More grist for the mill. . .

As mentioned in the article, people's car choices are a big issue. Housing is moving farther out and commutes are longer. If you choose a car that gets 10mpg and have a 30-45 mile commute then it becomes a personal choice. As much as it's needed, you can't legislate common sense.

(utvolpj @ Apr 13 said:
As mentioned in the article, people's car choices are a big issue. Housing is moving farther out and commutes are longer. If you choose a car that gets 10mpg and have a 30-45 mile commute then it becomes a personal choice. As much as it's needed, you can't legislate common sense.

Common sense isn't

(utvolpj @ Apr 13 said:

I'll admit I don't understand the SUV mentality one bit, but if the car makers aren't making anything that gets over 20mpg, the consumers can't be entirely to blame.

Unless, you go foreign, but even then the mileage of foreign car models sold in the US isn't as good as the mileage of the models they make for themselves.

brazil is independent of fossil fuel now. They now create ethanol from sugar cane and have all their cars converted to run on ethanol. The U.S. should have went in this direction a long time ago.

(oklavol @ Apr 13 said:
brazil is independent of fossil fuel now. They now create ethanol from sugar cane and have all their cars converted to run on ethanol. The U.S. should have went in this direction a long time ago.

They'll be laughing at us when we run out of oil one day and our country crashes.

America used to be able to do these things. Now, it's just all about the greed and how much we can get before everything goes to hell in a handbasket.

(Orangewhiteblood @ Apr 13 said:
They'll be laughing at us when we run out of oil one day and our country crashes.

America used to be able to do these things. Now, it's just all about the greed and how much we can get before everything goes to hell in a handbasket.
sad but true

(Orangewhiteblood @ Apr 13 said:

The really sad thing is, the billions of dollars being spent on our lifelong friends the iraq's would have more then paid for the conversion to ethanol.

i dont think we should be complaining. we created this type of society where cars are needed. we should just be privaleged to have a car. Now we act like we have a right to low gas prices.

(Crakaveli @ Apr 13 said:
i dont think we should be complaining. we created this type of society where cars are needed. we should just be privaleged to have a car. Now we act like we have a right to low gas prices.

You act as though oil is an infinite comodity. Its not. It will run out. These changes will have to be made at some point. High gas prices isn't the only concern here.

(oklavol @ Apr 13 said:
The really sad thing is, the billions of dollars being spent on our lifelong friends the iraq's would have more then paid for the conversion to ethanol.

Even if we had that money there's no way either side of the aisle would spend it on such technology. Too many making too much money from oil/auto groups. Plus those groups employ a pretty sizable workforce in the US.

You act as though oil is an infinite comodity. Its not. It will run out. These changes will have to be made at some point. High gas prices isn't the only concern here.

We just need to clone some dinosaurs and all will be ok. :p

Sad that it could come to that. I hope we will get our butts in gear before then.

Sooner or later crude oil will be depleted.Then what?Currently, 29% profit margin for Exxon Oil.Wow!

what then? Oh I'd say a total collapse of social services, a complete shutdown of commerce and trade, even factories, plants, warehouses will be shut down cause no one can get to work. The Katrina Hurricane gave us a glimpse of what life would be like without the current systems we enjoy, but it would basically be the entire nation. Lawlessness and chaos would take over and you could only keep what anyone stronger than you let you keep, id say worst case scenario.

(dan4vols @ Apr 15 said:
what then? Oh I'd say a total collapse of social services, a complete shutdown of commerce and trade, even factories, plants, warehouses will be shut down cause no one can get to work. The Katrina Hurricane gave us a glimpse of what life would be like without the current systems we enjoy, but it would basically be the entire nation. Lawlessness and chaos would take over and you could only keep what anyone stronger than you let you keep, id say worst case scenario.

I better go buy some guns then.. :ninja:

VN Store

Back