Lane STILL WISHES he'd STAYED on Rocky Top!

I still can't figure out why so many young fans are infatuated with the guy. He buried the program with what turned out to be the worst recruiting class in Tennessee history and then tried to destroy the program by trying to steal the recruits (2nd class) already on campus as he was going out the door. Kiffin may have turned out to be a successful coach but he was punk when he was here and the best thing he did for the program was to leave.

He’s in….(checks notes)…..Oxford, Mississippi.

So, hell yeah! he wishes he was still here!
Oxford a cool town, believe it or not, and the surrounding area has exploded with a lot of new development in the past 10 years.

I still can't figure out why so many young fans are infatuated with the guy. He buried the program with what turned out to be the worst recruiting class in Tennessee history and then tried to destroy the program by trying to steal the recruits (2nd class) already on campus as he was going out the door. Kiffin may have turned out to be a successful coach but he was punk when he was here and the best thing he did for the program was to leave.
While I wouldn't want the guy back. I think a lot of people forget how terrible of a job Hamilton did in the hiring of Kiffin to begin with. It is hard to blame Kiffin for the downfall of the program. Dude should have never been hired in the first place.

As far as him trying to take his class with him. Any coach with a pulse would do the same. He recruited them here, you think he wouldn't want them at SC? He had built relationships with those kids over the past year he was at UT. Really no different than a person in upper management who changes companies and poaches people who worked for them.

He was and still is a total douche bag.

I used to talk to Monte Kiffin now and then, He used to shop at my publix when Lane was coaching FAU...He actually started the conversation after seeing me with my Tennessee hat on and yes he even said He wishes they had stayed in Knoxville...He said he loved it there but Lane took what he thought was his dream job and you can't fault a man for chasing his dreams but of course it turned into a nightmare..He even said If Tennessee would ever offer him again he would jump at the chance to come back but would have to do some serious making up with the fans...But of course we all know thats never going to happen...All in all he was a very nice man and very polite.

Reactions: T_Vol376
Odd for him to do that but just guessing it took him back through memory "Lane" when he was younger and his family was still together.
It's a snapshot of a time he probably wishes he could get a do-over . He had his family together , his dad and yawyaw beside him on the field , and optimism . It's a shame some people have to lose it all before they appreciate it.

Reactions: BreatheUT
I think Lane does regret the things he did here and how he left. And as another poster above said stupid Hamilton is the guy who let Kiffin modify his buyout clause that if he left for USC the buyout would not apply. I mean how much more of a red flag do you need that he was waiting on them to call him. He knew the AD there. He was an immature spoiled child at the time.

Which is more popular with fans, back up quarterbacks or coaches that took a dump on our program?

Between Kiffin and Pearl, and the myriad of all-star backups we have had, that’s a tough call.

Reactions: Nerwen Aldarion
It seems like a lot of folks think this but I don't know why. It would be a harder job than Ole Miss especially regarding the fan base and the administration. Gator fans are ruthless and I don't think Kiffin would gel at Florida. Just my 2 cents. But if he ends up there it will be fun beating him. GBO!!!
Some of this might because the guy occasionally reminds folks of the "ole ball coach".

Which is reason enough NOT to make that move...

I used to talk to Monte Kiffin now and then, He used to shop at my publix when Lane was coaching FAU...He actually started the conversation after seeing me with my Tennessee hat on and yes he even said He wishes they had stayed in Knoxville...He said he loved it there but Lane took what he thought was his dream job and you can't fault a man for chasing his dreams but of course it turned into a nightmare..He even said If Tennessee would ever offer him again he would jump at the chance to come back but would have to do some serious making up with the fans...But of course we all know thats never going to happen...All in all he was a very nice man and very polite.
I remember an interview with Monte and he said that begged Lane to stay in Knoxville and that he was making a huge mistake and that it didn't get better than what they had in Knoxville. He even said that he considered seeing if the new coach would keep him on staff as he loved it in Knoxville so much.

Reactions: VOLnMiami
He just loves the attention Vol fans continue to give him. It doesn't matter if he is the hero or the villian. He is like a toxic teenage girl..

Reactions: Nerwen Aldarion
hell no to wonderboy,he burnt our program down. that's unforgivable offense. Hope he loses every game he coaches and never makes the playoffs.

VN Store

Back