Lieberman possibly running as an independent

GAVol

Overrated
Staff member
I'm pretty sure Hillary Clinton and Howard Dean are not excited about this.

Link

Even as a registered Repub. I like him. And yes, vs. McCain, he might get my vote. That comes from living in AZ too long.

(therealUT @ Jul 3 said:
If it came down to Lieberman vs. McCain, I would vote Lieberman.

That would be a tough call for me as well.

I think you guys read that wrong.

He's not running as an Independant in the Presidential Election, he will run as an independant in his Senate campaign bid, if he doesn't win his parties' nomination in August.

That's exactly what it says . . . but my point still remains the same. It's got to be divisive for the Democrat party to have a guy basically do an end run around the state primary pocess because he knows that he'll win a general election, but might have trouble in the primary.

Do Democrats get behind a popular member of the Senate or do they forsake him for a more liberal candidate?

(GAVol @ Jul 3 said:
That's exactly what it says . . . but my point still remains the same. It's got to be divisive for the Democrat party to have a guy basically do an end run around the state primary pocess because he knows that he'll win a general election, but might have trouble in the primary.

Do Democrats get behind a popular member of the Senate or do they forsake him for a more liberal candidate?

I don't believe anyone would have an answer for him. He could pull the moderates from both parties and get the centrists. Now getting the evangelicals to follow him might be a little tough.

I cant see liberman even getting half the votes perot did. I certainly dont think he is going to get many of the left votes, and none of the centrists either. I also think he will have a very hard time getting many conservatives to vote for him.

The dems have gotten behind his opponent in the primary. Even his buddy Al Gore refused to endorse him saying he doesn't get involved in primaries (except for endorsing Howard Dean of course!).

I think Lieberman is one of the most straight forward and honest guys in Washington. I don't agree with some of his ideas but respect his approach. I would support him for pres. if he ran. We definitely need him in the Senate.

(GAVol @ Jul 3 said:

They do the smart thing and vote for the most liberal senator in congress and then wonder why the middle of America doesn't vote democratic in the election.

I'm pretty sure Hillary Clinton and Howard Dean are not excited about this.

I'm sure you're right. More splinters in the splintered party will not help the national dem party.

If it came down to Lieberman vs. McCain, I would vote Lieberman.

I would jump on the "Joe Train"!

He is a closet Republican any who.......lol :banghead: :blush2:

Liebermann is noted for hedging his bets. When he ran for VP with Algore, he was also on the Ballot for Senator. Those sleek-headed political unemployables don't like the thought of giving up their 30 minute a day jobs with the cushy retirements that we all suffer to pay for them.

I'm STILL confused how he's "pulling a Perot".

Perot wasn't in office, he didn't run as an independant instead of his main party of choice, and while he ran for President as an Independant, Leiberman has only said that if he doesn't win the Democratic Senatorial Bid, he will run as an Independant to try and keep his Senate seat. He's not even running for President (or atleast hasn't announced his intentions).

Like I said when you posted the same thing a week ago. . . maybe the comparison to Perot isn't the best, but it was what came to mind when I thought of 3rd party candidates making serious waves.

My point was that a 3rd party candidacy presents an interesting conundrum for the Democrat Party.

I understand that.

BUT HE'S NOT RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT.

So why does the WHOLE Democratic Party care if Lieberman runs as a Democrat or an Independant. He has said he is NOT leaving the party, so in effect, it gives the Democrats two chances to win (keep) the seat, as opposed to just one if he were to bow out after losing the Primary.

My confusion wasn't so much with Perot to Leiberman, as it was to why the Democrats would care about a single Senate Seat.

The Democrats want very badly to distance themselves from any elected official who supports our operations in Iraq. That is why this is such big news.

(therealUT @ Jul 8 said:
The Democrats want very badly to distance themselves from any elected official who supports our operations in Iraq. That is why this is such big news.

Exactly . . . The Democrats are in such turmoil over their position on the war that they are willing to cast aside a popular 3 term Sentator because he agrees with the President. It would be like the GOP supporting a hypothetical opponent for John McCain because he broke ranks with the party again.

Bill Novak-
Supporters of Sen. Joseph Lieberman promise he will continue as a member of the Senate Democratic caucus even if he loses the Democratic primary in Connecticut Aug. 8 and is elected as an independent.

Lieberman's decision announced last week to seek petitions to give him an independent ballot position probably helped businessman Ned Lamont's antiwar Democratic primary campaign. Although Lieberman's support of President Bush on the Iraq war is not popular in Connecticut, he would be heavily favored in a three-way race against Lamont and Republican former state Rep. Alan Schlesinger.

Lieberman's Republican Senate colleagues privately despair of the GOP picking up the Connecticut seat. But they hope Lieberman, if elected as an independent, would be more inclined to vote with Republicans than he is now, even if he still caucuses with the Democrats.

Kerry and Clinton have already stated that they will not support Lieberman if he runs as an independent. I wonder what the implcations will be once he gets back to Washington as far as committee assignments etc? I know he is saying that he will continue to caucus with the Democrats, but how much influence will he really have?

VN Store

Back