Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

those will definitely be the ones pushed down our throats at least 😂 ... But you gotta add Angel Reese to that conversation and I would say Rickea as well. She is going to put people on notice. Another intriguing player who will garner a lot of interest this year will be Olivia Miles the PG from Notre Dame.
Rickea should be in that list, but Reese is not nearly as good as she is made out to be. The only thing she does extremely well is rebound and she will have a team mate this year that will cut into that number in Morrow. Defenders that are her size or bigger make her look really average on the offensive end, i.e., Americup exposed major weaknesses in her game.

Apparently Paige has chosen not to play in Europe. Azzi did, and lit up the locals for about 40.

So cool that they went to Croatia. Not only is it gorgeous, but it's the home of Nika Muhl. Saw a pic of her at her old elementary school, and a bunch of her home folks saw her play for the first time. Way to go Geno.

Apparently Paige has chosen not to play in Europe. Azzi did, and lit up the locals for about 40.

So cool that they went to Croatia. Not only is it gorgeous, but it's the home of Nika Muhl. Saw a pic of her at her old elementary school, and a bunch of her home folks saw her play for the first time. Way to go Geno.

Bueckers didn't play - apparently her Board of Directors, Investers, and Constituents advised against it.

Rickea was the best player on the team that played in Mexico without her they don't win a medal. Reese played really bad in that tourney, but she does well in the LSU system. Clark will again be a one woman show don't know if she has as much help with that team as she had last season. UConn is loaded much better than last season I can see them definitley be a final four team. ESPN is putting LSU first in their too early 25 but I don't see them as the number one team. They don't have the three point shooting and they now have three people who love to shoot the ball a lot two of which are not that efficient meaning they need a lot of shot attempts to score a lot of points. They do look to be the best rebounding team in the country.
We'll be a terrific team if a few players you expect to really progress as juniors actually do so. I like Wells and Sears at the one and two they can light up a three at anytime. Their ability to shoot out there where last season we had players at those positions that could not really opens it up for Rickea and Tamari inside. Pick your poison much more than last season. All indications are that Tamari is fully recovered and that makes for the first time in a while a Tennessee team that can put five players on the floor that can all score at a very efficient percentage.
You mention those players, but Kellie was just interviewed about how players have progressed and improved this summer and 3 players were mentioned for vast improvement; Powell, Wynn and Darby. Should be interesting to see the rotations this year and I do not think Darby gives up her starting role to a first year player. Just doesn't seem likely if Kellie is sending praises for noticeable improvement over the summer after being a top five 3 point shooter in the SEC last year knocking it down at over 40%. Wells shot a bit higher than that from 3point range, but you also have to keep in mind what conference she is coming from and the overall level of competition she faced at Belmont. Bottom line is, Kellie is deep at every position this year so it should be interesting how the minutes are distributed.

You mention those players, but Kellie was just interviewed about how players have progressed and improved this summer and 3 players were mentioned for vast improvement; Powell, Wynn and Darby. Should be interesting to see the rotations this year and I do not think Darby gives up her starting role to a first year player. Just doesn't seem likely if Kellie is sending praises for noticeable improvement over the summer after being a top five 3 point shooter in the SEC last year knocking it down at over 40%. Wells shot a bit higher than that from 3point range, but you also have to keep in mind what conference she is coming from and the overall level of competition she faced at Belmont. Bottom line is, Kellie is deep at every position this year so it should be interesting how the minutes are distributed.
I wouldn't put too much stock in KJH comments at this point. Maybe trying to encourage players who's mins are definitely going to be cut by the newcomers. Fall practice will be more conclusive.

That said, I actually do expect Tess to start the first spate of games, maybe thru Christmas. This has been a KJH pattern, working newcomers in the starting lineup. But I don't think it will take long for Jewel's mins to began to pretty far outweigh Tess'. KJH is pretty practical in that sense. I love and respect Tess' ability to drain 3s, but to be fair the competition she built her stats on wasn't much better than what Wells built her's against. It was mostly our weaker opponents. Tess was simply not able to get a shot off, therefore not a factor, against the better teams.

