Legendary Vols fullback Andy Kozar dies at 79

EricberryFAN

GO VOLS MAN!
KNOXVILLE (WATE) - Legendary Vols fullback Andy Kozar passed away in Knoxville Thursday at age 79.

Kozar was considered one of the most dominant fullbacks in Tennessee football history. He was a member of the Vols' 1951 national championship team.

A native of St. Michael, Pa., Kozar came to Tennessee and was a three year starter at fullback for the 1950-52 Vols.

He averaged more than five yards per carry for a career that included 27 touchdowns and 1,837 rushing yards on 350 carries.

Kozar led the team in scoring two years and was named the most outstanding back of the 1951 Cotton Bowl.

He opened the season in 1952 with a career high of 155 yards against Mississippi State, but an injury felled him in mid-season.

Kozar was named All-SEC in 1952 and made The Associated Press second team All-America listing.

After his UT playing days, Kozar served in the U.S. Army from 1953-55.

He returned to the gridiron with the Chicago Bears in 1955, but after a brief stint decided to turn his energy and intelligence toward academic endeavors.

Kozar re-entered school and earned his master's in 1957 and his Ph.D. in 1961 at the University of Michigan, where he also served on the faculty in physical education.

In 1966, Kozar returned to UT as head of the Men's Physical Education Program. He served in that role until 1974.

He was part of UT's Exercise Science Department for the past 25 years.

Kozar was named to the Tennessee Sports Hall of Fame in 1979, the Greater Knoxville Sports Hall of Fame in 1989 and the Cotton Bowl Hall of Fame in 2005.

Kozar is survived by his wife, the former Marian V. Higgs of Toano, Va. They have three children: Mary Anne, Andrew Joseph Jr., and Amy Elizabeth.

Funeral arrangements are pending.

RIP.

I Found Andy Kozar on the radio in 1951 as a young boy. I have been a Tennessee fan ever since. This man was an inspiration to me and I am deeply saddened to hear of his death. My condolences to his family.

I was a Freshman in the Fall of 1967. I took raquetball as a PE course. Dr. Kozar found me practicing by myself and challenged me to a game. He spotted me 19 and won 21-19. I think he invented the game.

I was a Freshman in the Fall of 1967. I took raquetball as a PE course. Dr. Kozar found me practicing by myself and challenged me to a game. He spotted me 19 and won 21-19. I think he invented the game.

never played him like you did but he did stop in and teach one day in my racquetball class. Don't think I realized who he was at the time

VN Store

Back