Kentucky Game Poll

In light of our performance against Vandy, what do you predict will be the outcome against Kentucky?

• Total voters
I think that we will win with comfort, but I hope that we blow them out. I think or hope is more like it, that our defense will not be so aloof in this one.

We don't even know what Kentucky will try to do on offense since they fired their OC this week.

I voted 10-20 points, but that is contingent on the running game being tremendously successful as it was for 3 quarters against Vandy. Riggs & Houston and the Ol must have 200+ yards rushing again to avoid putting Slick Rick Clausen into the position to make the plays to win the game. That's just something I'm not comfortable with.

THe D MUST be swarming and relentless as well. If not, we could get a real scare.

Somebody (AllVol) give us the breakdown. Have we played two good games in a row? How many subpar games have we played in a row.

Auburn spanked us one week; the next week we displayed a great effort against UGA.

Do we play better after a solid performance (UGA) or weak performance (AUB; VU) --- whatever the answer, that's what I want to happen in the UK game :rolleyes:

Oh crap, I forgot that we desparately need a good performance in a bowl game -- well whatever has to happen in the UK game for us to put together two great games in a row -- now that's what I'm looking for...

My vote goes to the blowout option.

Vanderbilt has a better defense than Kentucky, allowing 26 points per game compared to Kentucky's 30.4. Couple that with Rick Clausen and company starting to find a bit of a groove again (The Vols scored more points against Vandy than any other team Vandy has played this season, including Georgia, Florida and LSU) and you have some potentially serious offensive game going on.

On to the defense... Speaking of season scoring records, Vandy had their second highest scoring game of the season on us. We are a close second with points allowed to Vandy, with Rutgers in the lead who allowed 34 points. Hopefully the fact that Vandy was within a 6 point margin of us really drilled home the fact that defense has got to improve. If our boys get the message and actually show up against Kentucky, look for 10-13 points allowed this Saturday.

Just my thoughts.

Voting for blowout!!! I don't think it will even be close after the 1st qtr...

I think our defense will be looking for vindication after giving up so many yards and points to Vandy's offense. I think our offense will come out and play big again, and we'll win 41-10.

I won't throw any stats out, its quite obvious that the Vols played well offensively to start the season:
UNLV, Florida, La Tech

However, the defense gave up a bunch of big plays in the first 4 games, with the offense sputtering in game # 4 against Auburn:
UNLV, Florida, La Tech, Auburn

Then the Vols played well on both sides of the ball game # 5 at Georgia. However, this would be the first game where the Tennessee 'D' played tough for the first 3 quarters only to get soft in the 4th quarter.

The offense would continue to sputter in games # 6 Ole Miss and # 7 Alabama. The defense played great in both games.

The offense started the same against South Carolina (game # 8), but was sparked by Shaeffer heading into the second half. The Tennessee 'D' again goes soft in the 4th quarter, after playing great for 3 quarters.

The offensive momentum from the 2nd half of the South Carolina game did not carry over to the Notre Dame game (game # 9). An injury to Ainge did not help either. The defense played great for the whole game.

The offense awoke against a poor Vanderbilt (game #10) defense. However, the soft defense (4th quarter) seen in the weeks leading up to the game, showed up in the 2nd quarter this time and again in the 4th quarter.

The good part about playing Kentucky is that they are last in scoring in both categories. The passing offense statistically is worse than Alabama's. The Vols were able to hold Alabama to 113 yards passing. Kentucky is not any better running the ball, averaging only 108 yards per game.

Where Vanderbilt had preseason hopes of going to a bowl game... Kentucky never had such hopes. Kentucky has been held under 10 points 5 times this season. There leading rusher is QB Shane Boyd who has 279 yards and 4 tds. He has also passed for 1110 yards, 5 TDs, and 8 ints.

To answer your question about what it takes for the Vols to put together a few good games in a row..... I think it is focus and intensity. These players don't seem to keep intensity in games when they start to get a lead. And like against Auburn, they go through times when the other team gets momentum, and they get down and lose intensity. (the 2 quick scores the 'd' gave up against Auburn just before the half).

If the Vols are able to keep the intensity up for the ENTIRE ballgame, I think they can beat anybody in the country.

Honestly, I'd love to see a blowout, or at least a comfortable win. I'll be fairly happy with a win, no matter what, however.

I don't expect this game to be a shootout by any stretch, though.

For those thinking about a few years ago when UK could score points, well, they had J-Load and some good wrs. Shane Boyd is no Jared Lorenzen.

I believe that the Vols will beat Kentucky, but if we don't beat Kentucy, Philip Fulmer and Randy Sanders will be on the hot seat.

As a UK fan and one that is so sure this will be a blowout I will predict the first score UT gets is the winning score. We cant score points and we cant stop anyone.

I see something in the neighborhood of 63-0 or 63-3 :bad:

Attachments

• tubbyroutNEW0210.jpg
    tubbyroutNEW0210.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 0
Dear Wildcat Fan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You are the most unique person I have ever known.Each autumn, Saturday after Saturday, you make your way to Lexington from all over the state to the football games. Why? I've asked myself that question a hundred times.

You haven't had a lot to cheer about on most of those Saturdays. I can understand the fan enthusiasm at schoo;s like Alabama & Georgia & Tennessee, but your devotion to UK football is, as the King of Siam said,"a puzzlement".

You have given the Wildcats your total support. You come from every nook & cranny of this state.But that doesn't explain it either. Alabama & Georgia @ Tennessee have powerfull football programs. In most seasons, both will be ranked amounf the nations powers. It's easy for them to get statewide support. So that's not the total answer.

I confess I don't know what makes you tick. I don't quite understand the overwhelming support you give the Kentucky football program. I do know this: the University is mighty lucky to have you.

Caywood Ledford
September 01, 1980

Attachments

• tshirt.jpg
    tshirt.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 0
That's pretty funny katman. Kind of reminds me of our basketball program..

I am thinking a relatively close game(2 td lead maybe), but I am hoping that after the first half we rest alot of the starters and give some second and third teamers some PT. I think Jim Bob gets to play this game. Hopefully we come out of this game with our starters warm, but rested.

VN Store

Back