New Bball recruit

kbutler

MiZpHiT
I know nothing about this kid... other than he's certainly... well... big.

Friday, 11/03/06
UT receives first basketball commitment
From Tennessean.com

KNOXVILLE – Tennessee’s basketball team received its first commitment for the 2007 class today from forward/center Brian Williams of Harmony Community Prep in Cincinnati.

Williams’ coach, Mark Metzka, said the 6-foot-9, 300-pound Williams plans to sign next week with the Vols when the November signing period opens. Williams is originally from the Bronx, N.Y., and also considered St. John’s, Pittsburgh, UNLV and New Mexico State.

The Vols will likely sign two players next week and save a third scholarship for the spring period. Wing player Cameron Tatum of Patterson Prep in Lenoir, N.C., is the second player expected to sign with Tennessee. The 6-5 Tatum, originally from Tucker, Ga., wanted to sign with the Vols during the last period, but didn’t qualify academically.

I'll say. Biiig ol boy.

I just checked out the numbers on Big Baby. He's 6'9" 290, so this new recruit is even fatter than this guy:
NAD22204020343-medium.jpg

Nice addition. Wow... he's 6'9 300lbs. out of high school, hope he hits treadmill and weights this summer. He could shed 10-15 lbs. to keep up with Pearl's frantic oncourt pace.

Oh what it would be like to have a recruiting sub-forum, I can only dream.

I think it was supposed to be humerous sarcasm, at least I think that's what he meant

coach Pearl has brought us a long way in a short time so Im hoping he knows something the rest of us do not, such as he can run the floor at 300lbs

Even if Williams loses another 30 lbs will he be able to get up and down the floor????

I suspect his guy will be an animal inside however Pearl's game is built around getting up and down the floor.

A little bit of info on Williams:

Brian Williams, a 6-10, 300-pound center from Harmony Community in Cincinnati, could be viewed as somewhat of a reach, Pearl conceded.

"But the more I watched him, the more I saw he had great hands, great feet, skills and a high basketball IQ,'' Pearl said. "You can't be scared off by the 300 pounds. I believe he'll work to get where he needs to be.''

Williams, who has already lost 58 pounds since leaving Christopher Columbus High in the Bronx, N.Y., said he knows there are skeptics.

"A lot of people don't think I can do it, and some of the players think they're better than me,'' said Williams, who's averaging 12 points and 13 rebounds this season. "Some people thought I should go to a lower school so I could shine more, but I want to take on the challenge.''

Mark Metzka, who coaches Williams at Harmony, said he doesn't believe the Vols will be disappointed.

"Brian will give Tennessee something different; another dimension,'' Metzka said. "I know he's committed to losing the weight. The biggest thing with him is his upside.

"Brian's basketball IQ is advanced considering his lack of experience.''

Williams said he only played 1 1/2 years of organized basketball in high school. Still, he was offered scholarships by Pittsburgh, St. Johns, New Mexico State and UNLV.

VN Store

Back