Nintendo Switch and Switch Lite Chatter

I see a ton of kids with smartphones nowadays. Tablets are probably more common for the under 10 crowd though. My fiancee's niece didn't understand how to turn the pages of a book when she was very little--she tried swiping at them like a tablet.

Wow that's...sad.

I wasn't excited about the Skyrim remaster until now. Playing Skyrim and games like that on the go has convinced me to get a Switch

But still really really good. The 3DS has sold something like 60 million units. Not too shabby. I'm sure Nintendo would love to see those kinds of numbers on the Switch.

Yes but it's also 100 million less than the DS sold; so I'm sure Nintendo is noticing the trend.

Yes but it's also 100 million less than the DS sold; so I'm sure Nintendo is noticing the trend.

Oh for sure but that doesn't mean there isn't money still to be made here. Plus it's not over for the 3DS. Pokemon Sun and Moon will move a lot of 3D/2DS's this holiday season. It'll never catch up to the DS numbers but it will still be considered a success.

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarbage.

What a waste.

Can't agree more Wylo. I was expecting a high powered nintendo that would go against and beyond a ps4. Not a tablet that can pull out of the console. They will struggle Imo.

Never understood the tablet or phone game excitement. Much rather be playing on my 65in tv.

If this is a replacement for the 3DS also, I could see Nintendo selling different package options. Something like the whole console being $349.99 that comes with the portable screen, docking console, joy-cons, and a pro controller. Then they might also sell a portable only package for maybe $150 that just has the screen and joy-cons.

If this is a replacement for the 3DS also, I could see Nintendo selling different package options. Something like the whole console being $349.99 that comes with the portable screen, docking console, joy-cons, and a pro controller. Then they might also sell a portable only package for maybe $150 that just has the screen and joy-cons.

They definitely wouldn't sell the portable only for that cheap. It would be at least $200.

I wouldn't mind this because I play my 3ds a lot more than I do my Wii U

I'll probably end up giving this a shot. Haven't purchased a Nintendo console since the N64 when I was a teenager (although I did have the original DS).

Been with Sony ever since the PS2. Ready for something different, and I really don't ever see myself getting an xbox.

Not to mention this thing just looks cool as ****. I just hope that with the combination of handheld and console that it makes for an abundance of decent titles. I really don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on this thing only to have 4 quality games to play on it over its lifespan.

That's what initially drove me away from Nintendo to begin with. I loved my N64 back in the day, but roughly 90% of my time playing it was spent on like 5 games that I bet damn near anyone on here can already name lol

Last edited:
I'll probably end up giving this a shot. Haven't purchased a Nintendo console since the N64 when I was a teenager (although I did have the original DS).

Been with Sony ever since the PS2. Ready for something different, and I really don't ever see myself getting an xbox.

Not to mention this thing just looks cool as ****. I just hope that with the combination of handheld and console that it makes for an abundance of decent titles. I really don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on this thing only to have 4 quality games to play on it over its lifespan.

That's what initially drove me away from Nintendo to begin with. I loved my N64 back in the day, but roughly 90% of my time playing it was spent on like 5 games that I bet damn near anyone on here can already name lol

Ocarina of Time
Goldeneye
Mario 64
Star Fox 64
And... Banjo Kazooie? Maybe Mario Kart 64, Majora, or Donkey Kong 64 lol

Some updated information...

Let's start with the Nintendo Switch's screen. It is 6.2" in size, 720p and - for the first time in any Nintendo device - boasts a capacitive multi-touch screen.

(Both 3DS and Wii U featured resistive touchscreens, reliant on pressure and less precise. They were also single-touch only.)

As is standard for capacitive devices such as most modern smartphones, Switch's screen is a 10-point multitouch display, meaning multi-finger gestures are supported.

Why not mention the touchscreen in the trailer, or show users playing with it? Perhaps Nintendo did not want to confuse its messaging of Switch being able to play standard home console games on the go.

Switch does not carry the DS or Wii U branding, for example, and both of those were defined - for better and worse - by their tablet-esque stylus controls. Demonstrating touchscreen on Switch now might suggest a continuation of both those brands rather than a brand new device.

Explaining how the touchscreen will work - and how it is an optional feature - is perhaps another level of complexity than is needed in a three-minute ad, which already has a lot of information to convey.

So, how will the touchscreen work when the Switch is docked? While connected to your TV the Switch itself is out of reach - you play either with both JoyCon controllers attached to the system's grip or with a Pro Controller. The Switch's touchscreen is almost entirely obscured within the console's dock.

The answer may lie hidden in the right-hand JoyCon, which houses a short-range IR sensor in its base. This could be used to point at the TV to replicate basic touchscreen functionality, picked up by a corresponding IR sensor in the Switch's dock.

Nintendo declined to comment when contacted about this article, although last week said it had "nothing to announce" on the possibility of a touchscreen.

A Nintendo Switch media briefing will be held on 13th January where more system features will likely be announced, as well as its exact release date and software launch line-up.

A source at Nintendo has confirmed to Let’s Play Video Games that the company doesn’t have any plans to support USB Hard Drives being connected to the Nintendo Switch Dock to expand system storage.

Nintendo’s concern internally is that allowing consumers to attach large external drives to the Dock will cause players to see the system as less inherently portable, harming their core branding for the system as a portable home console.

Additionally, Nintendo want to ensure that players can at any time disconnect the handheld from the dock without having to wait for games, save data or other information to sync first. Nintendo’s solution to this is to only allow data to be stored on the handheld, so that any time you disconnect the handheld all the same data is available to the player.

According to our source at Nintendo, the Nintendo Switch will support memory expansion via Micro SD card much like the New Nintendo 3DS did before it.

Where the New 3DS supported Micro SD up to 2GB and Micro SDHC up to 32GB, the Nintendo Switch development hardware supports Micro SDXC cards up to 128 GB in size. It is currently unclear if this upper limit will be reduced on the retail model, but the development model of the Switch does support running software directly off the Micro SD card as you would off the internal memory or a game cart.

In addition, a source close to the production of the Switch reveal trailer has informed us that the Micro SD slot on the Switch can be located underneath the handheld’s kickstand on the model shown in the reveal trailer.

Last edited:
My son is going to love playing this!

yO3rlz2.gif

mario2axfq.gif

I'll get one, because I've gotten every Nintendo system except the Virtual Boy (and even that I was about 3 minutes from buying one before I changed my mind).

I'll get one, because I've gotten every Nintendo system except the Virtual Boy (and even that I was about 3 minutes from buying one before I changed my mind).

Same. I've owned them all except Virtual Boy and Wii (had no interest in motion controls). I'd never want a Nintendo console as my sole, primary console but they make great companion consoles.

In terms of sheer gameplay mechanics, I still think Nintendo games are the best in the biz. They're just fun!

VN Store

Back