Mahelona & Sears

This definitely wasn't done correctly, but it's sad that these guys had to wonder about possible sanctions in wake of the tragedy that they've been through.

It's sad that the NCAA rules have to be so strict, but I guess it's the old principle of give them an inch and somebody will eventually take a mile.

I hate that the players had to take that on the chin after having had to suffer the fire destroying thier apt, but these players just have to have the attitude of hey, I just got to put up with straight laces for four years, maybe three and then I can get my big payday in the NFL. A gift here or a gift there is just not worth it, and as well intentioned as fans are they should not be enablers. This generation is use to instant gratification. They have to be reminded that things taste alot better from the crock pot than they do from the microwave.

It for sure wasnt handled in the correct manner. The gentlemen trying to help out, should have contacted the AD or the University, about how they could help out with the misfortune. I do not believe the players named, in no way felt they were do anything wrong.

Just a bit nitpicky if they(players) was going to work off the charges, but i can see where the NCAA comes from, If it wasnt paid for upfront by the players, It could be assumed a gift?

Man, all that and Bama thinks their violations should be just a slap on the wrist?

:blink:

Maybe its just me but i think its the athletes responsibility to check with the compliance office before they do anything these days

I dont think that these players are being informed that when they sign on to play ball for a program like UT they are no longer just a regular college student like myself but are athletes that are held to a totally different set of rules.

Originally posted by RckytopQB16@Jun 28, 2005 9:14 PM
I dont think that these players are being informed that when they sign on to play ball for a program like UT they are no longer just a regular college student like myself but are athletes that are held to a totally different set of rules.
[snapback]108601[/snapback]​

Well, you would THINK that SOMEBODY would cover their behinds and get the rules straight.

I guarantee you that the coaches and compliance people beat it into their brains all the time, but it's tough to control the actions of 100 18-22 year olds.

I'll cut Sears and Mahelona some slack due to the circumstances. It's not everyday that you lose everything.

Here at the university where I work, I was not allowed to take one of the basketball players to the dentist and drop him off because he's an athlete.

However, I was able to take one of our students to the orthopedic doc's office and drop her off because she wasn't an athlete.

Does that really make sense to you guys?

Not at all surreal. Sure no expensive gifts ie, cars,trucks, free condo's,CASH, clothing etc etc...But a ride down the road? Or like our guys, come on, I just dont see where it was wrong, IMO
What was they supposed to do, in that situation? I really dont know.
Shouldnt there have been someone on campus they could have went to for help?

My heart goes out to these young men; what a tragic loss. If you know anyone who's ever lost everything they own in a fire, it's terrible.

That being said, these kids have got to understand that from DAY ONE, they cannot take ANYTHING from ANYBODY. Right or wrong, as stupid as it may be, they are under constant scrutiny and under the NCAA (and Bammers, etc.) microscope. It's not that difficult: if offered assistance of any kind, ASK IF IT'S OK! They don't have to know the ins and outs of the rules, just to ask at all times. Period.

Not knocking the boys involved, just asking the administration to get this simple idea through to everyone.

Also, look who arranged the deal, Jerry Colquitt!!! It anyone should have known the rules it's a 5-year member of the UT football team. I remember when Peyton went around and handed out pizza to all of us waiting in line overnight for the UF game and people reported him. It is outrageous but the guys know the rules. I know there's a compliance officer in the AD, they should use him.

VN Store

Back