Mark Richt

TVTT

I don't understand why many people are all over him as a "got to have coach". He came to UGA as a offensive wonder and supposedly the next Steve Spurrier. Well since he's been at GA his offenses have never been higher than 6th in the conference as to total performance and he has yet came close to reminding any one of Spurrier. For all of UGA's talent it has been the defense that has carried them - not the offense. UGA will sorely miss Brian VanGorder not being on staff. College Football News recently deemed Richt as being the most overrated of all D1 head coaches - saying that in big games he has a habit of losing tract of the situation. Mark is apparently a fine christain man, however, he seems to be to soft in the punishment of his players for team violations. I can't remember him dismissing any one from UGA's team for violations and they have had some serious offenses committed since he's been there.

I am not sure how someone could say he doesn't win the clutch games.

He beat us three consecutive times including with a less-talented 2001 team at home.

He coached the winningest QB in D1 History.

He was won the East twice and the SEC once.

He has won the Coach of the Year.

And BTW, UGA finished #1 in the SEC in 2002 in Scoring Offense....with Greene winning SEC Offensive POY (http://www.secsports.com/new/sports/fbc/02stats/confldrs.htm)

He has brought UGA into another level.

One thing I give the man credit is that he hired Van Gorder out of nowhere really.....coaches need to hire smart assis....something some coaches can't do.

BTW, since when does the defense not carry a team?

Originally posted by TVTT@May 29, 2005 10:18 AM
For all of UGA's talent it has been the defense that has carried them - not the offense. UGA will sorely miss Brian VanGorder not being on staff.

I do think the loss of VanGorder will be huge as well. I know some will say the new DC be doing the same system with the same players but Matt Doh did that at UNC as well and you see where it got him. ;)

Martinez does in fact run the exact same system as VG.

I am not sure the Matt D. situation has any type of connection to the UGA DC change.

Originally posted by U-T@May 29, 2005 2:21 PM
Martinez does in fact run the exact same system as VG.

I am not sure the Matt D. situation has any type of connection to the UGA DC change.
[snapback]99122[/snapback]​

Just trying to show that not all coaches from the same system have the same results. :wavey:

VN Store

Back