'25 NC OT David Sanders (Tennessee commit)

There’s a contingent on Nebraska fans on the board I frequent and they’re hopeful they can woo him like they did with Raiola against us. But Sanders has no family connection to there. I think it’s 60/40 UT over OSU. Kids going to be a stud wherever he plays. Just a matter of how much it’s gonna cost the team that lands him, and we know VN has deep pockets.
I think that’s fair. I think the trump card is distance from home. Sanders family is really close and it’s easier to get to Knoxville that Ohio state. And I like what you bring to the board by the way

Reactions: CedarHillVol
Isn't tOSU stadium is in a sketchy part of town?

*I saw the backside of the shoe about 10 years ago and I remember not feeling really safe about where me and my wife were at. (We went to Dublin for the Memorial tournament and stopped on our way home)
I've been, it's not bad at all. I wasn't nervous in the slightest

We begin with David Sanders as the hay is in the barn for the Sanders family. They have seen everything there is to see ahead of their decision. Tennessee got the most visits and the last visit. The Vols deserve a ton of credit because the moment he camped here last June they put the pedal down to go get Sanders.
Now they are just 15 days away from his decision and you have to feel like the Vols carry a ton of momentum in this one. Ohio State and Nebraska are going to continue to work the Sanders family and won’t go away in this one but Tennessee remains the most consistent team in this race for our liking.
-VQ

But that goes for every recruit. Why stress the cost on this particular one? Comes across as sour grapes: pointing out a negative aspect of landing the #2 overall player. Kirby wanted him and lost, money be damned.
As the #1 OT, the kid deserves the money. No doubt. But, he made it known early on that NIL would be a swaying factor. The typical recruiting pitches weren’t going to work because he could go to Carson Newman and still likely end up a first rounder.

No shade to UT. You guys put the hammer down, built the relationships, showed a path to playing time, and Coach Elarbee sold him on continued development. Doesn’t change the fact that the eventual winner of this recruitment is gonna have to pony up some dollars.

Kirby has shown a willingness to spend, example KJ Bolden last cycle, but the number grew too high for us to continue to pursue. Only bringing that perspective.

As the #1 OT, the kid deserves the money. No doubt. But, he made it known early on that NIL would be a swaying factor. The typical recruiting pitches weren’t going to work because he could go to Carson Newman and still likely end up a first rounder.

No shade to UT. You guys put the hammer down, built the relationships, showed a path to playing time, and Coach Elarbee sold him on continued development. Doesn’t change the fact that the eventual winner of this recruitment is gonna have to pony up some dollars.

Kirby has shown a willingness to spend, example KJ Bolden last cycle, but the number grew too high for us to continue to pursue. Only bringing that perspective.
Why is it that Georgia fans are so quick to act like they aren't spending as much money as everyone else in the NIL space? I hear some variation of "Georgia doesn't spend that kind of money on recruits" a lot from their fans and it's clearly not true, why keep trying to perpetuate it?

This is not specifically directed at you, more just in general.

Why is it that Georgia fans are so quick to act like they aren't spending as much money as everyone else in the NIL space? I hear some variation of "Georgia doesn't spend that kind of money on recruits" a lot from their fans and it's clearly not true, why keep trying to perpetuate it?

Georgia and Alabama were spending money before NIL. So was Clemson. That’s why Kirby, Saban, and Dabo pitched a fit about it. They told on themselves.

This idea that Tennessee is outspending others for recruits is silly and has been debunked. Ohio State is offering more for Sanders. Oregon offered much more for Brame. Kentucky and BYU offered more for Lanier. Tennessee is structuring NIL deals intelligently for the long term and they’re selling culture and relationships. Oh, and also, UT is a great place to be and enjoys incredible support.

Oh we are definitely spending. Just not in this specific recruitment. Our previous and upcoming class are heavy in elite OL so the “need” to spend isn’t there for Sanders. Would have loved to get him, just can’t justify the expense at this time.

We set the market for Bolden last cycle. Will spend heavy to land Terry and Gibson most likely. But you can’t constantly be the highest bidder on every elite recruit. The NIL fund is deep, but not unlimited.

Reactions: BigOrange15
No doubt that UGA is not in contention. Doesn’t mean I was wrong. It’s an expensive win for whoever lands him. Probably a worthwhile investment too. And further than Kirby was willing to go.
It’s never “Tennessee beat us for him.” It’s always, “We weren’t willing to match.” We’ve taken L’s from Georgia, Georgia is starting to take more L’s from Tennessee. Just be okay with it.

It’s never “Tennessee beat us for him.” It’s always, “We weren’t willing to match.” We’ve taken L’s from Georgia, Georgia is starting to take more L’s from Tennessee. Just be okay with it.
The sources I have seen say we bowed out. Could they be wrong? Sure. What we have seen and what’s logical based on our roster and recruiting classes and previous NIL ventures is that it got too expensive and Kirby backed off.

Like I said before, UT did a great job in this recruitment. Development, path the playing time, NIL, environment. All of it was too much for UGA to overcome while not matching the offers from UT, Nebraska, OSU. Still think Ohio St has a puncher’s chance, but likely a future Vol.

The sources I have seen say we bowed out. Could they be wrong? Sure. What we have seen and what’s logical based on our roster and recruiting classes and previous NIL ventures is that it got too expensive and Kirby backed off.

Like I said before, UT did a great job in this recruitment. Development, path the playing time, NIL, environment. All of it was too much for UGA to overcome while not matching the offers from UT, Nebraska, OSU. Still think Ohio St has a puncher’s chance, but likely a future Vol.
Uhhh, aaa....thaaaaaaaat IMG_8010.gif

Probably so. But not until it became obvious that Georgia was running 4th. Tennessee did the same with Babilola out of Kansas. It became a waste of time to waste resources continuing to recruit a kid who wasn’t coming.

Sure. But you just don’t back off the number 1 player in the country at a money position. His best relationships are in Knoxville, UT just had a tackle taken top 10 in the draft, it’s close to home, and he wants to beat Georgia for his 3-4 years in college. 😉

Doesn’t change the fact that the eventual winner of this recruitment is gonna have to pony up some dollars.

Well....yeah. You say that like it's groundbreaking analysis, though.

The #1 OT is gonna get paid every year, just like the #1 QB and #1 EDGE. Those are the three most important positions in football, and NFL salaries reflect that, as well.

And the cost is what the cost is. It isn't overpaying if you're competing with someone else willing to outbid you.

200 (6).gif

I know I speak for everyone when I say I was sure hoping we would get the Georgia perspective on the David Sanders recruitment. Now, if we could only get a bunch of Ohio State and Nebraska fans in here to give their two cents, that would be perfect.
I mean, why else would we come to VolNation?

Sure. But you just don’t back off the number 1 player in the country at a money position. His best relationships are in Knoxville, UT just had a tackle taken top 10 in the draft, it’s close to home, and he wants to beat Georgia for his 3-4 years in college. 😉
I think the difference is when you croot based off name, versus having a real, bonafide relationship. Davis Saunders and family strike me as types that can sniff bs.

VN Store

Back