Nico's 'solid' performance?

tennesseekilt

First of all, great win and an overall good performance by everyone other than the OL and RBs in protection. Now that the dust has settled a bit, I wanted to question the seemingly overblown praise of Nico. While I did feel like it was a good performance overall, it's hard to call 150 passing yards "showing out" in any way, shape, or form - despite what the media and online posters have contended. And while some of the runs, and obviously the TD ones, were nifty, I felt like he didn't do a great job evading rushers or passing with any accuracy while on the run.

On the plus side, and it's a huge plus, he took what the defense gave him and didn't make any costly mistakes. Still, I would have liked to see some connections on deep balls and at least one or two 'wow' plays that would have really showed us what's coming.

Am I being nitpicky? Again, love the win and I'm excited for the Nico era, but I just don't think this game was that much of an indicator of what we'll see. At least I hope not.

First of all, great win and an overall good performance by everyone other than the OL and RBs in protection. Now that the dust has settled a bit, I wanted to question the seemingly overblown praise of Nico. While I did feel like it was a good performance overall, it's hard to call 150 passing yards "showing out" in any way, shape, or form - despite what the media and online posters have contended. And while some of the runs, and obviously the TD ones, were nifty, I felt like he didn't do a great job evading rushers or passing with any accuracy while on the run.

On the plus side, and it's a huge plus, he took what the defense gave him and didn't make any costly mistakes. Still, I would have liked to see some connections on deep balls and at least one or two 'wow' plays that would have really showed us what's coming.

Am I being nitpicky? Again, love the win and I'm excited for the Nico era, but I just don't think this game was that much of an indicator of what we'll see. At least I hope not.
What yardage threshold, since it isn't 150, would be showing out?

For a freshman starting his first game, he played great. Yeah, he made mistakes, but he also showed some football intelligence you can't teach. One of his TDS he reached for the line, then pulled the ball in to protect it. Running for a first down, he stretched the ball while going out of bounds, to make sure to get it past the line. Several throws looked like veteran plays, and knowing when to tuck and run was awesome. He's young, has more to learn, and I think he will, you can just see he's a QB. When he gets more practice with the WR's for next year, and they get in sync, I believe we're going to love our offense.

Nico took what the defense gave him, and that's what you want to see in a QB.

Joe Burrow at LSU wouldn't have had stellar numbers in that game yesterday. They were easy to run on, especially if you were a QB in the red zone. Plus his deep pass to Keyton looked like one of Hooker's famous perfect deep passes, but Keyton quit on the route.

He definitely made some freshman mistakes in a collapsing pocket, but aside from that, Nico was absolutely stellar yesterday. He played that game like an upper classman, taking what was there and putting it on the money to his receivers.

19 year olds first start against a “top 5” defense looked very good. Yardage is one metric. Would you rather have 400 yards of wild passing with 3 interceptions or 150 yards with great decision making. I saw several completions that if it were Milton throwing the ball would still be circling the earth.

I asked about the yardage threshold for showing out because I know Keyton had 3 drops, and Sampson dropped 2 including a shuttle pass. Those certainly would've added to the yardage. I think the important thing about those plays is Nico's pitches were where they needed to be.

Michigan threw for 147 against Iowa. You're being nitpicky.

We just ran a true freshman out there against a good defense and he threw a TD pass, ran for 3 more and we had 25 1st downs and didn't turn it over. That's what we call . . . a good day.

There is some truth to this. But I would counter with a few things:

1) He would have had about 50 more yards and another TD if Keyton didn't stop running on the one long pass
2) This was really game #1 for Nico. He's not a polished QB yet. We're just looking for glimpses of things he can do
3) Iowa's defense is good. It might not really be top 5 good, but it's good - probably the 4th best we ran into throughout the season.
4) We were down several players on offense that would have made Nico look better

I tend to focus on the things he showed he's capable of and not the overall passing yards. And, like you said, took what the defense gave him and didn't do anything stupid. That's all he needed to do.

Reactions: Chad Powers
He had a solid performance. I don't like that he had to run as much as he did. OL has got to improve and Sampson pass protection will need work. Got a feeling we may need a solid backup QB due to injury.
Iowa top 5 defense doesn't live up to the hype.
Their offense was beyond horrible and couldn't score so that took some tension off and allowed us to more loose.

Reactions: tennesseecoyote
I asked about the yardage threshold for showing out because I know Keyton had 3 drops, and Sampson dropped 2 including a shuttle pass. Those certainly would've added to the yardage. I think the important thing about those plays is Nico's pitches were where they needed to be.
I don't know what happened to Keaton this season, but I thought he was in a great position after last season to work his way into being a good pick in the draft, although not sure what round it might have been. Not so sure now. Undrafted free agent?? Not the season he needed to have being his last.

Reactions: FLVOL_79 and Dansky

He accounted for 4 TDs in his first start as a true freshman against a good defense.

He really was accurate on those comeback throws and I was pleasantly surprised at how he was able to stay on the field and convert 1st downs to keep field position in our favor. And it was also huge how being decisive with his legs made Iowa account for him on defense which opened things up for Sampson/Seldon. True, he did eat 2 or 3 sacks that he didn't need to, but I don't know that yesterday could have possibly gone any better than it did against a quality defense.

I am basing his performance more on what I saw vs what the stat line says. Overall the offense just seemed to “flow” well and it seemed to be in sync. It wasn’t perfect, but Nico seemed confident, relaxed and in control as the leader.

I think Nico played great for his first start and being a freshman but I am not in the group who think this was a preview of his 2024 Heisman campaign. Hopefully he learns and grows from the game yesterday and he becomes one of the Vols greatest QB in the history of the program.

It does bother me that the posters who were beating up on Joe failed to acknowledge the poor play of our receivers all season but seemed to recognize it yesterday.

Last edited:

I guess you missed the back shoulder throw to Keyton while running for his life? What about the 2 seconds he had to complete most attempts. Or taking off when it wasnt there ? OH and the absolute 10 piece he threw on the deep ball that was a td to anyone not named RK. Nico played well the praise is deserved especially against a solid defense.

You’re not picky you’re being ignorant. Kid made the right decision most of the time which is about as good as you can ask for with a true freshman. Also laid up an easy TD pass for Keyton who quit on a route. Any coach would kill to have a true freshman perform like he did. I did think he held the ball too long a few times.

I am no analyst of football, but I noticed in an article about the Rose bowl that Alabama fell far short of Nico's stats vs. Michigan.

Reactions: bpalmer28

Yes, you're being nitpicky.

VN Store

Back