IMO she and Jewel will share mins situationally. When a spot shooter is needed, I'll take Tess anytime. But Spears' versatility is likely to get more of the mins. Glad we've got the combo.

I wouldn't put too much stock in KJH comments at this point. Maybe trying to encourage players who's mins are definitely going to be cut by the newcomers. Fall practice will be more conclusive.

That said, I actually do expect Tess to start the first spate of games, maybe thru Christmas. This has been a KJH pattern, working newcomers in the starting lineup. But I don't think it will take long for Jewel's mins to began to pretty far outweigh Tess'. KJH is pretty practical in that sense. I love and respect Tess' ability to drain 3s, but to be fair the competition she built her stats on wasn't much better than what Wells built her's against. It was mostly our weaker opponents. Tess was simply not able to get a shot off, therefore not a factor, against the better teams.

IMO she and Jewel will share mins situationally. When a spot shooter is needed, I'll take Tess anytime. But Spears' versatility is likely to get more of the mins. Glad we've got the combo.
Kellie came out of the gates last year with Jackson and Powell in starting roles and it did not work out to well for her or the team early on. I don't see Kellie making that mistake two years in a row, but this is a very experienced and deep team. We probably won't know until tip-off in that first game.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Kellie came out of the gates last year with Jackson and Powell in starting roles and it did not work out to well for her or the team early on. I don't see Kellie making that mistake two years in a row, but this is a very experienced and deep team. We probably won't know until tip-off in that first game.

So far in KJH era at UT that is my biggest beef with her. Way too much jacking with the lineup early on. That really needs to be sorted out better pre-season.

Particularly last season with the way we scheduled. Kea had some growing pains and Powell could not find her shot.

We can go 10 deep with experienced players but I hope to see more of sticking with what works. Felt the subs last season were paint by numbers. It really hurt us in a lot of second quarters. I don’t mind seeing everyone get an opportunity to see who is hot, but if it’s not working you’ve gotta go back to plan A.

Tara is a master at that. Particularly with shooters, like a Darby. She’ll put them in, give them 3 minutes, and 1 or 2 shot attempts. If they make the first one they get to play for a bit, miss the second, they come out. Make them both and you get to keep playing and see if you get hot. Miss the first you sit back down immediately. You’ve got to earn your minutes.

Rickea was the best player on the team that played in Mexico without her they don't win a medal. Reese played really bad in that tourney, but she does well in the LSU system. Clark will again be a one woman show don't know if she has as much help with that team as she had last season. UConn is loaded much better than last season I can see them definitley be a final four team. ESPN is putting LSU first in their too early 25 but I don't see them as the number one team. They don't have the three point shooting and they now have three people who love to shoot the ball a lot two of which are not that efficient meaning they need a lot of shot attempts to score a lot of points. They do look to be the best rebounding team in the country.
We'll be a terrific team if a few players you expect to really progress as juniors actually do so. I like Wells and Sears at the one and two they can light up a three at anytime. Their ability to shoot out there where last season we had players at those positions that could not really opens it up for Rickea and Tamari inside. Pick your poison much more than last season. All indications are that Tamari is fully recovered and that makes for the first time in a while a Tennessee team that can put five players on the floor that can all score at a very efficient percentage.
Jewel’s last name is Spear, as in Fear da Spear. 🙂

The women's coaches for cross-country, soccer and volleyball pressers that just happened were all very professionally presented. I just for fun looked up the freshmen in cross-country and their accomplishments.

So far in KJH era at UT that is my biggest beef with her. Way too much jacking with the lineup early on. That really needs to be sorted out better pre-season.

Particularly last season with the way we scheduled. Kea had some growing pains and Powell could not find her shot.

We can go 10 deep with experienced players but I hope to see more of sticking with what works. Felt the subs last season were paint by numbers. It really hurt us in a lot of second quarters. I don’t mind seeing everyone get an opportunity to see who is hot, but if it’s not working you’ve gotta go back to plan A.

