Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

So just to get this straight:
When we win a close game we were lucky.
When we lose a close games the other team was clearly superior.

LMAO!

I agree Lucy lol… make it make sense!!

Tennessee is a lot further ahead of schedule than I anticipated now seeing the team play this schedule without Rickea Jackson.

negaVols are stuck between a rock and a hard place. They are shook to the core.

The LVs need a game plan to close out games and that might not look the way the coaches want it which means they need to find a balance between the guards and post players without Rickea as an option right now.

Tennessee has not been at full strength at any point this season.

Kaiya Wynn needs to play and has earned an extended role.
Her misses from 3pt range on offense have even been quality attempts.
Wynn is contributing on both ends of the court.

Last edited:
WinnerCircle, even if Rickea Jackson were able to play as early as Sunday -- which I don't think anyone expects that to happen -- it will have been quite a while since she's played and she is going to need time to get back to her top gear. I would be careful about expecting too much too soon whenever (IF ever) she does make it back. It could take a good 6 weeks, at least, for her to get back into physical and mental playing shape.

I’m not expecting anything from her when she is cleared to play.

In my post, I am saying the team is ahead of schedule. Folks have said that Tennessee had no chance at all and would be destroyed in these games against ranked opponents. That to have any success Rickea would have to carry the team on her back.
That isn’t the case. The team has played well enough to win against quality teams and didn’t close. That could be the benefit in having a healthy roster late in the season and playing now short handed to find out where the available players are and who is ready to take that next step.
Destinee Wells, Kaiya Wynn, Jasmine Powell, and Karoline Striplin all took steps forward against Notre Dame.

Last edited:
Reactions: Klclark
So just to get this straight:
When we win a close game we were lucky.
When we lose a close games the other team was clearly superior.

LMAO!
Not at all what I said. When we win it's bc we execute enough of the little things, more than the other team. When we lose it's bc we don't. We're wildly inconsistent in whether we do or don't, which is why we're up one game and down the next. That's all. Nothing new or unusual.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
WinnerCircle, even if Rickea Jackson were able to play as early as Sunday -- which I don't think anyone expects that to happen -- it will have been quite a while since she's played and she is going to need time to get back to her top gear. I would be careful about expecting too much too soon whenever (IF ever) she does make it back. It could take a good 6 weeks, at least, for her to get back into physical and mental playing shape.
I agree with you..I wouldn't put all my eggs in that basket til RJ gets 100% and gets game rust off...

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I watched LSU dismantle Virginia Tech last night. Saw Arkansas spank Florida State. Found time for South Carolina and their neighbors to the north. Enjoyed all! Became concerned at some point and realized that the return of Jackson alone will not solve what ails us. Yes she will stop the bleeding this year. But we need an infusion of more atheletic and bigger players.

Our best offensive team seems to be Wells, Powell, Spear, Pucket, and Striplin. Hard working, dedicated women that deserve our support. However, three of those players will be smaller than their counterpart most nights. Additionally, outside of Powell we don't have a rebounder in that group. It's not a lack of desire, effort or commitment. Part of it seems to be a lack of quickness, arm and hand strength and jumping ability from a standing still position. Not sure if any of those skills can be corrected completely with strength and conditioning but that's a start. If you ever played the game you are familiar with rebounding machines and wrenching up the weight to pull a ball off the spring loaded arm. This is a fundamental basic basketball skill that (outside of Powell) we struggle with on every scrum under the rim.
Notre Dame realized this in our last game. Put in bigger stronger players and we lost.

I believe the UNC game was a good wake up call for the SC team, I would anticipate they come out strong vs Duke on Sunday. If they do not, there is room for concern with the readiness of this squad for big games In spite of the ND and MD games, which might not end up being as strong as we believed but I’m betting this team responds vs Duke. I still believe in them even if they will have to grow and take some lumps early.

