Land Of The Bad..... Netflix movie

I am pretty sure they say Go Vols during one of the scenes.
The full bird colonel who is hanging out with the enlisted people (weird) watching the ball game yells Go Vols and everyone joins in. They got a couple shots of UT playing at home as well.

I couldnt tell if Russell Crowe was supposed to be a fat retired civilian who liked dressing up like a clown Captain, or if he was actually supposed to be an active duty officer.

Reactions: titansvolsfaninga
At the end of the movie in the background, Vols beat Auburn to advance to the Elite 8. The narrative is the group is watching the game while failing to respond to a phone call in the day room to suspend a B-1 bombing run that would otherwise kill 2 special ops and a freed hostage in the Philippine, AF Colonel is wearing a sweet UT orange ball cap. Entertaining movie.

Pretty good flick. Posters are correct that the plot setting in March Madness timeframe. Crowe’s character laments that his team (OhioSU) chokes out of the tournament to a weak team.

Many images of UT bball are in the background on the TV. Announcers are heard saying great look by Zeigler and he’s unstoppable and such.

Funny issue however…..the very first look we are given of the Vols on the screen is clearly at the Battle for Atlantis season opener. You can see it blazoned on the court sideline. Also, I believe the footage of us beating auburn to advance to the E8 was on our home court, but don’t recall for certain. Have images of checkerboards on the sidelines in my head.

But it was at least actual footage of our team and was prominently discussed in the script.

At the end of the movie in the background, Vols beat Auburn to advance to the Elite 8. The narrative is the group is watching the game while failing to respond to a phone call in the day room to suspend a B-1 bombing run that would otherwise kill 2 special ops and a freed hostage in the Philippine, AF Colonel is wearing a sweet UT orange ball cap. Entertaining movie.
Yeah they advanced to the Elite 8 but they were playing in TBA and it said SEC Championship on the screen. Things like that annoy me so much lol.

Last edited:
Yes, they had UT games from different seasons and tried to badly splice them together into one season, misrepresenting what game was being shown. My biggest objection is that the Colonel was failing to do his duty… not a look I wanted associated with UT.

Furthermore, casting 60 year old Russell Crowe as an Air Force Captain (O-3) with a BMI approaching 60 seemed laughable. Would think he would fall victim to up-or-out promotion policies by that point. 30 years as an Air Force captain?

Also, the low altitude with burners ingress of the B-1 against an insurgent group without air defenses was Hollywood at its “best”. At least the badass operators didnt have to charge their rifles every four seconds to let the audience know the gun was now finally ready to be used (and that they were patrolling with unchambered rifles).

I thought it was an ok movie though.

The full bird colonel who is hanging out with the enlisted people (weird) watching the ball game yells Go Vols and everyone joins in. They got a couple shots of UT playing at home as well.

I couldnt tell if Russell Crowe was supposed to be a fat retired civilian who liked dressing up like a clown Captain, or if he was actually supposed to be an active duty officer.
Yea, this was all weird to me. I feel like they should have leaned into Russell Crowe being a civilian rather than leaving it so vague (active duty bonuses) bs. I dont know much about the Air Force so i cant comment on the officers hanging with the enlisted. But in the USMC. you rarely ever seen that unless you were on deployment.

Yes, they had UT games from different seasons and tried to badly splice them together into one season, misrepresenting what game was being shown. My biggest objection is that the Colonel was failing to do his duty… not a look I wanted associated with UT.

Furthermore, casting 60 year old Russell Crowe as an Air Force Captain (O-3) with a BMI approaching 60 seemed laughable. Would think he would fall victim to up-or-out promotion policies by that point. 30 years as an Air Force captain?

Also, the low altitude with burners ingress of the B-1 against an insurgent group without air defenses was Hollywood at its “best”. At least the badass operators didnt have to charge their rifles every four seconds to let the audience know the gun was now finally ready to be used (and that they were patrolling with unchambered rifles).

I thought it was an ok movie though.
Hollywood is replete with inaccurate military portrayals.

Like another guy posted the gross dereliction of duty is not a good look for AF or the VOLS.

I missed the 98 championship season - deployed in Bosnia. Didn’t get to watch much tv.

I think most military guys are more focused on mission when it’s real than a ball game.

But it’s Hollywood. Entertaining flick though

Like another guy posted the gross dereliction of duty is not a good look for AF or the VOLS.

I missed the 98 championship season - deployed in Bosnia. Didn’t get to watch much tv.

I think most military guys are more focused on mission when it’s real than a ball game.

Thank you for your service... 🍊🍊💪

Reactions: JC61

I’d seen these comments so I had to watch the movie. Good movie, but horrible portrayal of Tennessee fans in it, especially military members who are fans. I feel like they were trying to make us look bad, and they succeeded.

Interestingly, in the early 2000s a good friend of mine, also a UT fan, treated the 4star CG of United States Army Europe (USAREUR) during a football game and he was a big Tennessee fan as well. This was in Heidelberg.

yeah, Russell Crowe’s character is supposed to be on active duty, and maybe not his actual age yet, as he spoke of marrying his first wife right about when he was at OSU in 95, so his character would be close to 30 years but that’s feasible. His uniform is not feasible, his beard actually is. I drive onto Ramstein 3-4 times a week and every other airman has a beard now. It’s weird.

That being said, It was a decent movie, which is a rarity anymore.

Call me weird but at the 27 min mark of the movie you hear "Down the Field".... Solid

SPOILER ALERT: Just watched the movie and it was very entertaining, but... the Vol fans watching the Sweet 16 were portrayed as cartoon a$$holes who spent their time watching a game while the real heroes (both Buckeye fans) were on a wet ops mission retrieving a CIA asset. It's not a stretch to call the movie a propaganda film. Also, Starbucks and Monster energy drink were heavily featured as product placement. GBO!

Reactions: VolnGermany
I’d seen these comments so I had to watch the movie. Good movie, but horrible portrayal of Tennessee fans in it, especially military members who are fans. I feel like they were trying to make us look bad, and they succeeded.

Interestingly, in the early 2000s a good friend of mine, also a UT fan, treated the 4star CG of United States Army Europe (USAREUR) during a football game and he was a big Tennessee fan as well. This was in Heidelberg.

yeah, Russell Crowe’s character is supposed to be on active duty, and maybe not his actual age yet, as he spoke of marrying his first wife right about when he was at OSU in 95, so his character would be close to 30 years but that’s feasible. His uniform is not feasible, his beard actually is. I drive onto Ramstein 3-4 times a week and every other airman has a beard now. It’s weird.

That being said, It was a decent movie, which is a rarity anymore.
Spot on!

Reactions: VolnGermany
They showed scenes from at least three games. Atlantis tourney, Tennessee at home and one of the SEC tourneys in Nashville.
Yep, and this ”game” was magically being played out over a span well over 8 hours.

So, for this to be somewhat realistic, you’d say they were watching past games. But games that you’re watching a replay of don’t draw that big a crowd or generate that kind of excitement, ie. a watch party.

Like I said, the movie was good overall, but messing up little details like this that are quite obvious lets a lot of air out of the balloon for me.

VN Store

Back