Nice stat for Josh Heupel's offense

YankeeVol

Raised a Yank, Born a Vol
As an FBS offensive coordinator or head coach (since 2011), Josh Heupel's offenses have averaged 3,551 passing yards and 29 passing touchdowns a year. In his six seasons as a head coach at UCF and Tennessee, his QBs have thrown a total of 30 interceptions. For comparison, Georgia Southern threw 20 last year. Overall as a head coach, his QBs have a 6.3-to-1 TD:INT rate. That's three times better than the FBS average, and only Alabama as a team has posted a better rate over that span (6.44).

Last edited:
It's a gimmick though!
Yeah love those folks. Apparently those folks that say it's a gimmick are jealous that they aren't smart enough to run a system like Heupel's.
As my momma used to say "there's more than one way to skin a cat".

Note: not sure why anyone would want to skin a cat, although I'm sure cat's a delicacy in China.

Last edited:
Yeah love those folks. Apparently those folks that say it's a gimmick are jealous that they aren't smart enough to run a system like Heupel's.

Note: not sure why anyone would want to skin a cat, although I'm sure cats a delicacy in China.
Dogs, get it right. Korea until very recent times shared with China, such a preference. Not sure about DPRK. Now, 'bout the cat, I'm all for de-furring the indigo haired species north of Tennessee, and shipping the meat to China.

Note: not sure why anyone would want to skin a cat, although I'm sure cats a delicacy in China.
Is that really about skinning a cat? Or does it refer to skinning a cat fish?

Reactions: chuck0303
Dogs, get it right. Korea until very recent times shared with China, such a preference. Not sure about DPRK. Now, 'bout the cat, I'm all for de-furring the indigo haired species north of Tennessee, and shipping the meat to China.

Vietnam, China and what ? Some parts of Australia. Wut?

UK Cat meat would be too tough and tasteless for Asia palettes although we might be able to grind it up and tell them it tastes like chicken.

Catfish sounds more correct. My momma was a country girl and wasn't too sophisticated so she may have misremembered the quote. May she rest in peace.
Oh, no. I think your Momma accurately quoted it. I've always heard it that way. I was just thinking that it might have been shortened to the casual term of "cat" for catfish. And yes, may she rest in peace.

Reactions: walkenvol
Goes to show that complexity does not equal success. Our offense relies on a very simple concept, but the concept is not gimmicky. Thats the crap Kentucky coaches and players were yapping about before they got spanned in 2022.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
As an FBS offensive coordinator or head coach (since 2011), Josh Heupel's offenses have averaged 3,551 passing yards and 29 passing touchdowns a year. In his six seasons as a head coach at UCF and Tennessee, his QBs have thrown a total of 30 interceptions. For comparison, Georgia Southern threw 20 last year. Overall as a head coach, his QBs have a 6.3-to-1 TD:INT rate. That's three times better than the FBS average, and only Alabama as a team has posted a better rate over that span (6.44).
Georgia Southern?

Note: not sure why anyone would want to skin a cat, although I'm sure cat's a delicacy in China.
Interesting adage for sure. I, too, have a passing interest in etymology and read this phrase originated in the 1600’s. Not sure who or where it actually spawned forth but is still used today to indicate multiple methods to accomplish said task. Another interesting saying of which I haven’t heard used often…”more than one way to hang a dog”. That’s equally disturbing as the feline fate. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: McDad
It's a gimmick though!

This is what folks say that do not understand this offense. Its not just pass it all over the field all game. Look at games stats. The run/pass plays are close in number. In fact Hype uses the run to set up the pass like most offenses. Just because he runs a no huddle offense folks thinks that's the gimmick. Many a DC have paid the price for that assumption.

Interesting adage for sure. I, too, have a passing interest in etymology and read this phrase originated in the 1600’s. Not sure who or where it actually spawned forth but is still used today to indicate multiple methods to accomplish said task. Another interesting saying of which I haven’t heard used often…”more than one way to hang a dog”. That’s equally disturbing as the feline fate. 🤷‍♂️
Well , where I come from we call the hinges that you hang gates on "gate dogs" so ....

Reactions: tennrich1
That's like 8 years in JG years.

The triple option wishbone, flexbone, and Power I are/were really gimmicks too. Ask any defense prepping to defend those offenses.

VN Store

Back