I believe the UNC game was a good wake up call for the SC team, I would anticipate they come out strong vs Duke on Sunday. If they do not, there is room for concern with the readiness of this squad for big games In spite of the ND and MD games, which might not end up being as strong as we believed but I’m betting this team responds vs Duke. I still believe in them even if they will have to grow and take some lumps early.
Don't see what you're fussing about. Conventional wisdom going into the year was that this team was young and inexperienced and would lose 4 - 6 games.

Now you're complaining because although they're unbeaten, they didn't score 100 and win by 30 in a grudge match win? Against a team that's ranked 24? A team that returned to full strength after losses due to injuries/maybe looking ahead? A team that was playing at home in front of a capacity and very supportive crowd?

Reactions: glv98
Don't see what you're fussing about. Conventional wisdom going into the year was that this team was young and inexperienced and would lose 4 - 6 games.

Now you're complaining because although they're unbeaten, they didn't score 100 and win by 30 in a grudge match win? Against a team that's ranked 24? A team that returned to full strength after losses due to injuries/maybe looking ahead? A team that was playing at home in front of a capacity and very supportive crowd?
Preseason ”conventional wisdom” was not expecting them to come out of the gate like they did in the first five games. That run back to #1 brought with it thoughts of another final four or ship type season. The UNC game, as I was explaining, brought the balloon back down closer to earth. There will be many more tight games like that one this season and it’s fair at this point to say that against UNC they didn’t play particularly well in their first tight game.

Preseason ”conventional wisdom” was not expecting them to come out of the gate like they did in the first five games. That run back to #1 brought with it thoughts of another final four or ship type season. The UNC game, as I was explaining, brought the balloon back down closer to earth. There will be many more tight games like that one this season and it’s fair at this point to say that against UNC they didn’t play particularly well in their first tight game.
The kicker there is they won. Every great team has those games where they really gotta claw it out to win. It was against “rival” school so in a raucous environment like UNC hasn’t been rocking like that for the ladies in a minute . I think they handled it well by winning and they’ll learn from it. Specifically behind the leadership of Bree Hall. That girl has it

Yeah I fully expected South Carolina to need a little time to work things out. Did not expect to see a freight train right away. I’m sure there will be some bumps but Dawn did a wonderful job this summer.

The point guard play is the best it’s been in years, that was the biggest hangup for USC the last several seasons.

Yeah I fully expected South Carolina to need a little time to work things out. Did not expect to see a freight train right away. I’m sure there will be some bumps but Dawn did a wonderful job this summer.

The point guard play is the best it’s been in years, that was the biggest hangup for USC the last several seasons.
Absolutely love Raven Johnson! She’s such an elite PG.

Also the 4 position will work it's self out i think, 6-3 Kitts 6-3 Watkins, The two players are playing really well right now. Kitts still needs to get stronger for that position and work on foot work i think. Watkins is on another level just crazy athleticism on both ends of the floor.

Can u tell me who will win?
What are our beloved LadyVols chances of winning the Championship?
I could not guess who will win. But teams with fist fights and mothers involved typically don’t win.
With fifth year seniors and so many significant injuries this year seems wide open to me.
Maybe 15 teams who could pull it off. MY beloved Lady Vols being one of those 15 (you’ll have root for your own beloved team).
Maybe a west coast team this year.

I could not guess who will win. But teams with fist fights and mothers involved typically don’t win.
With fifth year seniors and so many significant injuries this year seems wide open to me.
Maybe 15 teams who could pull it off. MY beloved Lady Vols being one of those 15 (you’ll have root for your own beloved team).
Maybe a west coast team this year.

How do you know teams that have fistfights and mothers involved don’t win championships? I’ve seen many teams like that that have won.

Teams are starting to get their defenses down and have also had an opportunity to scout teams a little bit better. Those first few games no one really knows how their opponent's offenses or defenses are going run or who is going to be the go-to players at that point. A lot of it is "get out there and play." As the season goes on, opposing coaches will begin to break down the week spots and game plan just as Banghart did the other night. She actually had a nice game plan more possessions going UNC's way, the results would have been different.

VN Store

Back