New Development Across The River

TBALLVOL

We all know somebody is going to make a million on the development across the river from the stadium. What would you like to see them put in over there? Personally I would like to see a "Boardwalk" type development similar to what they have in Myrtle Beach, with specialty shops, resturants, show houses, and amusements. I can see an anchor development right on the river with say, The Outdoor World headquarters with Marina and five star resort. Then I would tie it to the University and the rest of the city with a monorail that crosses the river and circles back with stops at the stadium, the convention center, market square, the old city and Thompson Bowling Arena. Talk about Knoxville becoming a destination! Can you imagine game days with all the fun and festivities available close by, It could rival Dollywood! Every recruit in the nation and thier parents will want to come to Tennessee! What would you like to see there?

Make the area you were talking about and make a bridge so people can walk over the river to the stadium. It would make Neylan that much more beautiful.

I say we make that area a "detainee" area of sorts for all of the Bammer, Dawg and Gator fans!

Or we could put up some bleachers and a black and white TV and make the visitors sit across the river.

The LAST thing we need is another "rednecked" up Dollywood/Sevierville/Gatlinburg neck fest in Knoxville.

I like the bridge idea, maybe a couple of nice restaurants or at least restaurants that would last.

Originally posted by Volunteer@Feb 25, 2005 1:34 PM
I like the bridge idea

Don't you consider the railroad tracks a bridge? That is always fun to walk over!

Originally posted by Volunteer@Feb 25, 2005 1:34 PM
The LAST thing we need is another "rednecked" up Dollywood/Sevierville/Gatlinburg neck fest in Knoxville.

I like the bridge idea, maybe a couple of nice restaurants or at least restaurants that would last.

Have you ever been to Broadway at the Beach, it is far from redneck, I personally think that is a very good idea.

Peace Cross

Originally posted by TNFanBornandRaised@Feb 25, 2005 11:05 PM
thats down in myrtle beach isnt it? if its what im thinkin of i loved that a few years ago when i went

Yes it is....there is also Barefoot Landing in North Myrtle Beach, both are very nice..

Peace Cross

Hey Cross, do you still live in Crossville? I LOVE that town. I wish I could get a teaching job there.

Originally posted by LadyinOrange@Feb 28, 2005 12:08 AM
Hey Cross, do you still live in Crossville? I LOVE that town. I wish I could get a teaching job there.

No Miss LIO, I moved to Knoxville in July of last year.

Peace Cross

If you aspire to have something modeled after Myrtle Beach, you are in trouble.

I don't mean to be a cynic guys but this IS Knoxville, not Atlanta or Nashville. Personally, I don't want the game day atmosphere to be diluted any more than it is, if you create something on the other side of the river, that takes away from tailgaters on campus, people on the strip, etc.

I would like to see some outside of the box thinking over it.

Nothing could take away from the game day experience and I personaally don't think that a development of a class resort and marina across from the stadium along with a "Barefoot Landing" type development of specialty shops, resturants, and other types of amusements could compete with the game day experience. But it could definitely enhance it, giving visitors more options after the game to be entertained and keeping them in Knoxville spending money. Many familys will not go to a game because thier is not enough to keep mom and the kids entertained. Now mom can say to Dad, "I really don't mind you going to the game because me and the kids can go to "Dickerson Landing" and have a ball!..and after the game, take a water taxi over and we will hook up have dinner on the boardwalk and then take in an IMAX movie..on second thought Honey, lets make a weekend of it and get a room at the resort!

Is this just speculation, or is there really plans to do something over there? As for logistics, isn't the quarry not far from the river?

I'm not sure if ANYTHING would fly over there. Remember, there are only 6-7 home football games a year and I doubt that lacrosse and diving fans are going to flock en masse to a new district. I think The Strip is great for pre- and post-game festivities, and it can keep its head above water with the college support. However, throwing up some high-dollar restaurants, clubs, and/or hotels in South Knoxville is pretty risky. . . . Shoney's and Wong's Palace work, but there's probably not enough $$$ or demand to support that kind of business development. Keep in mind that even the Old City (being pretty much the only spot for nightlife once you graduate from college) has trouble getting enough of a crowd.

Bottom line: out west, build away. That's where everything is moving and growing. South of the River -- unfortunately, good luck.

The motive of the development is really to fill downtown hotels and bring business to the convention center and area merchants and of course the concentration of entertainment choices and opportunities so close to UT and the stadium would only enhance the game day experince. To be successful however, the project would have to be large enough to make it a destination similar to a six flags or more appropriate "Barefoot Landing". Hopefully you can open the image by right clicking the above. I tried to get the image to come up with the post but I must be doing something wrong.

Originally posted by LadyinOrange@Feb 28, 2005 6:16 PM
Freaky could always set up a hot dog stand. :pepper:

:eek:lol:

:eek:lol: :dlol:

I've lived in South Knoxville, and THAT might actually work. . . . :question:

VN Store

Back