Memphis basketball program under investigation

Orange defense

Blood runneth orange in my veins
Memphis basketball will be missing one of its biggest pieces in perhaps its biggest game of the season.

The Tigers will be without fifth-year senior Malcolm Dandridge when they take on Florida Atlantic inside FedExForum Sunday afternoon (1 p.m., ESPN). The 6-foot-9 center is averaging 8 points and 5 rebounds per game this season.

Sources tell Bluff City Media that Dandridge is allegedly involved in an academic scandal that’s currently being investigated by Memphis’ compliance department, which is why he’ll be absent from this weekend’s game. Head coach Penny Hardaway and staff were reportedly informed of the investigation earlier this week, and have thoroughly complied thus far. Dandridge is the only player involved in the investigation as of now, according to sources.

Hardaway’s program has already been involved in two NCAA investigations in his six-year tenure. The first was in 2019 when Memphis played 5-star freshman James Wiseman despite being advised not to by the NCAA due to eligibility concerns. This triggered an investigation of the entire program, which was later charged with four Level I violations in March 2022, including a Lack of Institutional Control charge against Hardaway. The IARP, however, opted to soften Memphis’ penalties in October 2022. And the Tigers ultimately received three years of probation and no postseason ban.

But the program earned a fourth year of probation after Hardaway was suspended for three games earlier this season due to a recruiting violation, which was triggered after he and a former assistant illegally visited a Texas high school recruit in 2022.

Memphis is handling this latest matter internally as of now, but a possible third NCAA incident in six seasons would maybe prove devastating for Hardaway’s tenure.

Well! What has happened now? 😱

Reactions: adam.vol and JAL
I’m not seeing this news on any legitimate news sites. Maybe I’m missing it but I’m not sure it’s true.

Memphis basketball will be missing one of its biggest pieces in perhaps its biggest game of the season.

The Tigers will be without fifth-year senior Malcolm Dandridge when they take on Florida Atlantic inside FedExForum Sunday afternoon (1 p.m., ESPN). The 6-foot-9 center is averaging 8 points and 5 rebounds per game this season.

Sources tell Bluff City Media that Dandridge is allegedly involved in an academic scandal that’s currently being investigated by Memphis’ compliance department, which is why he’ll be absent from this weekend’s game. Head coach Penny Hardaway and staff were reportedly informed of the investigation earlier this week, and have thoroughly complied thus far. Dandridge is the only player involved in the investigation as of now, according to sources.

Hardaway’s program has already been involved in two NCAA investigations in his six-year tenure. The first was in 2019 when Memphis played 5-star freshman James Wiseman despite being advised not to by the NCAA due to eligibility concerns. This triggered an investigation of the entire program, which was later charged with four Level I violations in March 2022, including a Lack of Institutional Control charge against Hardaway. The IARP, however, opted to soften Memphis’ penalties in October 2022. And the Tigers ultimately received three years of probation and no postseason ban.

But the program earned a fourth year of probation after Hardaway was suspended for three games earlier this season due to a recruiting violation, which was triggered after he and a former assistant illegally visited a Texas high school recruit in 2022.

Memphis is handling this latest matter internally as of now, but a possible third NCAA incident in six seasons would maybe prove devastating for Hardaway’s tenure.

Well! What has happened now? 😱
Nothing the ncaa can do will be devastating to anyone any more. Those days are soon to be long gone, and everyone can thank Donde Plowman and crew.

Memphis could move on from Hardaway when this season is over.
I think it would be harder to dethrone PH without MAJOR reasons than unseating Elvis as king. I certainly could be wrong but once he let it be known he’d take it the job…NO other candidates had one iota of a chance. CLEARLY…not because he was a great coach (obviously he wasn’t) but because it’s Memphis. As we’ve all known from the beginning…this was never going to end well…but UM had no other choice but to hire him. And will probably have no other choice but to keep him 🤷‍♂️.

NCAA is dead lol, nothing will happen to Memphis. In fact, Memphis (being in Tennessee) will benefit from the ruling yesterday.

NCAA is dead lol, nothing will happen to Memphis. In fact, Memphis (being in Tennessee) will benefit from the ruling yesterday.
Just because the NCAA got scorched on the NIL injunction doesn’t mean they won’t hang Memphis. They still have jurisdiction over academic fraud and they might very well want to flex what little muscle they have left. And there are rumors that it’s deeper than just Dandridge.

It will be interesting to see how it differs from the NC case and what they do. The NC case was the poster child for academic malfeasance but they got off on a “technicality”. Please. If I’m Memphis, I might have to bring that case up in the discussions.

"Dandridge also played for Hardaway at East, helping the Mustangs to a state championship in 2018 − which was later ordered to be vacated by the TSSAA as a result of the school's violation of the organization's recruiting rule."

Bad Tigers, bad Tigers, whatcha' gonna do....

Reactions: OrangeInKy
Just because the NCAA got scorched on the NIL injunction doesn’t mean they won’t hang Memphis. They still have jurisdiction over academic fraud and they might very well want to flex what little muscle they have left. And there are rumors that it’s deeper than just Dandridge.

It will be interesting to see how it differs from the NC case and what they do. The NC case was the poster child for academic malfeasance but they got off on a “technicality”. Please. If I’m Memphis, I might have to bring that case up in the discussions.
I’m all for them hanging Memphis

Reactions: VolTull

Actually, they do not have jurisdiction over academic fraud. That is a matter for the body that handles accreditation of colleges and universities only. That is why UNC got off with no punishment on their scandal with bogus classes. For those that don't remember, the NCAA said that there was no violation because, even though the classes were bogus, the classes were not just for student athletes. Since any student could take the class, there was no violation. What should have happened to UNC went beyond athletics. They should have had their accreditation rescinded but apparently that body has even less balls than the NCAA.

Memphis is in sad shape, and in more ways than one. Under Penny, the program has been stacked with freshman one and dones and mercenaries that are also one and dones. There's no continuity and a lot of the kids have horrible attitudes. It's just a mess. I'm hearing the Dandridge deal is related to academics, but who really knows. The one thing we do know is that there's too much noise in the program and that Penny is not a great coach. Great recruiter, but that's about it.

VN Store

Back