was special and 5 players with 20+ homers might not be duplicated. This team was so well rounded, every regular player had big moments during this run.
The cycle meant we had to win it all.

Reactions: Jpcisco
There was only 1 team out of the greatest teams of all time that had a better overall record than Tennessee:

Lead division 1 in HRs ending 4 shy of the all time record posted by LSU in ‘97 at 188

This team had their ups and downs but they stand among the legends of the game now and no one can take it away.
Best ever

How good was this team?
Moore hit for a cycle and was easily the most talked about Vol in Omaha.
Ensley made an incredible catch that has been replayed dozens of time and literally left his mark on the wall, then made an incredible slide in the series finale that ended up being the difference in the score.
Burke was solid and made several pickoffs at first, and will forever be remembered for the checked swing.
Dreiling was the silent killer with HRs in each of the championship series games, and drove in the winning run in the miraculous comeback against FSU.
Tears replicated Ensley’s crash into the wall and added his own sliding catch to the highlights reel.
Stark was a monster behind the plate, and delivered the insurance runs in a crucial game.
The pitching was bend but don’t break, with Sechrist, Beam, Combs, Connell, Sneed and the rest of the bullpen doing enough to keep A&M quiet when they needed to.

So much more to say, can’t say enough good things!

Just an overall great team effort and so much fun to watch. Gonna miss watching baseball these next two months!

Could be wrong but I believe I saw that it’s the most wins by a team since they put a cap on the number of regular season games you can play. The ones with more wins were before the cap.

Have to be top 5 all time. Would’ve broken the 200 home runs had the played all games full instead of run ruling so many!

Reactions: Godfatha

The only part of your post I question is that this team had its ups and downs. One of the remarkable aspects of this bunch is that there were really no "downs". The only thing that comes close is the SEC opening series loss at Alabama. Other than that, they were incredibly consistent.

I'm betting none of those other teams could have won this years SEC championship. The parity was just not there back then.

VN Store

Back