My nomination for the 2024 GOP Presidential run!

Meanwhile the dumbass mayor in my city- who is in the midst of overseeing massive increases in crime and collapses in wages- crapped on the local city high school girls basketball team on Facebook.

‘Everything won this year needs asterisk’: Roanoke mayor under fire for Facebook post diminishing girls basketball playoff win

This moron got reelected this fall, along with a council that all ran with him on the same 'ticket', with shared campaigning, etc.

Virginia is a lost cause.

Yes indeed. We got tired of paying the city taxes and dealing with a local culture that best could be described as "ass", so we moved our baking operation out of town and shut down all retail. We're pocketing a heck of a lot more money now.

I left VA in 88 and every now and then still get a pang of home sickness, it's easily cured with a quick visit. Couldn't live there again.

Reactions: VolStrom and GSD82
I left VA in 88 and every now and then still get a pang of home sickness, it's easily cured with a quick visit. Couldn't live there again.
We're evaluating our options right now. My job would take me to DC on its current path (you imagine how I feel about that) but my wife is looking to continue her education somewhere, which may take us to who knows where- the programs she's aiming for are largely out west (more Utah or Texas, less California west).

Then we have as an added curveball the fact that I've got an interview for a job in Japan in early March. All we know is that we're looking to leave VA, and so are my parents.

Reactions: hog88
We're evaluating our options right now. My job would take me to DC on its current path (you imagine how I feel about that) but my wife is looking to continue her education somewhere, which may take us to who knows where- the programs she's aiming for are largely out west (more Utah or Texas, less California west).

Then we have as an added curveball the fact that I've got an interview for a job in Japan in early March. All we know is that we're looking to leave VA, and so are my parents.
fwiw...
Utah is a tax and spend state. You really need look no further than the TransRepublican they elected as a senator out there. Don't let them fool you, they are not conservative out there. And if you don't belong to the predominate religion you are an outsider. Great skiing though, and all within 20 minutes of anywhere in SLC. And some of the best golf in the country.

I don't think I could live there, but I have had friends over the years that LOVE Nevada. No state income tax either. Not really sure about the politics, but the gamblers pay for everything out there.

fwiw...
Utah is a tax and spend state. You really need look no further than the TransRepublican they elected as a senator out there. Don't let them fool you, they are not conservative out there. And if you don't belong to the predominate religion you are an outsider. Great skiing though, and all within 20 minutes of anywhere in SLC. And some of the best golf in the country.

I don't think I could live there, but I have had friends over the years that LOVE Nevada. No state income tax either. Not really sure about the politics, but the gamblers pay for everything out there.
I'm leaving it up to her, but we're for sure not opening a new business under this administration. I am OK with being an 'outsider' as my work is remote, and as long as we've got a few places to hang out it doesn't matter too much.

I'll tell her we ought to look at Nevada too. She's leaning more towards Texas right now.

My sister is out in texas now. She is ready to leave. Her apartment neighbors lit up a propane grill on a covered patio trying to get warm and set the place on fire. No real damage.

But dealing with that and no heat, no power, and other things she is sick of it.

Reactions: NEO
My sister is out in texas now. She is ready to leave. Her apartment neighbors lit up a propane grill on a covered patio trying to get warm and set the place on fire. No real damage.

But dealing with that and no heat, no power, and other things she is sick of it.

Texas sucks

I'm leaving it up to her, but we're for sure not opening a new business under this administration. I am OK with being an 'outsider' as my work is remote, and as long as we've got a few places to hang out it doesn't matter too much.

I'll tell her we ought to look at Nevada too. She's leaning more towards Texas right now.
do you have young kids? If you do, I highly advise looking outside Utah. I saw a young couple move there with two early teens, and those kids were ostracized. All the normal extracurricular activities took place at "the church" and not being members, they weren't allowed. It was actually devastating to the younger one, and within about 6 months those kids were pulled form public school and driven an hour each way to private school.

do you have young kids? If you do, I highly advise looking outside Utah. I saw a young couple move there with two early teens, and those kids were ostracized. All the normal extracurricular activities took place at "the church" and not being members, they weren't allowed. It was actually devastating to the younger one, and within about 6 months those kids were pulled form public school and driven an hour each way to private school.
No kids, yet. And I imagine if we had them there by the time they'd hit school age we'd be gone from there. Neither of us see Utah as a long-term home if we go there. Nor Texas, for that matter.

You can't ignore the county trying to put you out of business so more houses can be built.
This is so true. When I moved to Florida in the mid 90s, the air here in the spring would be perfume with all the orange blossoms. Now those orange groves have been plowed under and thousands of houses have taken their place. Coincidentally, flooding in the area has also become the rule rather than the exception in the rainy season. Yeah... politics can make a place unlivable. I always wondered why someone would try so hard to get a county commissioner gig that pays some $35K/year. I have no doubts anymore. Can't wait to get out of here.

I get it if directly affected you

Last time I was there me and my dad counted up the number of farms that were in a 10-15 mile radius of ours when I left home, there were 25-30 of them then. Now there are 4. It's not all the fault of the counties liberalization but a lot of it is. They have been successful at changing the way property taxes are structured which did away with much of the reduced rate agricultural land paid. Couple the tax issue with the harassment from the sheriffs department and health department and it's clear Blacksburg/Christiansburg wants the farms out of the rural parts of the county.

VN Store

Back