Tara is a master at that. Particularly with shooters, like a Darby. She’ll put them in, give them 3 minutes, and 1 or 2 shot attempts. If they make the first one they get to play for a bit, miss the second, they come out. Make them both and you get to keep playing and see if you get hot. Miss the first you sit back down immediately. You’ve got to earn your minutes.
Although I agree with most of what you said, the last paragraph I do not. Too much pressure on the players. If you know you will be yanked if you miss two shots, they will never go in. How can a player be comfortable out there if they are looking over their shoulder, or worse at the sidelines to see the coach's reaction. They have to go out there with confidence and not have to think about nothing except play their game. Even though Tara played a lot of people, I don't believe she had the philosophy that you just stated regarding subbing.

I think CT will win the natty fairly easily IF a Huskie miracle happens and everyone stays healthy. Of course, they're like us in that they rarely -- if ever -- have a full season without someone getting injured. But if they lost just one, unless it's PB again they'll hoist that damn trophy.

As for Reese in Mexico, I got the impression she may not have done much to prepare for that tournament, either mentally or physically. She's not exactly the cerebral type and has an outsized ego, so she probably thought she was so darn good she could just skate in there and dominate with no problem. I suspect she learned a tremendous lesson there, and I'm afraid that'll make her even more dangerous next season.

But I still don't see her as NPOY material. I mean, who knows if she'll even meet the requirements to be considered? But mainly, Clark, Bueckers and Brink have to be the frontrunners IMO. Only thing I wonder about Clark is how not having the steady, dependable workhorse Monika Czinano under the basket taking some of the pressure off her. Gonna be interesting to see how Bluder adjusts to not having her.
Why do u put down Angel Reese accomplishments, she’s the reigning national champion and reigning MOP of the final four. Out of the players u mentioned Reese is not the cerebral type and has a huge ego but she figured out how to get her team to a championship. I think Clark is not the cerebral type and has a huge ego of u ask me.

I think CT will win the natty fairly easily IF a Huskie miracle happens and everyone stays healthy. Of course, they're like us in that they rarely -- if ever -- have a full season without someone getting injured. But if they lost just one, unless it's PB again they'll hoist that damn trophy.

As for Reese in Mexico, I got the impression she may not have done much to prepare for that tournament, either mentally or physically. She's not exactly the cerebral type and has an outsized ego, so she probably thought she was so darn good she could just skate in there and dominate with no problem. I suspect she learned a tremendous lesson there, and I'm afraid that'll make her even more dangerous next season.

But I still don't see her as NPOY material. I mean, who knows if she'll even meet the requirements to be considered? But mainly, Clark, Bueckers and Brink have to be the frontrunners IMO. Only thing I wonder about Clark is how not having the steady, dependable workhorse Monika Czinano under the basket taking some of the pressure off her. Gonna be interesting to see how Bluder adjusts to not having her.
I would say UConn are the favorites IF they stay healthy but it’s not gonna be easy IMO. Geno is still a great coach but I also think we are a still far cry away from his previous national title teams where there is a giant gap between him and rest of the country. People have caught up. Much more parity now. On top of staying healthy, I think it’s a legit concern how their interior looks outside of Edwards. Dorka will be missed. Beyond Edwards there is a lot of unproven talent so it’ll be interesting

You have a group of teams IMO who are capable of doing on a run to a final four. TN, LSU, UConn, SC, Iowa, VT, ucla, Utah, etc.

Why do u put down Angel Reese accomplishments, she’s the reigning national champion and reigning MOP of the final four. Out of the players u mentioned Reese is not the cerebral type and has a huge ego but she figured out how to get her team to a championship. I think Clark is not the cerebral type and has a huge ego of u ask me.
Reese is an excellent player and her coming jump start the trajectory mulkey had them when coming in. She is still very raw and limited offensively like at Maryland but her rebounding is why she is so recognized. Her passing significantly improved since she moved to lsu but without fine tuning of her offensive game, the pros will be a major struggle. She will continue to do well in college as mulkey puts her in a position to succeed.

