Neil Clabo Passes

Boyhood heroes passing...

These days I can feel in my gut what must have been underneath that wistful, sad expression on my grandmothers' faces (and later, on my parents' faces) as they learned of the passing of another famous, or dearly remembered, name from their youth.

We've got a few years left now to make our own contributions. Some of us more; some less.

Last edited:
Remember the AU game well. David Langer their returner not having clue one as to where to go or what to do. Godspeed Neil.
As vividly as I remember that game's images... the rain, cleats splashing on the turf as sweeps and swing passes were attempted, and of course, the strategic punting on various downs... I can't remember if I watched it on TV or if my visual memories came from John Ward's play-by-play.

In my mind I definitely see it, but it's definitely him I hear calling the game. I guess a bad memory ain't all bad.

As vividly as I remember that game's images... the rain, cleats splashing on the turf as sweeps and swing passes were attempted, and of course, the strategic punting on various downs... I can't remember if I watched it on TV or if my visual memories came from John Ward's play-by-play.

In my mind I definitely see it, but it's definitely him I hear calling the game. I guess a bad memory ain't all bad.
I too have "watched" many games through John Ward's broadcasts. The first game I was able to attend was in my 20's and the first thing I did was to look to the mountains he so vividly described. I had been to Gatlinburg and the park a few times so in my mind I had an idea what John described and as we mostly all know, he was right on as were his game calls.

Remember the AU game well. David Langer their returner not having clue one as to where to go or what to do. Godspeed Neil.
I was in attendance and recall a booming 70yd punt if I am not mistaken. I know I remember Clabo’s huge leg during rain in this game. Neil Clabo was the first punter I paid attention to for the Big Orange, prior to the Colquitt family.

I am little older than Neil, but he was becoming a high school sports legend while I was ar West. Think that he was a feared player in
Little League baseball days. '
RIP, Neil.
....... Alzheimer's
Yeah me too. Can't help think of Ricky Townsend when I remember Neil, quite the Kicking Room Cafego had then

Last edited:

Maybe you did both? I recall people used bring transistor radios into the stadium so they would not miss the Ward’s broadcast.

My best memories of Neil was when he was a Freshman. Back then, Freshmen were not eligible to play on the varsity team. It was a cool Saturday afternoon and the Freshmen were playing nota Dame in Neyland. I brought a friend of mine who was a North Dame fan to the game. Tennessee had to punt from inside their 15 yard line and Clabo was standing in the South end zone. He took the snap and hit a perfect punt. The ball sailed into the North end zone and bounced into the North stands. My friend turned to me and said," I have never seen a person punt the ball a 100 yards before.
I had seen a 100 yard punt a couple of times before. When I was a child in Rogersville, we had a small Black Jr. College, "Swift Memorial Junior College" which had a football team. Many of us would attend their home football which were played on our High School football field. On two different occasions, I twice watched their punter punt the ball 100 yards in different games. However, about 30% of his punts were shanked off to the right and out of bounds for little of no yardage. however, when he hit it, it was kicked out go sight. They also had a terrific band and would march from their College through down town Rogersville to the football. They were the most entertaining Band I have ever seen. Their show was always outstanding and everyone was happy even if they did not win a lot of games.

VN Store

Back