NFL Draft

holdemvol

With the dissapointing drafts of late as far as UT is concerned, it looks like next year will be a huge turnaround. Mahelona is a lock for the first round, allen should be, Haralson could be first round with a big 05 season and Riggs should also fall under that category. It sure would be a nice change to have three or for go in the first round! comments?

Gaither could go pretty high as well if he has a great year.

alot of times the season they have doesnt decide their draft fate.

the combines is where it counts. and all those guys can push theirselves higher at the combine.

Originally posted by vol_freak@Jun 4, 2005 11:49 AM
Gaither could go pretty high as well if he has a great year.
[snapback]100789[/snapback]​

Agreed, I also forgot to add Simon, although his injuriy issues will probably drop him a bit.

Originally posted by checkerboard_charly@Jun 4, 2005 11:49 AM

the combines is where it counts. and all those guys can push theirselves higher at the combine.
[snapback]100790[/snapback]​

Good point, Matt Jones is a great example of that this year. I don't think anyone would of had him going in even the first three or four rounds this year before the combine, yet he goes first round after his workouts.

Originally posted by checkerboard_charly@Jun 4, 2005 12:49 PM

[snapback]100790[/snapback]​

More so with the later rounds. A combine is not going to propel a no name into a top 10 pick. But I know what you are saying.

Depending on the advancement of our QBs, we could have a receiver with a huge year that vaults them into the first round. Swain, Smith, or even Meachem, should they leave early, could have a break-out year that pushes them to the top of a lot of draft boards.

If we should win the SEC that gets a lot of attention.

If we win the Rose Bowl, that would get even more.

I just hope I'm wrong on any early exits though.

I think early exits are always a mistake unless you can go in the first round or early second.

If we win the Rose Bowl I could probably live with a couple of players leaving early.

Originally posted by OldVol@Jun 4, 2005 12:43 PM
Depending on the advancement of our QBs, we could have a receiver with a huge year that vaults them into the first round. Swain, Smith, or even Meachem, should they leave early, could have a break-out year that pushes them to the top of a lot of draft boards.

If we should win the SEC that gets a lot of attention.

If we win the Rose Bowl, that would get even more.

I just hope I'm wrong on any early exits though.

I think early exits are always a mistake unless you can go in the first round or early second.
[snapback]100805[/snapback]​

I don't see any receivers leaving early this year, but Meachem definately has the ability to be that caliber player. Swain is more of a posession receiver and while smith is a good player I just don't see him bolting...there are too many weapons for one to have that type of year to justify leaving. All of that being said, you never know these days.

Originally posted by holdemvol@Jun 4, 2005 2:04 PM
I don't see any receivers leaving early this year, but Meachem definately has the ability to be that caliber player.  Swain is more of a posession receiver and while smith is a good player I just don't see him bolting...there are too many weapons for one to have that type of year to justify leaving.  All of that being said, you never know these days.
[snapback]100821[/snapback]​

A QB/Receiver relationship is a strange marriage. Sometimes you can go all season long and a QB never really locks in on a top receiver. Some seasons, the QB and a particular receiver just click and everything he throws it seems that receiver somehow finds a way to get to it.

I'll say right now that UT should have two or three first-rounders in next year's draft. Mahelona is a lock with a decent season, and we have a lot of second or third-round talent that could step up and make first round.

Originally posted by holdemvol@Jun 4, 2005 3:04 PM
I don't see any receivers leaving early this year, but Meachem definately has the ability to be that caliber player.
[snapback]100821[/snapback]​

Even though he had a tough season, I would have to put Hannon up there with Meachem. Hannon has the size and speed and I read somewhere that Hannon will most likely be drafted when he decides to go. I hope that he wakes up this year.

VN Store

Back