NIL deals

docterjaws

What does everyone think about newscasters and others talking about NIL deal amounts when they have no more information than we do? Some are throwing out incredible numbers they have absolutely no idea what is being done. Hell, even the collectives have no idea of the flow of money.

Reactions: TNVOLFN
What does everyone think about newscasters and others talking about NIL deal amounts when they have no more information than we do? Some are throwing out incredible numbers they have absolutely no idea what is being done. Hell, even the collectives have no idea of the flow of money.
It's pretty much par for the course nowadays. Sports journalism barely exists in the first place and now it's competing with all the wannabes that get a URL, a Youtube channel and a few followers on social media and pretend to matter. Some of the JV crap we get linked here is obviously just fan opinion with ads.

Well, if you are referring to the 8 million QB contract that is widely assumed to have been Nico, Bruce Feldman did say in the original article that he HAD been shown a copy of the contract by the California lawyer who drew it up (with his client's permission).

Reactions: Raebo
How dare you insinuate the media is less than 100% accurate on everything they report?

It's pretty much par for the course nowadays. Sports journalism barely exists in the first place and now it's competing with all the wannabes that get a URL, a Youtube channel and a few followers on social media and pretend to matter. Some of the JV crap we get linked here is obviously just fan opinion with ads.

And almost all of the Youtubers suck. They completely and totally suck. Just for fun -- and spite -- I looked up how many of those Youtube prognosticators the Citrus Bowl, and I only found one -- ONE -- who picked Tennessee in that game. And of course it was an Alabama fan. All the other "shows" regurgitated stupid reasons why Iowa would win, the most common one being "starting a true freshman against this ferocious Iowa defense," which anyone with a pulse and watching one quarter of Iowa's play this year would have known was moronic. It would have taken mere minutes of actual research to know how weak Iowa's opponents were offensively this year. But none of those flapping heads had a clue. They just looked at some random stats on a webpage and assumed that was enough.

I hate it. I hate all those lazy-ass Youtube morons who can't be bothered to do any work, can't be bothered to even set up a decent studio space or create some decent lower thirds and overlays, who just sit on their asses and run their mouths from their bedroom or their basement or whatever. Dozens of idiots in hoodies yammering about how "Iowa overperforms in bowl games" as if that means a damn thing. I hate it. I hate lazy shows. If I want a bunch of fat morons farting about college football, I can get that at any old sportbar. I don't need it on Youtube. That's not special. Get off the screen with that. Stop wasting Google's server space with that crap.

Sorry, I just really despise lazy content imitators. They're the worst, and college sports is plagued with them.

Nobody has any idea what this has turned into!

Last edited by a moderator:
And almost all of the Youtubers suck. They completely and totally suck. Just for fun -- and spite -- I looked up how many of those Youtube prognosticators the Citrus Bowl, and I only found one -- ONE -- who picked Tennessee in that game. And of course it was an Alabama fan. All the other "shows" regurgitated stupid reasons why Iowa would win, the most common one being "starting a true freshman against this ferocious Iowa defense," which anyone with a pulse and watching one quarter of Iowa's play this year would have known was moronic. It would have taken mere minutes of actual research to know how weak Iowa's opponents were offensively this year. But none of those flapping heads had a clue. They just looked at some random stats on a webpage and assumed that was enough.

I hate it. I hate all those lazy-ass Youtube morons who can't be bothered to do any work, can't be bothered to even set up a decent studio space or create some decent lower thirds and overlays, who just sit on their asses and run their mouths from their bedroom or their basement or whatever. Dozens of idiots in hoodies yammering about how "Iowa overperforms in bowl games" as if that means a damn thing. I hate it. I hate lazy shows. If I want a bunch of fat morons farting about college football, I can get that at any old sportbar. I don't need it on Youtube. That's not special. Get off the screen with that. Stop wasting Google's server space with that crap.

Sorry, I just really despise lazy content imitators. They're the worst, and college sports is plagued with them.

most youtuber's regurgitate what they read online. you watch one youtube channel you've watched almost all of them.

Accurate and real investigative journalism has gone the way of the VHS player and TV antenna.

If you don't know what I'm talking about.....you've made my point.

I get more reliable, accurate information from some of the fans posting here than any sports journalist. The Gruden thread some years back was the exception. It was mostly utter nonsense, but I loved that thread and spent hours, day and night reading every post. It was actually the best part of our down years.

I get more reliable, accurate information from some of the fans posting here than any sports journalist. The Gruden thread some years back was the exception. It was mostly utter nonsense, but I loved that thread and spent hours, day and night reading every post. It was actually the best part of our down years.
šŸ¤£The Gruden Thread šŸ˜†. I must confess that I trolled in there somewhat, in order to keep the fun going. There were seriously a lot of people who got swept up in the entire "where there is smoke, there must be fire" mentality.

Nah you don't really. It's 99.99999% bs here. The press is like 99.9% bs

Reactions: pimo1
1 the collectives know exactly what the flow of money is.. it's literally what they do.
2. collectives and agents leak info directly to reporters. whether that info is true or not is a different story.
Sometimes the number isn't as simple as the number. I could sign an 8 million dollar deal and only make 4 mil off it. all the deal does not necessarily have to be money.. if I'm giving a kid access to a car or house for x period of time thats part of the value. the point people miss most on is it has to be linked to the player doing something.. that's where FSU messed up. Media appearances, camps, autographs, commercials. You can't just be like hey you show up and play games we pay you x amount.

people speculate all over the place about many things. NIL amounts are talked about on message boards all across the country.

I've no problem with media also speculating on it as they speculate about 75% of the stuff they report.

Its the world we live in. As long as I know it is likely BS, let them have at it. NIL amounts is one things that absolutely does not matter to me.

Here's my speculation. The rich fat cats of college ball will game the NIL system to keep the bulk of money to themselves, and players will find themselves being stiffed. We wouldn't even have this NIL mess if the schools hadn't been so heavy-handed greedy for decades on decades.

Yeah, I know, a diploma, meals, accommodations, yadda, yadda, yadda, in the first place. Tell that to ex- players who got crippled on "expenses saving" astro turf, practice and game career-ending injuries, being dismissed even for very questionable offenses. And still seeing their images and such in promotional ads and commercials, without getting a dime. Tell that to ex players who in desperation needed more than tacos, or that defensive guy in the Dooley years (?) who in desperation, took money to feed his baby daughter. I say again, long live capitalism. Especially, when it benefits folks denied access to it. Still, NIL will be gamed to mostly in favor of schools' fat cats. Just watch.

Reactions: Sara Clark

VN Store

Back