As far as LSUs national title run. IMO ladazhia Williams and Alexis Morris were LSUs best players easily during the final four games but lsu isn’t in the mix to get to a final four without the addition of Reese

Caroline Ducharme was hit in the head with a basketball in the game with Croatia in the second quarter after making 3 3 pointers. At least that's what we have been told and she never returned. Today she was in street clothes sitting on the bench. I can't believe that she may still have the same problems as last year since she has gone all summer without any symptoms. Nothing official, but I fear for her health and career at this point. The team has already lost Jana El Alfy, the 6'4" freshman from Egypt. I'm hoping she is just kept out for precaution purposes and probably won't play in the remaining two games.

On a good note, freshman KK Arnold, Paige's heir apparent at PG, averaged 13.5 points, 6.5 rebounds, and 6 assists for the two games.

Last edited:
Reactions: glv98 and mcannon1
Reese is an excellent player and her coming jump start the trajectory mulkey had them when coming in. She is still very raw and limited offensively like at Maryland but her rebounding is why she is so recognized. Her passing significantly improved since she moved to lsu but without fine tuning of her offensive game, the pros will be a major struggle. She will continue to do well in college as mulkey puts her in a position to succeed.

As far as LSUs national title run. IMO ladazhia Williams and Alexis Morris were LSUs best players easily during the final four games but lsu isn’t in the mix to get to a final four without the addition of Reese
I agree that she does need to improve some things to be successful at the next level, but plenty of players need to imptrive, I just find it funny when some people here says that she just rebounds like it’s that easy to average 15rwbs a game. I’m not going to say any names but I’ve seen 6’6 players not even average 10 Rebs a game. But whatever I know the reason why they say they hate her and love Clark.

Reactions: 1reVOLver
I agree that she does need to improve some things to be successful at the next level, but plenty of players need to imptrive, I just find it funny when some people here says that she just rebounds like it’s that easy to average 15rwbs a game. I’m not going to say any names but I’ve seen 6’6 players not even average 10 Rebs a game. But whatever I know the reason why they say they hate her and love Clark.
Okay Dark, I’ve been on the Angel train with you, but let’s give it a rest. Their assessment of Angel was spot on and Clark hasn’t even been mentioned. You’re trying to create something that isn’t there.

Okay Dark, I’ve been on the Angel train with you, but let’s give it a rest. Their assessment of Angel was spot on and Clark hasn’t even been mentioned. You’re trying to create something that isn’t there.
Actually she was mentioned, that’s how the conversation started, but yes players need to improve for the next level. Let’s focus on this team and what they need to do to cut down the nets.

You have a tournament with UCONN, LSU, VT and UCLA and only two of those teams play each other. The scheduling/matchups don't make sense at all.

I can understand LSU/VT not playing each other as they face off less than 2 weeks later but you would think it would have been organized differently.

Maybe for the best, flohoops is a disaster

Last edited:
Reactions: chuckiepoo and dlhx
Caroline Ducharme was hit in the head with a basketball in the game with Croatia in the second quarter after making 3 3 pointers. At least that's what we have been told and she never returned. Today she was in street clothes sitting on the bench. I can't believe that she may still have the same problems as last year since she has gone all summer without any symptoms. Nothing official, but I fear for her health and career at this point. The team has already lost Jana El Alfy, the 6'4" freshman from Egypt. I'm hoping she is just kept out for precaution purposes and probably won't play in the remaining two games.

On a good note, freshman KK Arnold, Paige's heir apparent at PG, averaged 13.5 points, 6.5 rebounds, and 6 assists for the two games.
I know a lot of people criticized this comment the last time but….If Caroline were my daughter we would be done with basketball. I don’t care how much the kid, the coaches etc. want her to play, that would be the parental hill I would die on. Sometimes parents have to be the adults.

You have a tournament with UCONN, LSU, VT and UCLA and only two of those teams play each other. The scheduling/matchups don't make sense at all.

I can understand LSU/VT not playing each other as they face off less than 2 weeks later but you would think it would have been organized differently.

Maybe for the best, flohoops is a disaster
I understand LSU not playing VT, but 2 years ago the tournament in the Bahamas matched UConn and SC even though they were scheduled to play later that year. What they should have done is UConn playing VT and LSU playing UCLA. Two great matchups for both teams. Of course, Kim may have had a say. Maybe she is running things now with Geno soon to retire. LOL

VN Store

Back