Musicians that left us by their own volition

volinbham

VN GURU
Didn't want to put suicide in the title. Don't want to celebrate the act but rather post some tunes from artists that had something in them that was both creative and destructive. I'll start with 4 that come to mind. Richie Lee (bassist, vocalist Acetone), David Berman (singer, guitar, writer Silver Jews), Mark Sandman (bassist, singer, writer Morphine) and Marc Moreland (guitarist, writer Wall of Voodoo and solo career).

Each of these artists were highly talented and pivotal to the sound (if not THE sound) of their endeavors.

Silver Jews had some Pavement members (including Stephen Malkmus). The first is my favorite. The second is just great writing

Marc Moreland - one of the most unique guitar players. If you play, listen to what he's doing - southwest vibe with punk/new wave. One of a kind

Did I miss something with Marc Moreland? I use to listen to WoV quite a bit, don't remember him taking his life.

Suicide was a central theme in multiple songs by Soundgarden. Perhaps that should have served as a warning sign of what was to come for Chris Cornell, except that in an interview with Rolling Stone in 1994 shortly after the suicide of Kurt Cobain, Cornell said that suicide was the most selfish action that a person could ever undertake ... and that was especially true of a parent of a young child, which both Cobain and Cornell were when they ended their lives. The song "Pretty Noose" is especially eerie, due to Chris Cornell's death by hanging.

VN Store

Back