Mahelona

OWB

Never
Staff member
Tennessee defensive lineman Mahelona takes on fire truck
By RANDY KENNER, kenner@knews.com
March 15, 2005

A University of Tennessee football player whose apartment caught on fire may face a vandalism charge after he allegedly damaged a Knoxville Fire Department engine early Sunday.

Jesse Mahelona, 21, of Kailua-Kona, Hawaii, is listed as the suspect in a Knoxville Police Department report filed in connection with the incident.

At the time the KFD was working a fire at a condominium complex just off UT's campus.

Police were summoned to 2218 Lake Avenue about 2 a.m. on a vandalism call, KPD spokesman Darrell DeBusk said.

The fire apparently had started some time earlier Sunday.

According to a KPD report, firefighters told an officer that Mahelona "hit a handrail that was attached to the rear of the fire truck and broke it off." Mahelona was listed as 6 feet, 2 inches and 300 pounds in UT's 2004 media guide.

The report doesn't specify how Mahelona allegedly struck the rail.

"The suspect was angry because his residence caught on fire," the police report states.

The damage to the fire truck was listed as being about $100.

"Jesse had just lost everything in a fire. He was frustrated and emotional," UT coach Phillip Fulmer said. "He made an attempt to apologize and he's willing to pay for the damages."

There were no charges or citations filed in the incident. DeBusk said Monday that the "Fire Department is discussing whether they will press charges."

KFD spokesman Charlie Barker said the incident was still under investigation.

Mahelona, a defensive tackle, led the SEC in tackles for loss last season.

He is listed as a sociology/criminal justice major and will be a senior this fall.

It's all good. I will be shocked if the FD presses charges. I'd be upset if my house caught on fire, too.

File charges??? Come on! Just let him pay the $100 and be done with it. Can you imagine being 3,000 miles from home and losing everything you own?? They're lucky he didn't eat the fire truck.

Hopefully, a year from now he'll be a first round draft pick and this will be a distant memory.

Maybe they could fire Coach Fulmer and hire him back at $100.00 less next year to take care of it!! :D

My favorite was when former Vol linebacker Jack Reynolds sawed a car in half after a loss. He was then forever known as "Hacksaw" Reynolds.

Not to be forgotten: our thoughts should go out to Jesse for his loss in the fire. Although they are only "temporary" possessions, losing your belongings, and especially things with personal/family meaning (pictures, etc.), must be a very painful experience. If you've ever known anyone to endure such a tragedy, you'll probably agree. At least no one was hurt or killed.

Originally posted by GAVol@Mar 16, 2005 8:23 AM
They're lucky he didn't eat the fire truck.

:eek:lol: Thanks, I needed that laugh on such a dismal day!

I am not too worried about the fire truck - just glad that I am not some on that has to block that kind of rush - if he can break that by hitting it imagine what else he could do to you!!

This whole incident just shows how really fried the NCAA is in some areas.

There is very little that can be done to aid this young man. The only recourse is a NCAA emergency fund.

In cases like this the university should be allowed to re-establish the losses to the student-athlete.

Allowing the school to put him back in an apartment and replace his personal items would be a common sense approach.

Other students can receive donations from local churches, YMCA, friends, but not an athlete.

What exactly do they expect them to wear to class, their uniform?

It wasn't even portrayed as a big deal here in K-town. I would be upset about it too. Let the Oil Man pay the $100.

and as usual with situations like these, it sounds like the whole story is being told. people only smack vending machines when they DONT work....could it be the KFD were having a verbal exchange with Jesse? :question:

Originally posted by OldVol@Mar 16, 2005 12:47 PM
This whole incident just shows how really fried the NCAA is in some areas.

There is very little that can be done to aid this young man. The only recourse is a NCAA emergency fund.

In cases like this the university should be allowed to re-establish the losses to the student-athlete.

Allowing the school to put him back in an apartment and replace his personal items would be a common sense approach.

Other students can receive donations from local churches, YMCA, friends, but not an athlete.

What exactly do they expect them to wear to class, their uniform?

I'm sure somebody has it covered with some kind of insurance. Most insurance companies will hook people up with the essentials while all the paperwork is being filled out.

If no insurance, then I'm sure some lawyer would be happy to help out. :unsure:

Hey, allVol,
I was at UT when Hacksaw was there...knew him...have you heard anything about him the recent past? He was truly a wild man....

VN Store

Back