Les Miles files lawsuit against LSU over vacated wins and HOF eligibility

Nerwen Aldarion

Tennessee Girl

The reasoning behind the lawsuit is simple. The 37 wins vacated from Miles’ career record dropped his overall win-loss percentage below the .600 mark needed to qualify for the College Football Hall of Fame.

Thoughts? I often feel like vacating wins (unless a clear cheating advantage is proven beyond reasonable doubt) Is kind of cheap and meaningless gesture.

Granted the article makes a good point that Les Miles did have a high enough win percentage even with the vacated wins if he hadn’t gone on to Kansas and did some piss poor coaching there.

I understand Les Miles' feelings, but suing LSU about it is not the correct tact. If he wants in the CFB HoF, he needs LSU to be behind him 100%.

I personally think he and Leach are both deserving based on what they did, especially Leach. Following Saban and continuing the success is harder than most think. Most coaches fall short. Miles managed.

Leach has been influential.

Even if LSU gives into Miles, that doesn't mean he gets his wins back. they claimed, not sure verbally or in text, they would help Miles get his wins back, then reneged on that "deal". that is what he is sueing over.

not even sure what his lawsuit would end up doing even if he won. I really doubt his court case could force LSU to spend the required amount of money/effort in another court case to get his wins back. especially without knowing what it would take from LSU to get Miles his wins back.

Reactions: SpookyAction
LSU should just vacate his other wins and send him a letter.

Is he really that good of a coach? Ed O won a title and got a check too 🤣

Reactions: #1fulmerite
LSU should just vacate his other wins and send him a letter.

Is he really that good of a coach? Ed O won a title and got a check too 🤣
I'm not sure how good of a coach he actually is, although the "he only won with Saban's players" that gets trotted out is inaccurate.

He did win his 2007 title with lots of Saban's players, and got help from other teams to make it to the game (a 2-loss SEC/national champ is really rare). However in 2011 he made it back to the title game entirely with his own guys and had the misfortune of having to play Saban again in the title game, who he had already beaten in Tuscaloosa in the regular season. He got really stale and uninventive offensively as time went on, so I don't think he was an elite coach, but it also isn't the complete idiot that many make him out to be.

Miles is pathetic. He got fired from LSU in 2016 for failing as a coach. He then got fired from Kansas after going something like 3-18 there, but also telling them lies that he had no behind the scenes baggage from before. But USA Today dug around and found that he had almost got fired in 2013 from sexual harassment of their female student workers. LSU just reprimanded him then and covered it up. But, sure, put him in the HOF with with Schiano and Petrino.

Miles rode Saban’s coattails and should have at least played for a NC once before he trotted that two loss team into the NC game and won. Saban built that LSU program and it carried him even into 2011. Just look at what coach O did. LSU is almost like Florida and Miami and Florida State in that almost anyone should be able to win there.

He would have been much better off finding another DI school and got back above .600.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Miles rode Saban’s coattails and should have at least played for a NC once before he trotted that two loss team into the NC game and won. Saban built that LSU program and it carried him even into 2011. Just look at what coach O did. LSU is almost like Florida and Miami and Florida State in that almost anyone should be able to win there.

He would have been much better off finding another DI school and got back above .600.
Saban only had one season in LSU where he lost less than 3 games. Giving Saban credit for a team that won it all six full years after he left is one of the most asinine things ever posted here. That’s a remarkable feat.

Miles was handed the keys to the Ferrari and did not wreck or ruin it for a good run. It must be harder to do than expected because most coaches don't do as well.

Reactions: GAVol

That's just factually incorrect (see post #7 above).

Saban is the greatest coach of all time, but I don't think even he could "carry" a program 7 years after he left it. lol

Les would have won a second title at LSU if he didn't have the bad luck of having to play Saban again in the title game, after already having beaten him in Tuscaloosa a month and a half before.

Saban only had one season in LSU where he lost less than 3 games. Giving Saban credit for a team that won it all six full years after he left is one of the most asinine things ever posted here. That’s a remarkable feat.
I said program, my friend.

What did Miles accomplish before and after?

Saban is the greatest coach of all time, but I don't think even he could "carry" a program 7 years after he left it. lol

Les would have won a second title at LSU if he didn't have the bad luck of having to play Saban again in the title game, after already having beaten him in Tuscaloosa a month and a half before.
Do you think had he stayed, LSU would have become BAMA?

Regardless of how all this shakes down for Miles, he could always look at a second career as an entrepreneur.

Les Miles Discount Car Sales: Never mind what the odometer says - it's Les Miles!*

* For a limited time only, get a free square of Les Miles Premiuim Snackin' Sod with every test drive!

Last edited:
Do you think had he stayed, LSU would have become BAMA?
No, but that's a completely separate question.

You said Les making it back to the title game 7 years in was riding Saban's coattails. You might have well as said Saban rode Bear Bryant's coattails at Alabama, or Jim Harbaugh rode Fielding Yost's coattails. A guy who plays for a national title after 7 years in a job pretty clearly isn't living on something the previous coach did, no matter how good the previous coach was.

No, but that's a completely separate question.

You said Les making it back to the title game 7 years in was riding Saban's coattails. You might have well as said Saban rode Bear Bryant's coattails at Alabama, or Jim Harbaugh rode Fielding Yost's coattails. A guy who plays for a national title after 7 years in a job pretty clearly isn't living on something the previous coach did, no matter how good the previous coach was.
I’m pretty sure I said “program” which is different than “team”. In fact, there most likely were other coaches who could and would have win more NC’s after Saban at LSU.

But, to back up your statements about Bryant’s tenure at Bama and Yost’s at Michigan, you might want to add Jimmy Johnson riding Howard Schnellenberger’s coat tails at Miami. While you are at it, throw in Dennis Erickson riding his or Larry Coker after Butch Davis.

Now, if you want to stretch your basis, you should use Gene Stallins as he was 10 years and three or four coaches later; Miles was the immediate coach and should have had more than one NC with LSU.

I have zero proof but I’m 100% convinced if he stayed with Jarrett Lee instead of his infatuation with Jefferson they beat Bama in the title game

VN Store

Back