LSU Getting After It

Always thought that coach Jay Johnson was a bad fit in Baton Rouge. Don't think he'll last much longer. Just my opinion. :cool:
Always thought that coach Jay Johnson was a bad fit in Baton Rouge. Don't think he'll last much longer. Just my opinion. :cool:
Agreed. It’s about the national championships for them. Taking out their run last year with 2 superstars, their last 6 full seasons they are 200-123. Johnson is 85-43.

Last edited:
Why do you guys think he is overrated? I don't think he would say his strength is in the game management but recruiting is high and developing players. I see their staff as very similar to ours in recruiting and development.

Why do you guys think he is overrated? I don't think he would say his strength is in the game management but recruiting is high and developing players. I see their staff as very similar to ours in recruiting and development.
He's a good coach in my opinion. Top-5 in SEC and we have many high-end managers,

I don’t think he is overrated but the only reason he has a championship is because of David Skenes. Anyone that coaches at LSU is going to be able to recruit due to the history and their NIL commitment. He hasn’t done anything impressive imo. He has just done the minimum expectation there. The only reason he had Tommy White is because Tony wouldn’t guarantee him playing time. Tommy wanted to be in Knoxville. He also made some head scratching decisions in that Chapel Hill regional. I don’t see him winning another national championship unless another generational pitching talent comes there.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I saw him talking in an interview a couple months ago (can't remember when...SEC tournament?) that he was gonna go into this off-season resisting the urge to just add as much talent as possible b/c he felt he had too much talent that was going unused this past year and it kept them from actually developing into the team they could've been on paper. I guess he's thrown that plan out the window and overstocking the cabinets again.

Reactions: HeadVol77
LSU can buy all the players they want, but Johnson is incredibly overrated as a manager so it’s going to take a talent discrepancy to overcome his deficiencies anyway.

He’s terrible

Idk why SEC teams keep trying west coast coaches out. It seems like they never work out in our neck of the woods.

Idk why SEC teams keep trying west coast coaches out. It seems like they never work out in our neck of the woods.

I don’t think he’s terrible like tn4elvis said. He’s obviously worked out to some degree because he won a national title in Year 1. But the down year this year and the regression in a lot of their pitching staff has me questioning how much of the title was Johnson and how much was being blessed with talent and a future Hall of Fame pitcher in Skenes.

I don’t think he’s terrible like tn4elvis said. He’s obviously worked out to some degree because he won a national title in Year 1. But the down year this year and the regression in a lot of their pitching staff has me questioning how much of the title was Johnson and how much was being blessed with talent and a future Hall of Fame pitcher in Skenes.
It’s not so much Jay I’m talking about, but the entirety of west coast guys coming to the south and flaming out.

Justin Ammons was on a Vandy baseball pod once and said the styles are just radically different. Vitello is a coach, Serrano was a manager. Practices were lax with Serrano, vitello’s were brutal. The in game strategy of the west coast is generally small ball as well, and the south doesn’t really play that way. (Besides Kentucky I guess)

It’s just different, and I haven’t seen it work for most who try to move over to the south generally

*Year 2.

I don’t think he’s a good X & O’s coach by any means but I’ll give him a pass on the pitching shortcomings; he’s had 3 pitching coaches in 3 seasons. The first 2 got P5 HC jobs so it’s not a matter of bad turnover.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back