Neyland’s Ten Commandments

Well, the thing is, there's not really a set number.

I think Neyland has something like 33 or 34 maxims jotted in one or more notebooks. They're all captured in Andy Kozar's Football as a War Game: The Annotated Journals of General R.R. Neyland.

The team keeps 7 hanging on the wall in the locker room. Those they review before each game. If you asked a Vol fan the General's Maxims, those 7 are what you'd probably get in response.

I'd never before heard 10. I'd never before heard them called commandments. Those are Herbstreit's take on the legend. But he's not technically wrong.

Go Vols!

Kirk is an idiot. Just pull out your cell phone if you can't remember. Neyland had his game maxims and not commandments and there aren't 10. The whole thing just sounded stupid. Do your homework Kirk. He does stuff like this every game he calls........

Kirk would be good if he'd just do his homework a bit on teams he's covering, or, Google is your friend Kirk.....

Kirk is an idiot. Just pull out your cell phone if you can't remember. Neyland had his game maxims and not commandments and there aren't 10. The whole thing just sounded stupid. Do your homework Kirk. He does stuff like this every game he calls........

Kirk would be good if he'd just do his homework a bit on teams he's covering, or, Google is your friend Kirk.....

Agreed......and even worse they have those fact checkers and interns that run around there giving them notes and small fact checks during the broadcast.......you'd think someone would help him out......maybe he's that J-Lo/Mariah Carey type diva behind the scenes and they like watching him look like an idiot (Which isn't hard).

I agree it sounded goofy the way he presented it.

Reactions: LadyVolette
Well, the thing is, there's not really a set number.

I think Neyland has something like 33 or 34 maxims jotted in one or more notebooks. They're all captured in Andy Kozar's Football as a War Game: The Annotated Journals of General R.R. Neyland.

The team keeps 7 hanging on the wall in the locker room. Those they review before each game. If you asked a Vol fan the General's Maxims, those 7 are what you'd probably get in response.

I'd never before heard 10. I'd never before heard them called commandments. Those are Herbstreit's take on the legend. But he's not technically wrong.

Go Vols!
My favorite of Neyland's Maxims: If your line moves forward, you win. If your line moves backwards, you lose.

Reactions: JohnWardForever

VN Store

Back