Leinart wins the Heisman

I'm OK with Lineart. I could have gone along with any of the finalists. With all these guys with big stats on undefeated teams, you could argue for any of them.

Who cares? When Peyton Manning had that award taken away from him I vowed never to watch that show again. They have ESPN televising, Colorado stat boy announcing and the rest of the college game day scam.

Well, now the NFL teams know who not to pick.

Leinart went into the season as the favorite, just like Manning did. Only this year there was real competition and he still won. Manning had no competition and still lost.

:espn:

It was ESPN and the media who made Woodson the front runner. They started it trying to give Peyton some competition and it just snowballed from there. If Peyton could have beaten UF and gone to a NC, it would have been his. It should have been his anyway though.

Yes it does. While I was always mad about Woodson getting the heisman, I like the concept of giving it to defensive players. What did they do though? They went right back to normal protocal after 97. There have been better defensive players and all around athletes since Woodson. So what gives?

I think it's also the fact that it's Michigan -- Recognized as one of the main powerhouse schools.

its all political BS anyway after giving it to Woodson I don't watch the crap either and not just because Peyton didn't win it , because Woodson was ESPN and ABC's pet project and there were other player's (beside's Manning)that yr that deserved it more than he did.

Originally posted by Orangewhiteblood@Dec 12, 2004 11:00 PM
It was ESPN and the media who made Woodson the front runner. They started it trying to give Peyton some competition and it just snowballed from there. If Peyton could have beaten UF and gone to a NC, it would have been his. It should have been his anyway though.

You've got to look at the history of it more.

Every Heisman winner is selected prior to the bowl games.... and the Vols were still very much in National Championship picture when the votes were collected.

#3 Tennessee was 11-1 and playing undefeated #2 Nebraska in the Bowl Coalition Championship game (Sugar Bowl). #1 Michigan was playing #8 Washington State in the Rose Bowl. Had Michigan lost and Tennessee won, the Vols would have been crowned National Champions in 1997.

However, that would have been a big 'if' since Manning played poorly with a badly swollen knee. Manning had no mobility in the game. Nebraska blitzed unmercilessly and Manning was forced to throw short, quick throws. Manning completed 21-of-31 passes but for only 134 yards. The Vols were down only 14-3 at the half... but the Vols' defense had been on the field almost the entire first half. Nebraska came out running and scored twice to go out to a 28-3 advantage. Manning was able to muster another scoring drive and cut the lead to 28-9.... but another scoring drive by Nebraska in the third quarter put the game away as the Cornhuskers built a 35-9 lead going into the 4th quarter. A 4th quarter score put Nebraska up 42-9 before Tee Martin led the Vols to another touchdown and the final score 42-17.

Michigan won the Rose Bowl by a score of 21-16 over the Ryan Leaf led Washington State Cougers.

Originally posted by allvol+Dec 13, 2004 10:46 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (allvol @ Dec 13, 2004 10:46 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Orangewhiteblood@Dec 12, 2004 11:00 PM
It was ESPN and the media who made Woodson the front runner.  They started it trying to give Peyton some competition and it just snowballed from there.  If Peyton could have beaten UF and gone to a NC, it would have been his.  It should have been his anyway though.

You&#39;ve got to look at the history of it more.

Every Heisman winner is selected prior to the bowl games.... and the Vols were still very much in National Championship picture when the votes were collected.

#3 Tennessee was 11-1 and playing undefeated #2 Nebraska in the Bowl Coalition Championship game (Sugar Bowl). #1 Michigan was playing #8 Washington State in the Rose Bowl. Had Michigan lost and Tennessee won, the Vols would have been crowned National Champions in 1997.

However, that would have been a big &#39;if&#39; since Manning played poorly with a badly swollen knee. Manning had no mobility in the game. Nebraska blitzed unmercilessly and Manning was forced to throw short, quick throws. Manning completed 21-of-31 passes but for only 134 yards. The Vols were down only 14-3 at the half... but the Vols&#39; defense had been on the field almost the entire first half. Nebraska came out running and scored twice to go out to a 28-3 advantage. Manning was able to muster another scoring drive and cut the lead to 28-9.... but another scoring drive by Nebraska in the third quarter put the game away as the Cornhuskers built a 35-9 lead going into the 4th quarter. A 4th quarter score put Nebraska up 42-9 before Tee Martin led the Vols to another touchdown and the final score 42-17.

Michigan won the Rose Bowl by a score of 21-16 over the Ryan Leaf led Washington State Cougers. [/quote]
Heisman trophies mean nothing anymore

Peyton noy getting the award invalidated the award for ever. The Civil War may have ended 165 years ago but look at those voting blocks and tell me it&#39;s fair. That&#39;s why Peyton lost, end of converstion. Peyton forever, Stars and Bars forever.

What I say got Woodson the Heisman over Manning was his game against Ohio State. Not only did he have a great game against their rival, but it was national TV and ESPN went into deep lengths to breakdown the game and showcase Woodson.

As for this year, if I had a vote then I would go with Adrian Peterson followed by Reggie Bush, then Lienart, Alex Smith and Jason White coming 5th. Peterson had the freshman bias working against him, much like Vick did when Ron Dayne won the Heisman(that was a career acheivement award that went to Dayne rather than best season.)

And honestly, if the Heisman wasn&#39;t a dominant QB/RB award, then Derrick Johnson should&#39;ve been one of the finalists.

I agree with donsargegolf. I&#39;ve not watched the "heistman" presentation since Peyton was robbed. That award is forever tarnished in my mind and I could care less "who it is given to".

ranks right up there with getting a jelly of the month club membership for Christmas

VN Store

Back