Keep your paper dictionaries

happy-go_vol

Southern by God's grace
It wouldnt be if Oxford put it in their dictionary. That's a whole new level of nerdy swagger I could try out.

"Hey babe, bet you havent been with someone who's in the dictionary"

Writes itself.
💯

It wouldnt be if Oxford put it in their dictionary. That's a whole new level of nerdy swagger I could try out.

"Hey babe, bet you havent been with someone who's in the dictionary"

Writes itself.
Almost as effective as your civil war historical facts openers.

Reactions: StarRaider
I don't know. Woman is not the only definition to be changed in the last 2 years. How many other have been changed with Webster?

Words don't have meaning, they have usages. Hence one word may be used to convey a completely different idea in one sentence than in another. Here's a thought: use the word how you like and stop being so sensitive.

Reactions: tennvols77
Words don't have meaning, they have usages. Hence one word may be used to convey a completely different idea in one sentence than in another. Here's a thought: use the word how you like and stop being so sensitive.

About that ... google what a dictionary literally is .

Maybe rather than quibble over this I can restate my original comment: words don't have intrinsic meaning; we use them to convey meaning. That more agreeable to you? The notion that words have intrinsic meaning can be disproven by looking at a dictionary and seeing how the same word may be used to convey entirely different ideas from one sentence to the next. Also, the definitions of words change as popular usage does.

Maybe rather than quibble over this I can restate my original comment: words don't have intrinsic meaning; we use them to convey meaning. That more agreeable to you? The notion that words have intrinsic meaning can be disproven by looking at a dictionary and seeing how the same word may be used to convey entirely different ideas from one sentence to the next. Also, the definitions of words change as popular usage does.

Of course , they change the meanings of words over time just like they add a word that gets brought into a language from simply being used often enough . I would say though that as long as we have access to google or a dictionary, people will always search them for the meanings of a word. The reason I’m usually b!tching about this ( I believe it is what the other poster was talking about ) is because we misuse a word or phrase enough and it gets put into a dictionary as a meaning to that word . Best example I’ve seen , and it just been this year .. MURAL . This word has a very specific origin and mean , and yet ..

Reactions: Boca Vol
Of course , they change the meanings of words over time just like they add a word that gets brought into a language from simply being used often enough . I would say though that as long as we have access to google or a dictionary, people will always search them for the meanings of a word. The reason I’m usually b!tching about this ( I believe it is what the other poster was talking about ) is because we misuse a word or phrase enough and it gets put into a dictionary as a meaning to that word . Best example I’ve seen , and it just been this year .. MURAL . This word has a very specific origin and mean , and yet ..

Good points. IMO, people use a dictionary as validation for acceptable (proper) meaning/use for a word. Recently the definition of RACISM was changed. US dictionary Merriam-Webster to change its definition of racism

Changing a definition or adding additional meanings isn't necessarily a bad thing. The problem comes when it becomes easy to put pressure on companies like Merriam-Webster to change definitions to re-enforce the "new" meaning as a means for validation. As in, "See, it's in the dictionary. It must be true." This quote by M-W is a bit concerning, “We apologise for the harm and offense we have caused in failing to address this issue sooner,” the editor wrote, according to a message published by Drake University and retweeted by Mitchum.

Regarding people always using a dictionary or Google to get the meaning the word, don't underestimate the stupidity of the woke culture. Remember the tennis analyst that referred to Serena Williams using "guerilla" tactics with her approach to defending the net:? https://nypost.com/2020/01/25/espn-...er-still-paying-for-absurd-racist-accusation/

Reactions: 0nelilreb

VN Store

Back