Letter From Mike Hamilton

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Statements from Mike Hamilton and John Peterson

Dear Friends,

Earlier today we announced that we will be moving in a new direction with the Tennessee basketball program.

We all want and expect Tennessee basketball to succeed. Coach Peterson has been a great representative of the University and the athletic department; however, we feel it is time to take the program in a new direction.

This was a tough decision to make. We took a hard look at how the program has developed over Coach Peterson's four years at Tennessee from several different angles including recruiting, player development, post season success and strategy for the future of the program. In the end, the program has not achieved the goals we set for it.

Tennessee fans as well as our administration have an expectation to compete for championships in all of our sports. For basketball, I feel that the program should be participating in post-season play with regular NCAA appearances. We have not made sufficient steps towards these expectations in the past four years.

I firmly believe that Tennessee has the resources and the fan base to be consistently successful in the Southeastern Conference, and I am committed to ensuring we do everything we can to succeed.

We have begun a nationwide search for our new coach. We have engaged former NCAA President Cedric Dempsey of Champ Sports to assist our efforts to identify, recruit and screen coaching candidates. I will direct the search and keep Dr. Petersen informed throughout the process. Out of respect for our outgoing staff, current student-athletes and prospective coaches, I will not be commenting about the search or the program until we introduce our new coach.

As always, thank you for your very loyal support of the University of Tennessee athletic programs.

Expect to win!
Go Vols!

Mike Hamilton
Men's Athletic Director

Him and his 2 headed freak HaslamGoodfriend have 1 chance and only 1 and if they don't get the right one forget it.

:furious3: Once again another coach has come and gone at UT. I feel this was a very bad decision by the AD. Buzz Peterson was a class act and him and his team represented the University very well. His players are outstanding individuals that play till the last second, and always played hard. It is a shame to see what is happening to our schools these days. When a dollar means more to you than a good clean program with a good man like Buzz Peterson then something is wrong. Tennessee's loss not Buzz Petersons loss. He is to good for UT.

Originally posted by bleedingorange@Mar 14, 2005 9:37 PM
Tennessee's loss not Buzz Petersons loss. He is to good for UT.

Let's not get carried away, now. It's just business.

welcome to the board bleedingorange. You don't think he deserved to be fire. He might have been a class man, but how the heck does that help you in the win and loss collumn?

I had rather have a clean program that represents the school well as have a program that stays in trouble and is very undisciplined like our football program

Originally posted by bleedingorange@Mar 14, 2005 10:02 PM
I had rather have a clean program that represents the school well as have a program that stays in trouble and is very undisciplined like our football program

Are a Bammer on here incognito??

Originally posted by bleedingorange@Mar 14, 2005 11:02 PM

:beer:

Originally posted by bleedingorange@Mar 14, 2005 11:02 PM

A little harsh don't you think?

You only have a few guys on the basketball team so it doesn't happen as often. Even Buzz had a few incidents under his watch. Happens everywhere.

All I have heard is how much Buzz was a good guy. That and 50 cents might get you a phone call.

The man was here for 4 seasons of which 2 of them were losing seasons. This team did not show any signs of improvement. Buzz can't recruit, and player development was lacking. If I wanted someone to be the PR rep for the basketball team, I would hire Buzz, but not to coach. And to pile on even more, the man never excepted responsibility. It was always the conditions or the players, or the assistants. Bottom line you are the head coach and it is your job to take the blame when you lose. You don't hear Fulmer or Summitt whining to the press, they take the blame, and then make the players work harder to win. I applaud Hamilton for making the right move.

VN Store

Back