Montrell Jones

duckman398686

VN's One and Only
Anybody remember Montrell Jones (WR) from the 2002 season. He was just a sophomore then but after the season got suspended. Looks like he transferred to Louisville and is playing real good. Judt makes you think of what could have been. It said in one game he caught 2 td passes and returned a punt for a score.

Mo. Jones

Well at least he got a second chance. That's more than what some can say. Wish we could have his punt return skills right now.

Nah. Heffney will be alright. He showed potential last season. The place we need help is on our kick return.

We need somebody to return punts. Out punt return and kickoff return teams were pitiful. I think Morely of Coker might get a chance to return kicks this year. We need to block better on kickoff returns as well.

Hefney is a really good punt returner, the biggest problem is the blocking on both Punt and Kick-off returns are horrible. Until UT is willing to put more emphasis on it it will continue to lag.

Why don't they put more emphasis on it? Surely Fulmer knows that special teams can win you ball games too. We need a solid special teams coach there in Knoxville who does nothing but coaches special teams.

Would be nice, let's put you incharge of forcing the NCAA to allow another coach so UT can have one.

No he just proably needs to just put more practice into it this year. At least our special teams never turned over the ball this year. Also our special team defense was stellar this year. I don't think anyone returned one for a touchdown on us this year.

He was also a True Freshman trying to learn CB and Punt Returning and he was pressing.

We need a "real" punt returner. One like Dale Carter, Willie Gault, Carl Pickens Stanley Morgan. Someone with great hands and SPEED. What ever happened to our speed? Not the multi-positional athletes. We need some skill!!!!!

Well maybe wade can do it. Have he ever got a shot at returning?

Originally posted by donsargegolf@Mar 2, 2005 9:06 PM
We need a "real" punt returner. One like Dale Carter, Willie Gault, Carl Pickens Stanley Morgan. Someone with great hands and SPEED. What ever happened to our speed? Not the multi-positional athletes. We need some skill!!!!!

There you go SARGE. If we are going to speculate on prospects, or put some names out there for future performers to aspire to, atleast you put out some big sticks to measure yourself against. Those days were sweet when you knew that at anytime one of those touched the ball you could just feel the staduim puckering up and getting ready to explode. If you want to be a returner at UT, you need to set their accomplishments as your goal to exceed them. They were real!!!!

Originally posted by TNVOLS1@Mar 2, 2005 8:23 PM
Hefney is a really good punt returner, the biggest problem is the blocking on both Punt and Kick-off returns are horrible.

You nailed it.....we don't spend enough time on it.......and our blocking schemes on kickoffs and punts has been horrible for years.............

Originally posted by TNVOLS1@Mar 2, 2005 8:29 PM
Would be nice, let's put you incharge of forcing the NCAA to allow another coach so UT can have one.

Yeah, I will get right on that then. Like Sarge said, I think that we lack real speed when returning kicks. Maybe it is just me, but it seems like Fulmer puts in the bigger dudes to return kicks. Why not put the tall and skinny guys with speed back there?

Chris Hannon would have had my vote last year since he seemed to stuggle some playing WR. Smith seems like he would be a good returner. Just a thought.

Hefney is plenty fast enough to return kicks............it's not the return men per say..IMO.....it's the blocking schemes...or lack thereof that we use!!

Yeah, I forgot to mention the blocking in the last post. I agree 100%. But was it just me or did it seem like Larkins would always run straight to the pile of bodies on returns last year?

Larkins has no wiggle.......he doesn't have the ability to make guys miss.....has good straight ahead speed...but no vision...thus why he often ran into piles.........return men(kickoff/Punt return) need to be more elusive...than fast IMO.............

Originally posted by cookeville_vol@Mar 2, 2005 8:48 PM
I'm not trying to be a downer, but last year I remeber lots of muffed punts by Hefney.

I remember one ...or two maybe...but not the "LOTS" that you refer to...what games.....when? If anything I remember him fair catching alot of punts.......not alot of muffs....

Originally posted by vols2345@Mar 2, 2005 8:37 PM
Also our special team defense was stellar this year. I don't think anyone returned one for a touchdown on us this year.

I disagree. The only time that I saw our kick coverage perform well was in the SECCG. You are right in the fact that nobody returned any for TD's, but most started out with pretty good field position most of the time.

NO MORE QB THREADS....oops......I MEAN NO MORE PUNT RETURNER THREADS!!!!

LOLOLOL sorry I couldn't resist....you know I and probably everyone on here likes to speculate who will be what and where.....but for the first time I really don't care....I feel the offense has so much talent even if it lost 5 players it would still be #1 in the nation as far as talent....and defense always takes care of itself (except for injuries of course).....now the only thing we have to worry about is do the coaches know how to utilize that talent.....I hope they do.....but if they don't this year....I WILL be the first one starting a FIRE RS thread LOLOLOL..... :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Originally posted by g8terh8ter_eric@Mar 3, 2005 1:47 PM
NO MORE QB THREADS....oops......I MEAN NO MORE PUNT RETURNER THREADS!!!!

....but if they don't this year....I WILL be the first one starting a FIRE RS thread

My gues is SARGE will have the first fire RS thread. Probably already has one ready to cut and paste. He'll have his up if we even start 4-0.

VN Store

Back